SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

thopiekar

Posted · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

Hey guys,

could you please confirm that 0.4.3.1 is working?

I noticed a strange bug in this version.

- Thanks!

Have not tried 0.4.3.1. I re-installed 0.3.7 and it seems to work fine. I have had no success with any of the 0.4.X.X versions. Is it possible to increase the resolution? When I save a file out of SolidWorks, I choose a "Custom" setting as I find the default "Fine" setting results in a faceted model.

Deviation.thumb.JPG.0389a6cf2233cbab976955efa9a002a0.JPG[/media]

Thanks for all of the effort to perfect this Plugin.

• Like 1

Hey @XYZDesignPro,

don't want to make early promises, but found a solution for my bug here and I guess it will fix your issue, too.

Will create a .curaplugin package soon. Could you be so kind and give it a try?

To answer your question:

This will come soon. With 0.5.x there will be "3D printing" profiles.

What do you think about these parameters?

- https://github.com/thopiekar/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/blob/0.5/SolidWorksReader.py#L467

Hope it is not too difficult to read the values out of the source code.

Depending how difficult it is to design the UI, I can add "Custom" settings, too.

Actually I'm doing this when using my "3D printing" profiles.

Posted (edited) · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

You can find 0.4.4 in my personal archive. The plugin is currently nowhere released and/or documented.

LINK REMOVED

PS: 0.4.4 now released.

Edited by thopiekar

• 2 months later...

Version 0.5.0 (unreleased) available for testing:

https://thopiekar.eu/download/CuraSolidWorksPlugin-0.5.0.curaplugin

.. and a small guide how to install the plugin using this file:

https://thopiekar.eu/cad-integration/solidworks-plugin/installation/#manual-install

Finally, more about the new features:

https://thopiekar.eu/cad-integration/solidworks-plugin/

Edited by thopiekar

It would be nice for the plugin to work without requiring solid works as I sometimes get solidworks files from clients. Though I can take them into 3DS AMX and convert, it is just an extra step.

Well, shouldn't be too difficult, if I would have a Webserver in Windows and SolidWorks 2018 installed. So the plugin could use a web interface to convert the files externally.

However, I have neither the capacities nor a recent SolidWorks licence, so therefore don't expect any solutions for this in the short term.

And 3DS is not the right person, when it comes to free software solutions. Autodesk is there a more helpful partner so far.

42 minutes ago, thopiekar said:

Autodesk is there a more helpful partner so far.

I would not agree with that at all. Let me put it this way; I was a Certified Instructor until I just gave up on them doing the right thing. I only mentioned it because I have the option from an old license. But many do not and I could see that they may have the same issue I do with receiving files and not being able to afford Solidworks.....again, a not free solution.

Might be your opinion, but Autodesk gave me the possibility to get into their Beta program for Autodesk Inventor, because the Inventor plugin (which is still unreleased) is opensource. So, yes, for opensource interests you get from Autodesk software for free whereas 3DS gives a damn and does not call back on license requests.

There are even more details I could tell and share, but this is not the right place.

16 minutes ago, thopiekar said:

Might be your opinion, but Autodesk gave me the possibility to get into their Beta program for Autodesk Inventor, because the Inventor plugin (which is still unreleased) is opensource. So, yes, for opensource interests you get from Autodesk software for free whereas 3DS gives a damn and does not call back on license requests.

There are even more details I could tell and share, but this is not the right place.

I was in their beta program until they told us to stop reporting broken software and only to let them know if new features worked. I also have a lot more. So, you can defend them all you want, but as a user since the inception of 3DStudio DOS in '91 I think I actually have a lot of history to back up my opinion. While you may be grateful to them for that, they also roll out a lot of free stuff and then kill it.

Basically, you have your opinion, I have mine. But at the same time, your comments do not address the disconnect of how comparing the option of a paid for program being needed to run the plugin while citing 'free software options.' Solidworks is $3995 which is $400.00 more than 3DSMAX. Neither is cheap or free.

Edit: And, by the way, I get that you are trying to do something nice. I am not saying that is bad. I am saying that it would be nice for the people who use Cura to be able to use the plugin without having to go to such expense with the master program or expensive alternatives. It is not like you are programming something to compete or steal from Solidworks. There is no manipulation of the file at all. Just output. That would not encroach on their business model at all, but instead, expand it.

Edited by kmanstudios

27 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

stop reporting broken software

Well, I guess the problems where known and they just took the wrong words. Happens often, I guess.

27 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I actually have a lot of history to back up my opinion

No doubt, but at the moment they are the only ones, who are showing interests in my projects and are willing to help. This is realistically seen the case at the moment.

The plugin is a free software solution! It just requires SolidWorks to be installed. If you really have the opinion that the plugin is not for free because it depends on SolidWorks. Furthermore tell me then how can be other Windows software be "freeware", when Windows itself is not for free? The image I have currently in my mind does not make sense.

I hope I understood your point in the last paragraph correctly..

Edited by thopiekar

I never said the plugin was not free. I did say that you remarked that not everyone can get 3DS MAX. I just said the same for the more expensive program, Solidworks.

You are mixing apples and oranges and got your dander up because you seem to think I was belittling your efforts. But, you cannot compare the cost of an operating system to having to further purchase software.

The freeware for Windows, iOS, Linux, etc. does not require the additional purchase of another program. The OS is required to operate the system. And, yes, Linux is free for the most part.

Your plugin is free. Requiring the use of a paid for software package is not. Those are not the same issues.

An example would be that Cura is freeware. Cura allows you to bring in .OBJ files. Cura does not require you to purchase another program to be useful in that arena.

Your plugin is nice for people who already have Solidworks, but not for those that do not. And, if I am not mistaken, Solidworks exports to STL and that renders the native format useless anyway for those who already have it.

Again, I see what you are trying to do. I think it is good. But I also would like to have it be able to work without having to purchase an expensive program to allow it work. I mentioned 3DS MAX because I have it. Many do not. That is why I mentioned it. It would open up a lot of people who are just printers to being able to operate on a different file format natively for output.

1 minute ago, kmanstudios said:

You are mixing apples and oranges and got your dander up because you seem to think I was belittling your efforts. But, you cannot compare the cost of an operating system to having to further purchase software.

5 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

The freeware for Windows, iOS, Linux, etc. does not require the additional purchase of another program. The OS is required to operate the system. And, yes, Linux is free for the most part.

I can compare it with an OS. When thinking of the architecture of software and hardware, an OS is just closer to the hardware, but it does not change the fact that it is still software. You can't convince me of this.

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

An example would be that Cura is freeware. Cura allows you to bring in .OBJ files. Cura does not require you to purchase another program to be useful in that arena.

Because the content of an OBJ file is known. SolidWorks keeps their "intelligence" inside their files close. That is the issue, not that you have to pay for SolidWorks. Although, 3DS could provide you a file reader like Adobe Acrobat..

7 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Again, I see what you are trying to do. I think it is good.

Thanks! ;):+1:

8 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

But I also would like to have it be able to work without having to purchase an expensive program to allow it work.

I understand, but the solution for the current situation is only a paid version of the plugin, where I could compensate the costs. But I don't see at the moment an audience, which is willing to pay for a software solution like that. Therefore no ground for this feature to grow.

Again, the brunt of my original message was that it would be nice. If you had simply stated that Solidworks will not let out their format code, then that is all that needs to be said.

And, that is shallow thinking for them. Do you have any idea how many times I have requested a format output and the so-called experts at the firms I have done work for and did not know how to output the files in a different format? It would behoove them to allow for the free exchange of format information the way the .OBJ format did way back in the days of Maya, and even the FBX format now freely available.

"I have no idea what to do to export..." facepalm.........

Cannot even tell you how many times I have had to install a trial version of software just to work with programs that are on their last legs and now get spammed to attend their webinars and to buy their programs because the users on the other end could not figure out how to export.

Hey guys, the analogy to pdf is a good one. Hasn't SolidWorks a Viewer called eDrawings Viewer? Maybe this will help to get access to the file format. With Inventor Viewer you have (limited) access to those files, like view and change some internal properties and run some conversion scripts with iLogic.

@kmanstudios: i undestand your point. Getting a plugin for free with the need for a full-scale SolidWorks license adds just some comfort as one can generate the STL with SolidWorks itself...The ability to use SLDPRT-Files without a license is quite charming :)

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

Again, the brunt of my original message was that it would be nice. If you had simply stated that Solidworks will not let out their format code, then that is all that needs to be said.

Alright :)

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

"I have no idea what to do to export..." facepalm.........

Haha, but this is the target group of people I'm pointing at when working on this plugin. Just aiming to keep it as simple as possible. Even not mentioning that we are doing anything like an export in the background. Only telling the user that we are going to open his file and done.

Btw. you could tell your customers to use the plugin to create Cura project files, so you would get the converted files within the project file, which is actually a 3MF file and therefore includes the STL info. ;p

If you ask kindly I can add making a guide for this to my todo list. :)

5 minutes ago, dxp said:

Hey guys, the analogy to pdf is a good one. Hasn't SolidWorks a Viewer called eDrawings Viewer? Maybe this will help to get access to the file format. With Inventor Viewer you have (limited) access to those files, like view and change some internal properties and run some conversion scripts with iLogic.

Many thanks! I thought it is only for eDrawings files, but the website mentions also SolidWorks files. I will take a look onto it!

4 minutes ago, thopiekar said:

Btw. you could tell your customers to use the plugin to create Cura project files,,,,,,,,

Yeah....they cannot even export what is already there....LOL

10 minutes ago, dxp said:

@kmanstudios: i undestand your point. Getting a plugin for free with the need for a full-scale SolidWorks license adds just some comfort as one can generate the STL with SolidWorks itself...The ability to use SLDPRT-Files without a license is quite charming :)

I just took a look at this page and it does look promising since it does export out to .STL. That would take a huge load off of output people only and let the CAD users stay ignorant of file formats.

@dxp Again, thank you for the hint. I downloaded the eDrawings viewer and found on the internet 3DS' SDK with some examples written in VBA and C/C++. My first impression is that it seems to be doable, but I have currently still other CAD plugins, which are waiting to be distributed in Cura's plugin browser.

If @kmanstudios and you think such a solution needs to be investigated soon. Then shout it out in a separate thread and collect a list of users, who don't own a license for SolidWorks, but would like to open these files. So I can prioritize it for myself a little bit better.

And at this point, I would like to continue talking about the current approach, which is the SolidWorks plugin. But still, thanks again for the hints and thoughts so far!

@thopiekar: to be honest, I don't use SolidWorks anymore and my current company sports Inventor - so I'm looking for the Inventor-Plugin ;)

1 hour ago, dxp said:

@thopiekar: to be honest, I don't use SolidWorks anymore and my current company sports Inventor - so I'm looking for the Inventor-Plugin ;)

It is already there and also waiting for Ultimaker to get distributed:

PS: It is a very basic plugin at the moment and does not provide any UI. Just open your files, eg. via drag and drop.

Edited by thopiekar

Ok, after finding the SolidWorks-plugin installed (your link points to the SWX-Plugin) and the second try with the Inventor-Plugin the first try with an Inventor-File failed :O - most possibly thanks to our virus protection software... I'll keep trying. :sunglass:

13 minutes ago, dxp said:

(your link points to the SWX-Plugin)

Oops, copy pasted the SWX link and modified it (only the text) ':D

Ok, I will open a separate thread for it soon.

Oh, and greetings from the eDrawings side..

image.thumb.png.b33567b4023c63b39e47628c6ddd7bba.png

PS: @dxp Remove your current log file of Cura, start Cura and retry. Upload the log file here:

and let's continue talking about the Autodesk plugin there.

Edited by thopiekar

Happy I found the right thread!

I'd posted elsewhere about issues with the latest plug-in, specifically how the presets of "fine" and "course" aren't realistic, that we need better settings (typically done under custom) than are provided as default options.

I see you have "prepare for printing" - I'm assuming this is orientation? - but I don't know if it will smooth out the steps.

As posted in another thread (

)

I found the following code (C:\Users\CaptainFantastic\AppData\Roaming\cura\3.2\plugins\CuraSolidWorksPlugin\CuraSolidWorksPlugin\SolidWorksConstants.py):

class swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e:
            swExportSTLQuality = 78
            swExportStlUnits = 211

class swSTLQuality_e:
            swSTLQuality_Coarse = 1
            swSTLQuality_Fine = 2
            swSTLQuality_Custom = 3

I have a sense these would do what I want (even if I have to set settings in SW itself), but I'm not sure how?

I'll leave this as its own post.

I've since loaded the new 0.5.0 version you'd linked me to, and I haven't had luck getting it to import. After getting the macro set up, removing and reinstalling the CURA add-in, everything looks like it works (SW will load CURA if initiated from SW, CURA looks like it runs SW as needed) after some waiting I get a window saying my file is in an invalid format.

"Invalid File
    Failed to load <file-with-path>"

Running :

CURA 3.2, SW2016 SP3 WIN10

I get the same response for each of the four fine/course/print/SW choices in the dialog.

This all worked on CURA 3.0 (and 3.1 I think), and the same install of SW.

Can you point me in a good direction so I can get back to the topic of angular accuracy? :-)