Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Recovering a Bricked UM3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Copied from someone else - I didn't write 99% of what is below but I think it's very useful - especially if you are messing with json files on your UM3 and it stops booting. you'll find a recovery im

sweet, big thank you for sharing.    I bricked my machine whilst adjusting the files for the Bondtech set up.     used the win32diskimager and followed your directions and boom bac

You missed the first post in this thread. It has a link to a recovery image which I believe is still the 4.3.3 version.   Here is the UM3 v4.3.3 recovery direct link: https://software.ultima

Posted Images

Posted · Recovering a Bricked UM3

Hello, I have removed the file from your comment because first of all it seemed to be broken, and secondly; we rather not have these documents camping around here on the forums. They can become outdated and people could try to fix their firmware with old instructions, making their situation perhaps even worse. Updated instructions are never hard to come by if you ask the official source, and would eliminate the risk of outdated information quite significantly if not entirely. 

You are my heros gr5 and CarloK!

Bricked my UM3 caused by an faulty patch by Bondtech for Bondtech QR feeder.

Um3 looped at startup and never finished booting.

File recovery-5.2.1120190503.img provided by CarloK brougt my UM3 back to life.

After Wifi-Setup another update was done by Air.

Everything fine now, also afterwards putty patch for Bondtech QR extruder Steps and speed.

Great to hear the link to the recovery image helped you out. I updated the post to link to the latest 5.2.16 image.

• Like 2

Sometimes the unbricking procedure goes wrong - I've run into a few people who had some damage to the flash memory on their S5 (and this should work for S3/S5/UM3).  It was serious enough that they were told to buy a new processor board and for the S5 that's quite expensive.  So instead we were able to repair the flash memory (diagnose issue, repartition, reformat internal flash memory) such that then we could do the recovery image from Ultimaker.

The procedure is complicated and was a lot of work to write it up.  The first time it took me maybe 40 hours!  Now that I understand everything most people can do it in an hour or three.  Here is my lengthy writeup:

http://gr5.org/unbricking/

• Like 1

Hi @gr5!

I have a bricked UM3 and I tried these steps with no luck. 

I formatted the micro SD as FAT32 (probably unnecessary), plugged it into my laptop, and used ApplePiBaker to "Restore" the SD card with the recovery.img file. No response from the UM3. Any suggestions on next steps?

The red light on the Olimax and the green light on the white board are both on. Fan runs for about three seconds when you turn the printer on then stops. 

Formatting to FAT32 does nothing as applePiBaker will remove all that and format it some linux format - I think maybe F2FS format (flash to file system).  Or maybe ext4.  I'm really not sure but that FAT32 gets erased right away.  The uSD gets partitioned into two partitions - a boot partition and then everything else on the second partition including a copy of debian jessie and all the files to copy onto the olimex internal drive.

What was the size of the uSD?  I believe it must be 4GB to 32GB.  < around 3GB and it might not store everything.  > 32GB and I think the olimex can't read it.

I have unbricked several especially troublesome S5 printers that had damage to the flash.  We were able to skip over the damaged area on the flash (the internal "hard drive" of the olimex).  I have tons of information on this web page and I keep adding to it.  By the way - where did you get the image for the UM3?

I strongly advise you get the olimex serial cable F.  You can get them on Amazon in USA (or digikey) and you can get them directly from olimex.com if you are in Europe.  More info on all this here:

http://gr5.org/unbricking/

I keep updating information on the above page as I learn more.

@acp - I have learned important information from Ultimaker employees and will be updating my notes on my unbricking page soon!