Recovering a Bricked UM3/S3/S5

gr5

Posted · Recovering a Bricked UM3/S3/S5

Copied from someone else - I didn't write 99% of what is below but I think it's very useful - especially if you are messing with json files on your UM3/S3/S5/UM2+C and it stops booting.

If the below procedure doesn't work I have MUCH more detailed debugging information here: gr5.org/unbricking/

Ask your reseller for the latest recovery image for your particular printer version.

here is a nice guide on putting a disk image on a sd card:

https://www.hifiberry.com/build/documentation/create-sd-card-from-img-file/

If you are working with MacOS, you can better use ApplePie baker:

https://www.tweaking4all.com/software/macosx-software/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

applepie.thumb.jpg.084102e774fabdfd82d3e95c2dd2b168.jpg

• Insert the Micro SD card in your computer.

• Use the IMG recipe section and search for the file.

• Click on the Restore Backup button.

• Once that is done you can put the SD card back in the printer and check if it boots correctly.

Then, removing the plastic cap in front of the olimex board (it is located on the bottom of your printer), find the SD card slot and insert the SD card:

The SD card slot is located on the smaller board in the back. (Where the network cable connects into)

sd.thumb.jpeg.4e1e45f11503c76a9ca93fe13a672e15.jpeg

In order to reach it you will need to remove the micro USB cable in front of it

5a334060e43dc_sdslot.thumb.jpeg.44b7577fc11788490277f78b4c73407f.jpeg

Now, booting up (only once) with the sd card inserted, wait until a green light goes on on the led ring around the control knob.

The display will also tell you to remove the sd card and reboot.

After all this you probably want to update to the latest firmware as I'm not sure that the link above will always be the latest but the printer will know if it is the latest or not.

Please message me with more details that you learn as I have never tried this with an Olimex board (I've done the same basic procedure on a Beagle Bone Black).

• Like 4

A few notes

- You don’t leave this clear. But um3 doesn’t have a microsdcard on the slot, so is important to buy one if you don’t have one.

- ESD is, according to UM, important.

- Connecting a HDMI monitor/tv to the hdmi port allows to see the bootup sequence, this is useful to see what fails (if someone doesn’t want to reflash all)

- This method removes all data from cores calibration, etc. So one will need to recalibrate everything, core 2 lift mechanism included.

-Olimex sells a usb to serial cable that allows the user to access the linux directly, this is useful if the error doesn’t start the basic ssh services or the user didn’t activated the dev mode. The cable cost very little.

• Like 2

-Olimex sells a usb to serial cable that allows the user to access the linux directly, this is useful if the error doesn’t start the basic ssh services or the user didn’t activated the dev mode. The cable cost very little.

Oh! I forgot about that! So if I'm going to mess with the json files on my UM3, I think I'd rather buy this cable and connect it to my laptop and just login through that and undo whatever I did to break it.

Oh! I forgot about that! So if I'm going to mess with the json files on my UM3, I think I'd rather buy this cable and connect it to my laptop and just login through that and undo whatever I did to break it.

Yea that’s what I did when I tried to disable the security of the printer and it became a brick

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Components/Cables/USB-Serial-Cable/USB-Serial-Cable-F/

The instructions are on their website and is just 5€

• 4 months later...

My Ultimaker 3 has also become a brick.  Prior to these instructions I tried just plugging in the HDMI to read the errors.  Bootup seems normal until this message "Article number: 236a-ffffffff".

Then errors appear.

" ** ext4fs_devread read error - block 

** Can't read partition table on 0:0 **"

Any advice on this?  Just use the recovery.img as listed?

2 hours ago, BrianVetere said:

** Can't read partition table on 0:0 **"

That sounds very serious.  It sounds like it can't read the boot partition at all.  I'd try the recovery micro sd card but if that doesn't work you'll need a new linux board (the smaller red board).

The other thing to check might be to try pressing the 2 pieces of the Olimex board together; it's rare, but possible the two pieces could have separated a little.

I tried the recover.img and it failed. The code is "Card status 0x90".  I am not sure what this code means.  Just to check, I grabbed an image of linux that olimex recommends and that will boot up successfully from the SD card. 

Is there a way to run Ultimaker from the SD card while I order a new board?  (Guessing that somehow the on-board memory is fried)

Yeah the on board "disk" is bad.  I don't think there exists a bootable SD version of the UM firmware but someone from UM might answer.  @ghostkeeper?

Not as far as I know. You can install an image from an SD card as per gr5's initial post, but it won't automatically run from the SD card itself by default. The printer is in many ways a full-fledged computer though so if you can still run the printer and get it into development mode you can access it via SSH (username and password: ultimaker) and then you may be able configure it differently by installing Grub or something.

The printer normally accepts a Screen connection via USB with the two pins on the board next to the power input. You could also try that if it's not in development mode.

I'm not very experienced on the firmware side of things though (or the internals of Linux for that matter) so maybe someone like @Daid can give you a better answer.

Thanks for all the answers. Can I purchase the new board through my reseller? I’ve reached out and haven’t heard back yet. It is not listed on the website. 

I ordered the mini usb connector so I can get in that way.

Where are you located? Is your printer outside it's 1 year warranty?

I am in Arizona.  The printer is 15 months old (outside the warranty).

sweet, big thank you for sharing. 

I bricked my machine whilst adjusting the files for the Bondtech set up.  

used the win32diskimager and followed your directions and boom back in business. 

image file seems to have today's firmware release on it as it says it's up to date on the firmware.  fair one.

muchosgrassyarse dude.

Bex

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Recovering a Bricked UM3/S3/S5

@BrianVetere: Bootable SD-card images exist but are normally not released since SD cards are no good medium for continued usage, the SD cards are slower and will break down after some time because they were not designed for a lot of write actions. For testing purposes I will try to send you a download link by direct message on this forum. Installation of the image file is the same as for the discovery procedure described in this thread.

Edited by Indy31

hey! i found this post today, i followed the steps, and now the printer is working like a charm!

Thanks !

• Like 1

I’m stuck with the logo frozen and my machine is bricked too. Contacted reseller and got instructions to download recovery.img. But...When click the link to dl the file, all I get is a massive page of code. I can “select all” and save as a html file but I need a .img file to plug into winzip. So I’m stuck on step 1 if the instructions provided to solve this issue. 

Posted (edited) · Recovering a Bricked UM3/S3/S5

hey jimdeasy, did you tried to right click on the link and click on "Save As"?. Before saving just Change the file extension from .html to .Img

maybe in this manner it will work.

cheers

Edited by esteban-pacheco

Had to use google chrome to get the file. Microsoft edge, IE didn’t work. 

I used safari ?

I used the method mentioned in this thread. How much time should it actually take to install the recovery image? I started installation one and half hour ago and it still hasn't shown any green light around the control knob and no notification on the screen to reboot. 

Should be around 10min.

I would start again, possibly use a different file.

7 hours ago, rebekah_harper said:

Should be around 10min.

I would start again, possibly use a different file.

Thank you for replying.

I couldn't find another recovery image file anywhere. Can you or anyone re-direct me to some useful link where I can download the recovery image?

I have already tried twice with recovery image provided in this thread.

It should work if you follow GR5’s guide. 

I’d format the SD card and give it one more try. 

The file is a .img file that your uploading and not being changed in anyway?

might be worth plugging in the HDMI cable so you can see what’s going on. Will 

give us a better idea how to help 🙂