SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

thopiekar

Posted · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

Noticed that some fixes, I worked on in the past, were not finished and/or not deployed in the releases.

Would be great if you could take some time and try this out:

https://thopiekar.eu:5443/cura-cad-integration/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/-/jobs/455/artifacts/browse

It is regarding the storage of preferences. I added functions between Cura and the plugin, which ensure that the preferences are stored as expected and recovered on restart correctly.

Thanks!

Hello Thomas,

I'm still using Cura 3.4.1.  I cannot get the plugin to install.  When I click on the Robot Icon in the tool box to install the 3DS SolidWorks Integration plugin the little wheel spins around for about 5 seconds and nothing happens.

The Plugins Folder in the Cura Configuration Folder is empty.  Tried uninstalling and re-installing Cura 3.4.1, but no change.  What am I missing?  Will this new package above work with 3.4.1?

Windows 10 Pro SolidWorks 2018 SP4.0

Thanks for your assistance.

Posted (edited) · SolidWorks plugin (official thread)

No problem. I'm glad to help! 🙂 

Whenever you are using the Toolbox aka Marketplace, you are using software distributed by Ultimaker.

Therefore I won't be able to test my latest work I share over here.

Visit the website I shared above. You will find different files.

* CuraSolidWorksPlugin-*.zip - for me to send the plugin for a review to Ultimaker

* CuraSolidWorksPlugin-*.api-5.umplugin - for Cura >= 3.5

CuraSolidWorksPlugin-*.sdk-600.curapackage for Cura >= 4.0

So yes, there is no file for you, but give me some minutes. My packaging script is able to create also files for Cura >= 2.7, but never tested it.

Edited by thopiekar

Ok, noticed some non-sense in my packaging script.

But first of all an overview:

* Cura 3.2 won't work, because of version checks I do inside the plugin and a comparision is only supported since 3.3.

* My build system provides umplugin/curaplugin package for >= 3.5, but this format is not supported since 3.2 anymore.

Will take some time until I fix it.

Done.

Same code like before but available for Cura >= 3.3 now.

https://thopiekar.eu:5443/cura-cad-integration/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/-/jobs/652/artifacts/browse

@XYZDesignPro: Make sure that the SolidWorks plugin is not inside the plugin directory of Cura's configuration directory.

I don't trust that much the old uninstall method. Remember that there were issues in the past.

Visit the link, download CuraSolidWorksPlugin-0.5.7.sdk-4.curapackage and drag-and-drop it into Cura.

It should mention that it is going to be installed on the next start.

I tested the package file on 3.4.1, but don't know whether it works, since I have no SWX installed.

Believe there were no errors. I'm going to roll out the latest changes as 0.5.8.

https://thopiekar.eu:5443/cura-cad-integration/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/-/jobs/710/artifacts/browse

Hello Thomas hope all is well.  Just thought I'd drop you a line to let you know that your plugin is working very well in Cura 4.0.0 and SolidWorks 2019 SP2.  I really appreciate that now it has the ability to use the user defined settings from SolidWorks itself.  A valuable add in for SWX users.  Good job.  Thanks for your efforts. 😎

• Like 2

Made many cleanups, fixed minor issues, make some sections of the code stronger against bugs and redesigned the UI a bit.

The Autodesk Inventor plugin and this one will share the same functionality of the service checker (previously called Troubleshooter in the configuration window). By sharing the same code across both plugins, I want to minimize the needed time on fixing bugs and make all similar plugins benefit from the same features.

Additionally, note the package for Cura 4.1.0 (SDK 6.1.0). Haven't tested the plugin so far with that version since it is beta still.

Any testing is highly appreciated!

https://thopiekar.eu:5443/cura-cad-integration/CuraSolidWorksPlugin/-/jobs/1258/artifacts/browse

Thanks!

- Thomas

Thomas,

How do we go about installing this update.  It's currently working so well I don't want to screw it up!!

• Like 1

It is a testing version. So eventually something might not work.

As far as I could test it works good enough that I believe it can be tested by the community. 😊

The needed steps are basically described here:

https://thopiekar.eu/cura/plugins/installation/#ManualInstall

(This section of the instruction is not well formatted I have to admit.)

If you face issues and you have too much trouble, simply uninstall the plugin via the marketplace and reinstall it via marketplace again, too. If Cura fails to uninstall the plugin (for whatever reason I don't know) you can find a guide about the manual uninstallation here:

https://thopiekar.eu/cura/plugins/uninstallation/

Finally, the plugin I'm offering for testing will use default settings. Because I use a new "namespace" in the preference storage in Cura.

So if you like to do a migration you need to rename "cura_solidworks" into "CuraSolidWorksPlugin" in the cura.cfg.

But I would only recommend advanced users to touch that file.

If you have any other questions or feedback, like missing steps or confusing explanations in the guides, please let me know!

Thank you for your early interest, @XYZDesignPro!

Thomas,

Finally got around to installing the plugin, but when I checked the version it still says 0.5.9:

image.thumb.png.6e682dec43aae0b422a92b2fbccd0cdb.png

So I'm not sure it is properly installed.  I don't see any changes in the functionality.

Any suggestions?

One difference should be quickly visible.

The SolidWorks plugin was benefiting for a long time of a self-test, which ensured that SolidWorks is correctly installed. This one I extracted, cleaned up and moved into a common application library, called "CadIntegrationUtils" (short: CIU). That one consisted of no user-interface for a very long time. Since the library seemed to work fine for a long time, I decided to give it and all the other plugins a face.

Long story short: The self-test was one of two tabs in the preferences dialog. Now you can find the self-test at:

image.thumb.png.976838511273ccd40fc9372b1b8f2a26.png

All you can find exactly the same menu entry at all the other Windows automation based plugins, too. These include the SolidWorks plugin, Autodesk Inventor and shortly the CATIA plugin. That's why the checks based on this technology are often just the same and therefore all the plugins can benefit from that.

So if you can find this entry in the plugins menu, then you managed to install the plugin successfully. If you are noticing any issues as before, - well - then even better! 😃

Thank you for taking the time!

PS: As soon as I get the CATIA plugin reviewed, I'll roll out updates for all the other plugins, too. Don't want to postpone it for much longer. Want to keep it in the release face of Cura. (As long as there are no issues of course.)

OK, I see the CUI Service Checker in the Extensions Menu.  So I guess it is properly installed.  In the installation Macro the instructions for the path to the macro show a path that does not exist.  Something about Workspace and Bootcamp??  Are you working on a Mac using a windows simulation?

On my windows 10 Pro machine it is located at:

C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.0\plugins\CuraSolidWorksPlugin\CuraSolidWorksPlugin\macro

That is correct. During the creation of the guide there could have been a better way of showing where the macro is placed.

I guess there are basically to ways of preventing this confusion:

* Correcting the guidelines or adding a note there.

* Replacing this guideline with one on my website. The benefit would be, that I can easily correct or add instructions, even if the plugin has already been released and installed.

Thank you for mentioning that, I somehow lost this one from my scope.

You are welcome.  I've been meaning to mention that for a long time, but keep forgetting.  Can't believe others have not struggled as I did to find the location of the macro and mention it.

Thanks again for all of your hard work for the benefit of those of us less capable. 👍

• Like 1

No problem! Always a pleasure to be there for you! 🙂

Hello Thomas.  Just installed Version 0.6.0 upgrade.  Works just fine with Cura 4.1.0 and SolidWorks 2019 SP3.0.  Anything important in this upgrade we should be aware of?

There are no changes actually. You already tested the same code before, when you downloaded the plugin package from my build system. The release of the plugin was just postponed for some time 😉

I've only recently begun to use Cura but have been using solidworks for a while now between school and my current job. So seething that there was an integration tool for the two was immediately interesting to me. However I have been unable to find the plugin in the marketplace to actually install it. The attached images show all the plugins that I see for cura. Not sure why it seems like I am missing some of the options.

cura no solidworks.PNG

cura no solidworks2.PNG

It is probably already installed.  Did you click on the "Installed" link in the upper right corner?

3 hours ago, XYZDesignPro said:

It is probably already installed.  Did you click on the "Installed" link in the upper right corner?

Checked there, it is not installed, plus I have the settings guide and auto orientation installed and those still show up in the market screen.

I too don't see it in the marketplace anymore. When I check installed it is listed there because I had it in previous versions, but it is deactivated. It can't be activated, so I guess it just isn't compatible anymore? I really hope it will be fixed soon, it was so useful.

Have you reached out to the author? https://community.ultimaker.com/profile/345640-thopiekar/

Apparently it is broken in 4.4.

I am using 4.2.1 and it works fine with SWX 2019 SP5.0.  Have you tried that version of Cura?

Thanks for responding! I’m on 4.4 indeed. Haven’t tried the older version, but I guess that’s the best solution for now. 

I just installed Cura 4.2.1 on a machine that has never had any version of Cura or SolidWorks, and the plugin is there.

Did not try 4.3

• Like 1