Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
urban

axis offset

Hi there

I assembled my ultimaker but my prints are leaning to the front of the machine

(y- axis).

but I tried almost everything I could think off and I'm not sure if it's maybe a software/firmware problem, a motor problem or really a belt issue.

as it should look like:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37327

as it is:

jujtxz.jpg

any help would be much appreciated! thanks

Almost certainly one or other pulleys for the y-axis is slipping. Check that they are all tight, includin the one on the motor itself. You might want to use a sharpie marker to put a mark on the pulley and shaft, and make sure that the marks don't move as you print.

It's definitely hardware and not software. Either a pulley is slipping or you are losing steps. You can lose steps if the voltage is too low (very unlikely so look into this last). Most likely is what illuminarti said. Tighten all 6 (yes six!) set screws in all 6 pulleys for the Y axis. Tighten the hell out of those set screws. Most likely it's one of the 2 pulleys on the short axis.

Also look at the short belt. If the belt twists differently everytime it changes direction, then it is probably rubbing against the wood frame. Move the pulleys a mm more away from the frame by using washers under the spacer and make sure the motor gear is as close as possible to the motor without touching.

Thanks for your replays!

I solved it by changing the black hex nut screws to the silver ones, provided by Ultimaker.

The black ones where tight, but my guess is that they are too "weak" to grip firmly to the axis.

I also moved the pully of the y-axis motor tight to the pully of the axis.

I now have really good resolutions....

The extras from ultimaker are spares because sometimes the ones in the pulleys aren't machined properly to a point.

All,

Thanks for the great advice. My prints were "jagged" in the Y-dimension. I lossened the caps on the rod ends, tightened the hex nuts on the Y-motor and pulleys, and re-levelled the table and the print (tested the Ultimaker robot) came out perfectly.

Cheers,

Greg

Yeah--according to the menu design, you have to be an "Expert" to make a vase using Cura! ;)

Also, don't forget to deselect 'Solid infill top' in the expert options :wink: