SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

thopiekar

Posted (edited) · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

Just reserving this thread for questions between plugin users and sharing the latest state of work here.

Additionally, feel free to add ideas for improvements, which are important for you as issues to the project page.

Looking forward to stimulating and inspiring ideas!

Thanks!

------------------------------

Tested by community members and Ultimaker:

Edited by thopiekar

Posted · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

Hi!

Great plugin!

I use it with SW2013 (student license). One thing I noted is that SW is closed when opening a file in Cura, but I guess that's because of the old version...

Further the part is in a very dark scheme.

Again, thanks, now I have a reason looking for an update... :-)

Hi!

Great plugin!

I use it with SW2013 (student license). One thing I noted is that SW is closed when opening a file in Cura, but I guess that's because of the old version...

Nope this should no happen. Are you using the plugin since Cura 2.7?

PS: I never had the time to track the oldest version, which is able to be used, but since the first version of the plugin, which was released in the plugin browser in Cura 2.7 a lot of things have changed to increase stability. Please remove the plugin if needed from cura's config directory :)

Edited by Guest

Hi!

Great plugin!

Nope this should no happen. Are you using the plugin since Cura 2.7?

PS: I never had the time to track the oldest version, which is able to be used, but since the first version of the plugin, which was released in the plugin browser in Cura 2.7 a lot of things have changed to increase stability. Please remove the plugin if needed from cura's config directory :)

Yes, I use it since 2.7....

I made an update of your plugin and now it behaves normal. Open files without closing SW and also the rendering is ok.

Guess the file integration is ok, the SW integration itself of course not. Saw that there should be an icon in SW, but for this it seems my version is too old.

Nevertheless - THANK YOU for your efforts!

No problem. How did you update the plugin? Is an update advertised in the plugin browser? I'm not that familiar with the development of it.

Yeah, the macro needs a major update and needs to be shirked a lot. Wanted to do that, but my SolidWorks is broken at the moment. Whenever I want to edit an macro it crashes :(

Hope I can improve it for you all soon!

yes, if you look into the plugin browser, there is the note to install or even update it. went flawless...

The days I used SW in study and office we never did something with macros - most of the stuff I learned by myself.

Grüße aus Graz! :-)

Great, I'm asking for the update functionality, because I directly code out of the plugins directory in the Cura configuration directory. This I don't download any plugins from the browser, etc.

Nice to hear it works well. As far as I know there was still the version 0.2.0 on the download server at Ultimaker.

Might be that they uploaded the latest release of the plugin now.

Well, I used CATIA at my university. Planning together with Ultimaker to work on this. I could work in the lab in my university and develop this plugin, but I don't know at which conditions the licence has been sold to my university. So to not get in trouble I wait until eg. Dessault Systemes cooperates (they are still deciding) or not.

Servus aus Solingen, bergisches Land - NRW :)

Lass mich wissen, wenn es noch was gibt, dass nicht funktioniert oder verbessert werden muss!

- Thomas

Hi, using this plugin in my workflow has been great and it made it so easy to work with Solidworks.

It seems, however, that something broke in the 0.3.3 or 0.3.4 update that was made a few days ago. The ability to open SLDPRT files in Cura is gone and the macro disappeared from Solidworks. I attempted to disable and re-enable the plugin, and even tried completely uninstalling Cura, but it still does not work. It is shown in the plugin browser as installed.

Any help would be great and I look forward to using your plugin again!

Plugin instaled but sldprt not available in selection "all suported"

Cura 3.02 windows 10

Good morning guys,

please send me your logs, so I can get an better impression what is going wrong.

Thanks and hope we can fix your issues soon!

It seems like we are working on similar topics Cura <-> OpenSCAD integration.

I'm curious what your plugin is doing (and how), but as I understand it requires Windows and SolidWorks, so I can't take a look myself. Is there a description of your plugin available?

Well, it is not well documented, but you can take a look at my project page.

I also have a prove of concept of an SolidWorks plugin. Also for Blender, but this has currently some issues, but I know too less about Blender, so no idea where the issue is from. Could be either the script I wrote or the blender file I downloaded from thingiverse.

However, if you are interested to jump onto the development of the plugin I have feel free.

PS: If you have ideas just send me an mail. Let's keep the topic at the SolidWorks integration ;)

Edited by Guest

I'm having problems after Cura updated to 3.0.4...It is saying when I click "Upgrade" in the Browse Plugins dropdown that it is an invalid plugin file. Solidworks is telling me that it cannot find Cura. Thanks!

Windows 10

Nvidia Quadro K620

Cura 3.0.4

Solidworks plugin 0.3.7

Perfect.

Working, he transformed an solidworks assembly in an STL.

Edited by Guest
    details

I'm having problems after Cura updated to 3.0.4...It is saying when I click "Upgrade" in the Browse Plugins dropdown that it is an invalid plugin file.  Solidworks is telling me that it cannot find Cura.  Thanks!

Like Gigi mentioned try the 0.3.7 version (latest currently).

Ultimaker just has not published it on their plugin server so far ;)

- https://github.com/thopiekar/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/releases

Great, I'm asking for the update functionality, because I directly code out of the plugins directory in the Cura configuration directory. This I don't download any plugins from the browser, etc.

Nice to hear it works well. As far as I know there was still the version 0.2.0 on the download server at Ultimaker.

Well, I used CATIA at my university. Planning together with Ultimaker to work on this. I could work in the lab in my university and develop this plugin, but I don't know at which conditions the licence has been sold to my university. So to not get in trouble I wait until eg. Dessault Systemes cooperates (they are still deciding) or not.

Lass mich wissen, wenn es noch was gibt, dass nicht funktioniert oder verbessert werden muss!

- Thomas

Servus Thomas!

Some time passed, but now I had a moment to give the macro also a try at SW2013... works flawless there too... :-)

- Thomas

Servus Thomas!

Some time passed, but now I had a moment to give the macro also a try at SW2013... works flawless there too... :-)

Just a remark: as the cura version get new releases, it might be good to just call the button "Export to Cura" and remove the versioning.

But thats jsut my two cents

And another one.. 0.4.1!

Just forgot to check something after rewriting many lines of code.

https://github.com/thopiekar/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/releases/tag/0.4.1

Have fun!

Last update for today.

- 0.4.2 released!

Includes:

* UI fixes for display scaling

* Drawing support (only one part or assembly is allowed to be inside this drawing)

I did the update to the plug in from within Cura 3.0.4, but it installed 0.3.7 How does one obtain and install 0.4.2?

Under https://github.com/thopiekar/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/releases download the latest .curaplugin file.

In Cura go to Preferences > Configure Cura ... and in the following window under "Plugins" there is a "Install new plugin" button. With this one it shall be possible to install and update any plugin.

If it does not work, just let me know ;)

Version 0.3.7 was working perfectly. Followed your instructions and now unfortunately the plugin is completely broken:(. Prior to this update I was able to select a SolidWorks part file from the Cura File > Open. Now I get an error message stating it is an unsupported file type. SolidWorks 2017 SP4.1, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Any suggestions?

Hey @XYZDesignPro,

sorry for the late reply, but I get only daily notifications via email over new posts.

First of all, please excuse the issues you have. Before you begin, please close Cura.

1. Could you be so kind and send me your log file?

Since you are using Cura for work, you can also write me a mail with the log file attached. Just in case sensitive info is included.

2. Also go into the plugins directory (AppData/Roaming/cura/3.0/plugins) and look for the SolidWorks plugin. Make a zip of it and also try to attach it to a mail. If your upload is limited, just let me know. I can make some space free on my NAS.

It will be useful for me to understand what happened.

3. After zipping the contents, remove the plugin from this directory and start Cura again. Just repeat the instructions how to install the plugin using the .curaplugin file.

If it still does not work, please send another log file.

Regards

- Thomas

(PS: Sent you a PM with my email address.)

Hey guys,

could you please confirm that 0.4.3.1 is working?

I noticed a strange bug in this version.

- Thanks!