Nozzle Rubbing on UM2+ PLA

michaelb123

Posted · Nozzle Rubbing on UM2+ PLA

Hello,

I have a ultimaker 2+ and I've tried extensively to get the bed perfectly level. I ended up buying a feeler gauge. The calibration card sent with the Ultimaker 2+ upgrade kit appears to be about .15mm thick. So, I tried leveling the bed to .15 mm distance from the nozzle (nozzle size is .4 mm). We'll the nozzle would eventually jam using the default settings for a "fine" print quality inside cura.

I decided to try and give the nozzle a bit more room and leveled the bed to .2 mm distance. This was better, I no longer heard as much of the nozzle rubbing against the 3d print object. The print, however, still managed to jam the nozzle.

So, I changed some settings inside CURA after asking a raprep irc chat. They suggested that I increase the layer height to 0.25 mm and the line width to .5 mm (nozzle size is .4 mm). I did as they suggested and I also change my print profile to "normal" and now the prints have stopped jamming and I'm getting decent quality prints. I eventually fine-tuned the nozzle width to 0.48mm and I'm happy that it is now at least printing my designs.

My issue is this, in CURA it suggests a smaller line width will result in better quality. Why does my printer have issues when the line width is less than the nozzle width? My theory was the matter wasn't being smashed down enough and therefore would eventually start to rub against the nozzle on longer travels. But, I'm not certain that is the answer and if I should always have to set these settings to get good quality prints.

They also suggested that I need to measure 100mm of filament feed through the printer to ensure good quality but, I have no idea how to do that with the ultimaker 2+.

Posted (edited) · Nozzle Rubbing on UM2+ PLA

I believe this issue is known as pillowing?

As described here:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#pillowing

I've tried to adjust the layer height higher and increase the infill to 25%. I'm still facing nozzle rubbing from what I believe is called pillowing.  Can anyone offer some additional advice?

Edited by Guest

Here is an updated video of the nozzle rubbing against the object.

UM2+

.3 mm layer height initial layer height .27mm line width .48mm

Infill Density 25%

Generating Support

Nozzle rubbing due to pillowing? How to fix?

Nozzle rubbing due to pillowing?  How to fix?

IMHO "pillowing" is a different topic. In your case it's just that the nozzles scratches above the infill on long travel moves. I think, a fancy name for it does not exist (yet :)).

You don't mention the material and the Cura version... I've seen this too with PETG-like materials (like Colorfabb XT), but never with PLA. Helpful in general is printing the infill slower (and/or hotter) and reduce the travel speed a bit. Other possibilities depend on the Cura version you use. In case of a more recent version: experiment with "Combing mode" and "Z Hop When Retracted". Basically: switch combing mode off and z-hop on. This leads probably to a huge amount of retractions, in this case you can try another infill pattern. The experimental "Optimize Wall Printing Order" may also help.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Nozzle Rubbing on UM2+ PLA

Thank you sooo much for some feedback on this matter!  I am indeed on the latest version of cura version 3.0.3.

Basically: switch combing mode off and z-hop on

A few questions:

1. I don't see the setting to make cura print the infill hotter.
    2. I'm seeing a longer print time with all the retractions for "Z Hop When Retracted."
       Would it perhaps be better to try turning on combing mode and putting a higher travel avoid distance?
    3. What infill pattern would you use with Z Hop When Retracted?

Edited by Guest