Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.0

SandervG

Posted · Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.0

hiya,

I use the custom settings a lot and it seems I lost a lot of space for them.

I am in the process trying to understand how the software is put together so I can try something different. there is a lot to understand but I am slowly getting to grips with the Uranium frame work. I am now just trying to work out how everything is linked together and from there see how I can change the GUI layout. in the mean time I played around with paint to see how I envisage the layout and this is what I am hoping to achieve.

5a33400e88aee_Cura3.0.thumb.jpg.ffa73efbb687b2b249c7d140f2cb005b.jpg

I am hoping that I can have the 'solid/x-ray/layer' view panel floating.

I also want to deal with the 'print over network' button covering the print details.

other than that it's another good job team.

5a33400e88aee_Cura3.0.thumb.jpg.ffa73efbb687b2b249c7d140f2cb005b.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.0

Yes, that is partly my fault. The shader that should draw the grid lines is broken on older GPUs. A fix was made, though it was not included in the 3.0 release.

You can fix this by replacing C:\Program Files\Cura 3.0\resources\shaders\grid.shader with this file:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ultimaker/Cura/1313e01f04838ac0a2d83b332dc57b6f5db0b87c/resources/shaders/grid.shader

Fixed mine on my iMac thx ...

On Mac you select the application, right click -> show content -> Resources -> resources -> shaders -> select the file grid.shader right click and edit with Text editor ... copy n paste (replace) the text ...

Edited by Guest

On Mac you select the application, right click -> show content -> Resources -> resources -> shaders -> select the file grid.shader right click and edit with Text editor ... copy n paste (replace) the text ...

And you don't get a "Cura.app is damaged and cannot be opened" dialog after making that change?

Quote by driedeedesign

And you don't get a "Cura.app is damaged and cannot be opened" dialog after making that change?

Here the same, (macbook pro 2110). Worked great. There is no 'resources' in the Application Support-cura.

Edited by Guest

Yes, that is partly my fault. The shader that should draw the grid lines is broken on older GPUs. A fix was made, though it was not included in the 3.0 release.

You can fix this by replacing C:\Program Files\Cura 3.0\resources\shaders\grid.shader with this file:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ultimaker/Cura/1313e01f04838ac0a2d83b332dc57b6f5db0b87c/resources/shaders/grid.shader

thx your yhe greatest :-)

Hi

I need just a little more detail on how to replace the grid.shader file. Should I copy and paste the new file into word?

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the great work on Cura, and for making it available for third party printers. I use a Printrbot Metal Plus, and used to pilot it using Cura 15.xxxx. Now, I read about upgrades for Cura, and decided to give it a try.

The improvements on slicing are great and something I cannot miss!

However, I was unable to go through a full print using USB. The head simply stops mid-print, and seems stuck in a loop turning repeatedly the fan on and off. I know there are many thread warning against the use of USB to drive your printer, but I never had any problem with the precedent versions of Cura (never tried 2.x though). Generating the gcode with Cura and injecting it with pronterface leads to the same result -> the prints stops early. Rolling back to 15.04.02, i was able to print a test cube without problems. Can you give me clues on what's going on here ? Is there anyway I can avoid the SD card hassle ? Also, I didn't find any preset for printrbot plus, they existed previously, is this possible to get them quite soon (I manually set it, so this is not a critical problem here, but the starting gcode is going hard on the endstops on the initial sequence from printrbot simple)

Thanks for your advice!

Little precision regarding my last post : generating a gcode file in 3.0.3 then sending it through old 15.04.2 generates the same results : prints gets stuck in a loop. I guess there is something in the gcode the printer or the USB transmission cannot handle. I'll try updating the firmware and will be back to you...

Why can't I select the layer height from the "Recommended" mode for Ultimaker 3? works fine for Ultimaker 2

5a334089b7d29_Screenshotfrom2017-10-3113-07-03.png.da9ac762ca39e34729d25165ebd8ab08.png

Why can't I select the layer height from the "Recommended" mode for Ultimaker 3? works fine for Ultimaker 2

5a334089b7d29_Screenshotfrom2017-10-3113-07-03.png.da9ac762ca39e34729d25165ebd8ab08.png

Because the combination in the second extruder.

Hi, this is my first post after printing on a Ultimaker 3 for about a month now. Not sure if it is the right place this thread, but I would like to suggest to improvements to Cura:

1) It will be very nice to be able to pause the print not by height but by layer number, having different layer hights make it very confusing to calculate the right height (or alternatively, displaying in the X-view mode the height of each layer)

2) I have been experimenting with ABS and TPU, my aim is to us TPU as either in the grip zones or top layers for abrasion / vibration resistance. When blending the two stl files, it has been impossible for me not to finish with layers of both materials along the whole object, when I just need it on the surface. Could it be possible to align "manualy" two models by selecting 3 contact points in each model?

3) It would be very nice to have the possibility as an advance mode to be able to edit layer by layer some of the key parameters (orientation, infill, wall thickness, layer height) as it is possible with Eiger (software for the Markforge printers).

I hope this contributions could be useful for others.

It's very confusing as I had nothing loaded for the second extruder. If I select PVA then I can select the layer height. There isn't an option for none selected. I even tried unloading the printhead, and that didn't do nothin'

Hi,

@SandervG Cura3.0 looks awsome and seems to work good. But is there a string on the Forum for forwarding problems with Cura3.0? Strange enough I seem to experience troubles on my iMac with the display of the buildplate grid. And on my MacBook it seems to work great and displays perfectly.

gr. Frank

Hi Frank, sorry for my late reply. I must have overlooked your tag. You can leave your feedback here, it is also being monitored by our developers.

It would be helpful if you could include some details about your operating system, video card and iMac. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi,

@SandervG Cura3.0 looks awsome and seems to work good. But is there a string on the Forum for forwarding problems with Cura3.0? Strange enough I seem to experience troubles on my iMac with the display of the buildplate grid. And on my MacBook it seems to work great and displays perfectly.

gr. Frank

Hi Frank, sorry for my late reply. I must have overlooked your tag. You can leave your feedback here, it is also being monitored by our developers.

It would be helpful if you could include some details about your operating system, video card and iMac. Thanks!

Would love to get the proper fix to installing the newest version on a PC with W7 64 as an upgrade from Cura 2.7

Have tried to delete folders and to re-install but no go. I am still using 2.7 would like to go to 3.? but can't get it to install and actually open. It starts to open then crashes

Dr Dave (NOT a computer type so writing and editing code is not a real option)

• Like 1

The 3.0.4 should have a fix for the buildplate issue.

@ahoeben : nope ... worked perfect for me. For Mac OS use following steps :

1.thumb.png.ec918ceab910cef9ae6a7eb591a821a4.png

2.thumb.png.f6f9167cd46a2adc13503f98fd8e72de.png

3.thumb.png.c5299644e9563ba8448a2c04a79df1c4.png

4.thumb.png.2a97f7fd4b408d4a5d4d8aab68405716.png

Edited by Guest

I see 3.1 is out, very nice.

Two requests....

1) As asked before, could you please add an Import Simply3D Profile into Cura? The FFF file is a simple text file and would save a LOT of time for people wanting to try Cura. Otherwise, it's a long journey if comparing and checking off settings within Cura's vast Settings page. Please and Thank You.

2) I'm not sure what to call it but what's that reflective shine/rings that the models show up with in Layer view? It's just very annoying.

CaptureRings.thumb.PNG.76e149ae9572dfc4dd7e556a38e35255.PNG

Are you referring to the blue out line of the model?

I think it's to show the extremities of the model whilst you are analyzing the layers for printing.

Bex

I think it's to show the extremities of the model whilst you are analyzing the layers for printing.

Bex

Please don't take offense...note the arrow and question mark on the left side.

He's referring to the moiré pattern (aliasing). This could be fixed with (more aggressive) anti-aliasing, though that comes at a cost of lower performance on older GPUs. That would make it yet another thing to configure in preferences.

Edited by Guest

As asked before, could you please add an Import Simply3D Profile into Cura?  The FFF file is a simple text file and would save a LOT of time for people wanting to try Cura.

Can't remember having seen that request before. A proof of concept could be simple to implement, but I think getting it to work 100% will be impossible. I don't think there is a 1:1 relation between the S3D settings you can set in an FFF file and Cura settings. Setting-names can be translated, but concepts and approaches are much harder to tackle.

Is the FFF format (and the settings!) documented somewhere?

Can't remember having seen that request before. A proof of concept could be simple to implement, but I think getting it to work 100% will be impossible. I don't think there is a 1:1 relation between the S3D settings you can set in an FFF file and Cura settings. Setting-names can be translated, but concepts and approaches are much harder to tackle.

Yes, here it is....

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/articles/working-with-file-types/

I understand it wouldn't be a 100% match, based on how frequently Cura updates versus S3D. But it would be very convenient option. Perhaps telling the user what fields it could not match and left alone?

He's referring to the moiré pattern (aliasing). This could be fixed with (more aggressive) anti-aliasing, though that comes at a cost of lower performance on older GPUs. That would make it yet another thing to configure in preferences.

Well I have an Intel HD4000 chipset on one home laptop and my work PC has an Intel HD Graphics 530. Both get the same effect (work PC 6 months old).

I'll look in the preferences to see what's available to alter it.

Yes, here it is....

That does not seem to actually document the file format. It does not even have a sample fff file. Note that I don't own a copy of S3D, so I can't make these files myself. Also I would need an overview of *all* the settings that can be included in an FFF file.

Could this be something S3D and Cura are equally bad at? Documenting settings and file formats?

Yes, here it is....

That does not seem to actually document the file format. It does not even have a sample fff file. Note that I don't own a copy of S3D, so I can't make these files myself. Also I would need an overview of *all* the settings that can be included in an FFF file.

Could this be something S3D and Cura are equally bad at? Documenting settings and file formats?

Here's what an FFF file (in this case Chris' Creality CR-10 one) looks like...

<?xml version="1.0"?>

Creality CR-10(2)
    PLA
    Fast

Rectilinear
    Rectilinear
    45,-45

0,0|0,0|0,0|0,0|0,0|0,0
    RepRap (Marlin/Repetier/Sprinter)
    r2

G28 ; home all axes,G1 Z5 F3000 ; lift,G1 X20 Y2 F1500 ; avoid binder clips,G1 Z0.2 F3000 ; get ready to prime,G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance,G1 X120 E10 F600 ; prime nozzle,G1 X150 F5000 ; quick wipe

M104 S0; turn off extruder,M140 S0 ; turn off bed,G1 X0 Y300 F1000 ; prepare for part removal,M84 ; disable motors,M106 S0 ; turn off fan,,M300 S294 P200 ;D4: 294,M300 S588 P200 ;D5: 588,M300 S440 P200 ;A4: 440,M300 S392 P200 ;G4: 392,M300 S784 P200 ;G5: 784,M300 S440 P200 ;A4: 440,M300 S740 P200 ;F#5: 740,M300 S440 P200 ;A4: 440
    gcode
    Star Wars

Bex

Please don't take offense...note the arrow and question mark on the left side.

nah that's ok. I didn't notice the ? and thought it was what I thought it was. but never mind. the answer came in the end. just a graphics thing not much more. :)