Multiple Support Structure Types in 1 Print

Polonenko

Posted · Multiple Support Structure Types in 1 Print

Is it possible to do multiple support structures in one print?

I.E. I have a part with large cored out areas with ribs which I would like to use a concentric rib structure so they are easy to remove, and I want to use a grid or triangle support structure around the outside edge to prevent the support from bowing out.)

Maybe. I haven't tried it but you can open a cube or cylinder with cura and scale it to any shape/dimensions then use that to alter slicer settings for your actual part. I'm not certain you can vary support settings using this technique but you probably can.

Okay I don't think this is possible.  That only work on infill.  Not support.  This is what I was thinking of:

Also I thought you could break your model into two parts and have per-model settings set the support pattern but no.  That's not an option either.  You can certainly have more or less dense support on different parts of your model but not different support patterns.

Unfortunately I am looking more to do different areas of the part on the same layer to use various support structures. Currently I am stacking multiple parts and I am having the outer most support structure bowing out if I use linear, concentric or zig-zag supports. At the same time I have some deep and skinny cored out areas that is very hard to remove triangle or grid support. I could model in the support but at that point it feels like using the slicer is almost useless, as I would just use the 3d print code writer from my CAD package.