The Spring Report (The first big 3D Fair in Erfurt Germany) 2013

ian

Posted · The Spring Report (The first big 3D Fair in Erfurt Germany) 2013

The Spring Report (The first big 3D Fair in Erfurt Germany) 2013

So for anyone interested I want to share some of my expereinces from the Erfurt 3D Print Show.

Ok lets just start off with mister VIP. Florian Horsch was like always a mega block buster of energy and activity.

The man really threw himself into this whole fair like the best Kamakassi pilot possible and without his energy, the fair would have been half of what it was...... so a great big irish applause for mister Horsch !!!!

The fair itself was in my opinion and I think many other members here would also agree, a fantastic atmosphere of innovators, new startup companies, big business sneaking their eye in on what great things were doing and also the general public.

There was a fantastic turn out of different german and also international 3d print companies with every type of possible 3d printer from the most afforadble little monster printers to the biggest MOMOs !

As the fair was actually two fairs built together, there was also an amazing atmosphere where the big boys with their half a million euro printers were looking carefully at the low budget maschines and being really blasted away with the quality and innovative solutions that are coming out at the moment.

And on the other side, there were the armies of tweakers, hobby modelers and technical guys that snook in around the million dollars maschines and just started thinking, how can we do that ? for... 100 euros.... and that is just the richest atmosphere possible for new innovations to be created.

The fair was also a fasntastic place to meet the well known characters behind this revolution and get a feeling for the development of this technology and also the dynamics behind the companies.

I had personnely great luck in finding a very warm welcome to the ultimaker team in Erfurt.

For such a massive potential market in Germany, ultimaker surprisingly only sent two represenatives Harma and David.

They were incrediby undersupported for the amazingly important task given to them, to bite into the german market on behalf of ultimaker.

But like two little heroes, they took both sides of the titantic presentation, lifted it out of the deep german water and got it successfully into Harbour... Ultimaker you should be very very proud of these people !!

And I have to add, Ultimaker has to be very careful about focusing totally on America, yes its cool and the LAND OF OPERTUNITY!

but

the post costs from Europe to America is a big problem for potential customers and also if you ignore the MONSTER !!!!! market here in Germany, really really bad products like Fabster are just goin to take over, control the market and then in 2 or 3 years, when Ultimaker really push hard into germany.... the door... will be closed !!

as the germans say... ACHTUNG MEIN FREUND !!!

I also had the opertunity to see Joris in action giving a very colourful presentation about his different experiences and printing technics and honestly, if there was an option to buy a DVD,,, Joris, Penises and Pistols in 3d printing, id buy 10 !

Fantastic charcter, humble and a bloody genius !

I was also very fortunate to have quite some time with Bernhard Kubicek

from Vienna Austria and also Daniel Sjöstrand from Stockhom Sweeden.

It was like a blast of fresh air on my face to meet such amazing gentlemen. They really wowwed me with their warm hearts, inteligence and love for the future of this technology. I would count myself a very luck person to be able to meet these gentlemen again !

I think the only problem I had with this 3D Fair in Germany was I met too many amazing people that I think my fingers will fall off if i try to write about them all.

SHAME ON YOU ERFURT MESSE FOR MAKING YOUR FAIR... TO GOOD ! :smile:

Report finished and now im going to bed.....

Ian :smile:

2013-05-14093928.jpg

Bernhard Kubicek

David from Ultimaker

Harma Woldhuis from Ultimaker

Ian Spring from S&P Sahlmann Gruppe Leipzig.

photos 3

Mario Hüttenhofer presenting his 3d scanning system.

2013-05-14112511.jpg

photo 5

Ian Spring presenting for S&P Sahlmann Gruppe Leipzig Germany.

2013-05-14140448.jpg

photo 6

Gijs and Sander presenting ColorFABB

2013-05-14160638.jpg

photo 7

Daniel Sjöstrand and Ultimaker Harma Woldhuis

2013-05-14170158.jpg

photo 7

Daniel Sjöstrand from Stockholm Sweden, admiring his new investment.

2013-05-14171828.jpg

Excellent write-up Ian, I totally agree with your summary, fantastic people! :)

And I'll add that both Bernhards presentation on motion control and your presentation on using Ultimaker for architecture were both very educating and entertaining!

I can really recommend this fair both for the knowledge sharing, the inspiration and all of the great fun and I'll definitely get back next year :-)

Small note: my name is spelled "Daniel" and not "Danial" and I'm not in denial of anything ;-)

/Daniel

Ian isn't his name "Daid", not "David"?

Daids real name is actually David.

If you want to be perfect you also should say it correctly like this... DA...VID

Sounds like the welsch version of David in the english comedy series LITTLE BRITAIN (Yes I am the only gay in the Village ! )

Ian

Excellent write-up Ian, I totally agree with your summary, fantastic people! :)

And I'll add that both Bernhards presentation on motion control and your presentation on using Ultimaker for architecture were both very educating and entertaining!

I can really recommend this fair both for the knowledge sharing, the inspiration and all of the great fun and I'll definitely get back next year :smile:

Small note: my name is spelled "Daniel" and not "Danial" and I'm not in denial of anything :wink:

/Daniel

Name corrected !! ;-)

Have a great time in Italy !!

Ian :-)

Hey everybody!

Thanks for the wonderful feedback - we had such a great time with all you you. Next time we do it even bigger and better.

Just a quick update: I'm starting to upload the videos. It's a REAL mess... large files and super crappy sound from my GoPro camera. But probably it will help the one or the other. I keep you posted on it.

Feedback so far:

- Presentations in English only.

- Better recording

- Larger booth and more staff for Ultimaking ;-) (not really in our power)

Take care and talk to you soon

Flo

yes it is in our power and ! easily solved !!! half a dozen of us print out amazing ultimaker tshirts next time, print a few extra cool posters and bombard their tables with even more ultimakers and... BY GOD.... we will scare the underpants off Makerbot next time !!! ;-)

Ian