SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

thopiekar

Posted · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

The attached ZIP archive contains six files.  Two of each type (STL AMF 3MF) saved using the default Fine and Course settings from SWX 2018.

It's just a simple handle mounting template I needed to mount a security handle in our shower.  I chose it because of it's simplicity in order to keep the file sizes to a minimum.

563486320_HandleTemplate.thumb.JPG.51720c611aa087280d07af568915901c.JPG

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.  I use the plugin regularly, and it serves my purposes, but further refinement may help others.

STL AMF 3MF.zip

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Well, it is noticeable that there are changes between the files.

Since you are using a more recent version of SolidWorks and thus 3MF in the background of the plugin, you never noticed a difference, when choosing between the different quality profiles.

I'll change this in the coming version. Only waiting for some docs by Ultimaker how to create *.curapackage files, which are replacing the *.curaplugin files we had in the past.

Difficult to say. At least it would include all the bugfixes I had to do and it would include the workaround to not touch any export settings.

But for the "Custom" option, I will need to make additions to the user interface, which could take some time. Need to decide on a logical design for it, too.

By the way, could you give me the min and max values for both properties in the dialogue? So "Deviation" and "Angle"?

Thanks again!

I meant what the min and max values are when using the slider (right to left).

By slider I mean this widget:

image.png.39cb166e0d89151ca845bc3c4b37b772.png

Then I would know which min and max values I need to adopt for the plugin, where I would clone this slider into. ?

Sorry, I guess I mis-understood what you were asking for.  How about these?

1841725113_MinSTLSettings.JPG.d3ff1d2dbfa0a014bc009b9d8dc95159.JPG

1510259977_MaxSTLSettings.JPG.0f5300ee4f1b672a4665516a546021ff.JPG

It would appear that the Max settings are the same as the default Coarse setting.

• Thanks 1

Great, thanks! Would you mind if the value was in mm? At least of the first version, where this feature is included?

Not as far as I'm concerned.  I'm used to working with either unit.  Can't speak for AbeFM

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 6:22 PM, thopiekar said:

Found the reason for the bug (it did it for the FreeCAD plugin, but guess it will be the same for all the other ones) ?✌️

It is basically due to changes made by the Cura team, I was not informed about, and I was not able to follow with their changes recently.

So yeah, don't know when I'll be able to roll out updates, but, however, the solution is there already!

Hi!

any news on the update? As I´m in a bigger design project right now, it gets a bit annoying to have the names not propperly managed...

b.r.

chris

Posted (edited) · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

Hey Chris!

Sorry for the delay. I'm on a project in the US currently, which means working hours of 10h and max 15h per day.

Anyway, I continued preparing a tool I wrote in the past to create Cura plugin files, so I could distribute the code.

I began to implement the new format yesterday, but if you like and I think you are using Cura <= 3.4, then I can send you a .curaplugin file for testing. But this will be an unreleased version and therefore don't want to give any guarantees on that.

What do you think?

Regards

- Thomas

Edited by thopiekar

On 9/14/2018 at 3:17 PM, thopiekar said:

Hey Chris!

Sorry for the delay. I'm on a project in the US currently, which means working hours of 10h and max 15h per day.

Anyway, I continued preparing a tool I wrote in the past to create Cura plugin files, so I could distribute the code.

I began to implement the new format yesterday, but if you like and I think you are using Cura <= 3.4, then I can send you a .curaplugin file for testing. But this will be an unreleased version and therefore don't want to give any guarantees on that.

What do you think?

Regards

- Thomas

Hi Thomas,

never mind - hope it is a bit time for fun even at this long days.

if it´s ok for you, I´m happy to act as a crash test bunny ?

Just attach it to a PM, should work finde...

b.r.

chris

Edited by drayson

My god this plugin is GODLIKE!!

TOPTIP: Isolate one part in a big assembly or multi-part. Click on one surface and press CTRL+A to select all faces/surfaces, then click the macro-button. That ONE part goes to cura, niiiicely without saving a bazillion STL-files manually. 

Haha, thanks! Well, what you see is what you get right? ?

Haven't touched this in a while. Let me know if there's something to try.

I try to stick with mm (metric) since the slicers like it, but either is ok.

I  typically use
    Deviation: 0.01 (minimum 0.00592755 mm)

Angle: 1.0 (minimum 0.50000 deg)

I've noticed saving in AMF can cause weird issues - I get warnings about material type in SW 2016 sp3

-Abe.

So, together with @drayson I made bugfixes to the plugin and it should work now on 3.4 and 3.5 again.

I rolled out the new release to Ultimaker to distribute it, but it needs a review still.

If you like to test it, too, then you can download it from:

https://thopiekar.eu:46380/fsdownload/bTfeZHRr7/SolidWorks

Pick the v5 package for Cura 3.5 and v4 for any earlier versions.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Welcome back from your world travels.  Hope you at least did a little sight seeing and relaxing . . .

Thanks for the update Thomas.  Cura 3.5 is so "buggy" I have un-installed it and continue to use 3.4.1.  Your plugin V0.5.5 works just fine in Cura 3.4.1.  What is the new version number of your plugin, and what improvements were made?

Cura 3.5 was not ready for prime time IMHO.  Pretty disappointing. ☹️

• Like 1

@thopiekar, a BIG thank you for your patience and time providing this plugin! It's a pleasure to assist...

Edited by drayson
    • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, XYZDesignPro said:

Welcome back from your world travels.  Hope you at least did a little sight seeing and relaxing . . .

Thanks for the update Thomas.  Cura 3.5 is so "buggy" I have un-installed it and continue to use 3.4.1.  Your plugin V0.5.5 works just fine in Cura 3.4.1.  What is the new version number of your plugin, and what improvements were made?

Cura 3.5 was not ready for prime time IMHO.  Pretty disappointing. ☹️

Thanks. Was a great time and also a great new (and first) experience to be at a client.

Also took some time to see cities nearby. So yeah, was fun ?

There are no real improvements, but that I cared about getting it working on all Cura versions. So the plugin checks itself on which version it is running and applies then certain code depending on the Cura version.

That's why it works on 3.4 and 3.5. Since I didn't make any other major changes, it should work even downwards until 2.x, but no guarantees. So actually more changed for the OpenSource applications (FreeCAD, OpenSCAD and Blender).

Added more algorithms there to find the installation of these applications. Had to touch also some code which is used in SolidWorks and Inventor.

Therefore I asked before releasing the plugin in the Toolbox some people for testing or, as @drayson did, people asked me whether they could help out with testing ?

So, yes, sadly no new features, since I was too limited in time ? 

Guess what I'm working on:

image.thumb.png.c75290fdcb282966a4a1819a9e069039.png

Cool . . . ?  I am still using Cura 3.4.1 because 3.5 .x was / is so broken.  Will the new version be available through the Toolbox Plugin checker?

Let me know if you're looking for a tester.  I'm on Win10 Pro, SWX 2018.

Ok, done for today. This is the current UI design and I think it won't change much.

image.png.b1eaad19b16167e45e2246b15dbbc724.png

Just need to fill in the correct values for the deviation (tessellation).

@XYZDesignPro Converted your values from the past from inch into mm, but I expected a round number.

Is it a bit deal for you to twitch to mm and see what the window gives then?

Thanks!

Sorry Thomas. I don't understand the question.  As you can see, changing the units has no bearing on the deviation value.

2047683377_STLmm.JPG.b3277b50d035153d69490954e2b5ff6f.JPG

STL_inch.JPG.8c830329d43346091b1dbf467b42ce87.JPG

What am I missing?

That said, I really like the look of the UI . .  .?

Edited by XYZDesignPro

On 7/29/2018 at 8:22 PM, XYZDesignPro said:

Sorry, I guess I mis-understood what you were asking for.  How about these?

1841725113_MinSTLSettings.JPG.d3ff1d2dbfa0a014bc009b9d8dc95159.JPG

1510259977_MaxSTLSettings.JPG.0f5300ee4f1b672a4665516a546021ff.JPG

It would appear that the Max settings are the same as the default Coarse setting.

@XYZDesignPro, no, this is not what I mean. Do you remember your previous post? This is what I need, but with millimeters as the unit. See:

STLDEV.thumb.png.677bfd4c35b11b9fc0bdfa553310d2e5.png

So, to change that, I think you will need to change the unit from inches to mm in Inventor's application settings. Then I expect that the minimum and maximum values of this setting will appear in mm here, too.

Otherwise, let's wait until someone helps out with that ?

PS: Testing version: 0.6.0

https://thopiekar.eu/download/_dev/CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v5-2018-11-03T18_16_34Z.curapackage

https://thopiekar.eu/download/_dev/CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v4-2018-11-03T18_16_34Z.curapackage

Edited by thopiekar

On 11/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, thopiekar said:

@XYZDesignPro, no, this is not what I mean. Do you remember your previous post? This is what I need, but with millimeters as the unit. See:

STLDEV.thumb.png.677bfd4c35b11b9fc0bdfa553310d2e5.png

So, to change that, I think you will need to change the unit from inches to mm in Inventor's application settings. Then I expect that the minimum and maximum values of this setting will appear in mm here, too.

Otherwise, let's wait until someone helps out with that ?

PS: Testing version: 0.6.0

https://thopiekar.eu/download/_dev/CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v5-2018-11-03T18_16_34Z.curapackage

https://thopiekar.eu/download/_dev/CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v4-2018-11-03T18_16_34Z.curapackage

@thopiekar, you got PM ?

Edited by drayson