SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

thopiekar

Posted · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

Hey @drayson,

thank you for your PM!

Noticed that the values are not even in millimeters, too. That fears me a bit, because it could mean that there is another unit, where it becomes even, but I can't imagine that the function to change these settings in the SWX API expects anything else than millimeters or inches. One of these units would be typical for most of the cases and millimeters itself just scientifically (international seen) correct.

However, will apply your values to the dialog now.

I also began to make changes on the other windows as well, so less code is needed. But ended up in a strange bug I don't understand.

Did someone already try the 0.6.0 so far?

Hey @XYZDesignPro,

I posted the URL here before. But nevermind this download, because the I noticed a bug at some point that the saved values of both parameters are extracted from the cura settings in text form and not numbers. Therefore, if you don't modify the values before slicing the plugin will fail to convert your SolidWorks file.

Will sit down on this and correct that soon.

Here it is ?

CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v4-2018-11-07T20_26_08Z.curapackage

CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v5-2018-11-07T20_26_08Z.curapackage

Added some functions between Cura and the former plugin code, so the datatype gets cached and properly passed to SolidWorks' application interface.

Any feedback is as usual welcome!

When using Cura 3.4.x, then V4. V5 is for Cura 3.5 and upwards.

Got it.

Thanks for all of your work on this Thomas.  I may have an opportunity to test it out over the weekend.

• Like 1

The link takes you to the plugin for SCAD

image.thumb.png.3dfa965fc69ed7e0e68c51ac937208e1.png

Help??

Interesting.. Looks like there is a typo in the URL. It automatically redirects you then to a page, which seems to fit the best.

Strange guess from the Wordpress plugin to take you to the OpenSCAD page ?

Tested these links before posting them now:

CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v5-2018-11-07T20_26_08Z.curapackage

Sorry and enjoy! ?

Oh, I was thinking it was just because the dialog "remembers" its settings once  you export something with them. If you just make changes and don't save a file, they get lost.

No, the function was there, but practically wrong data formats have been exchanged.

How does it work for you? When using the same settings as in SolidWorks, is the quality the same?

There was no unit defined for the deviation in the documentation, that's why I'm asking.

I've not been using CURA much lately, no good Mk3 profile and limited support for the MMU (Prusa's mutli material unit).

But I'll be doing more now. ?

I have downloaded CuraSolidWorksPlugin-v4-2018-11-07T20_26_08Z.curapackage

How do I go about installing it?

Posted (edited) · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

Drag and drop the file into Cura. That should do it.

Regards from Huston, Texas 

Edited by thopiekar

Hey guys,

you tested it already? Any issues faced?

Thanks!

Hi!

I gave it a try Tuesday afternonn but as I was in a hurry I have not checked in detail what happened - just re-installed 5.6 as 6.0 crashed cura when trying to open a SLPRT file...

sorry for no more details, will try to find time this weekend and check the log file.

Ok, let's get it tested and fixed soon, so I can roll out the new release 😉 

I installed 0.5.6, on Cura 3.4.1, but I saw no difference in the interface.  I was expecting a dialog box allowing me to adjust the resolution, but it did not.  Just acted the same as 0.5.5.  The Plugin toolbox indicates the 0.5.6 is installed.

image.thumb.png.b0b25ff502b061c5da8bead8156f3fd9.png

Any suggestions?

Hey @XYZDesignPro,

This is the version which is published but posted a link here before to the plugin package.

This one is newer, then the one you can get via the Toolbox aka Marketplace..

I'm using the one you posted on 11-9 . 

Not the one from the Toolbox (Marketplace).  What package am I supposed to be using?

Hello @XYZDesignPro and others!

I took some time to upgrade my build system here. I noticed that it took a lot of time to distribute work-in-progress code. Therefore I wrote my own script[1], which creates software packages (*.curapackage), plugin files (*.umplugin or *.curaplugin) and source archives for the upload to Ultimaker's contributors portal. Before I had to clean up the source code all the time, remove all file which was needed for version control and I got annoyed from that. So whenever I'm working on a feature or fix in a specific branch I can download the results on the project's pipeline page (Blender plugin for example [2]).

On top of that, I can set for how long the files are hosted and then automatically removed.

So yes, for Blender that concept works. The generated software packages work and the source archives seem to be complete.

Guess I can spend some time on older Cura's for curaplugin/umplugin tests in the future, too.

Will continue with the Autodesk Inventor plugin now, since I received a beta license again, but SolidWorks will follow soon, too!

Cheers!

---------------------------

[1] https://thopiekar.eu:5443/cura-plugins/CuraPluginOven

[2] https://thopiekar.eu:5443/cura-cad-integration/CuraBlenderPlugin/pipelines

• Like 1

Hi, I have installed Ultimaker Cura 3.6 (Windows 10 64x) and through Cura MarketPlace I installed the 3ds Solidworks Plugin (0.5.6 version). We have a server license for Solidworks and no problem with it.

When Cura is launched an error message about the plugin is shown (image at the end). I also added an extract of the cura.log file.

1196221462_3dsSWpluginCuraerror.png.e10923099b22c061e3456ffa9c5aede0.png

extract cura log.zip

11 hours ago, Noemi said:

Hi, I have installed Ultimaker Cura 3.6 (Windows 10 64x) and through Cura MarketPlace I installed the 3ds Solidworks Plugin (0.5.6 version). We have a server license for Solidworks and no problem with it.

When Cura is launched an error message about the plugin is shown (image at the end). I also added an extract of the cura.log file.

1196221462_3dsSWpluginCuraerror.png.e10923099b22c061e3456ffa9c5aede0.png

extract cura log.zip

Thank you for reporting this. From your logs, I only see that the VersionUpgradeManager is going through my files.

(Which I already find strange, since why should it know about upgradable files in my plugin(s).)

Anyway, can you send me more lines? Maybe if you care about privacy, then you can send it via private message and then I can share my email address if even needed.

Would really like to understand how it comes.

Might be that the error code we get on your computer doesn't only happen with invalid licenses, but also something else. Therefore a wrong error message could be the case.

I only remember that I went into this situation when I disconnected from the network and the server couldn't get contacted. But that doesn't seem to be your case 😕 

17 hours ago, thopiekar said:

I only see that the VersionUpgradeManager is going through my files.

That's a bug that has been fixed for Cura 4.0 (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/commit/b58ce0caa494fc8c798d869a612f12e259b91eb7#diff-e85a1a432b40396c54ca875559096df3)

• Like 1

Ok, thanks! Never noticed the issue before or I was simply good in overlooking (or just forgetting) it. 😀