Introducing Cura Connect

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Cura Connect

Even if you would make it connected to the internet, it runs on the Ultimaker 3 firmware. I think it would be a nice upgrade if it would be available, but it is not yet as of this date.

Posted (edited) · Introducing Cura Connect

It's not possible to connect UM 2/2+ with connect. Theoretically it should be possible, but it's not an easy feat.

@daid has managed it as a one off test, but we'd need to put in quite a bit of work, it would require some serious messing with the electronics (so definitely have a high DIY level) and it would not be that cheap either.

It would also break the SD card reader, would probably have either Ethernet or WIFI, not likely to have both, have the Ethernet cable plug in via the bottom, not on the back and maybe some more caveats.

And then we'd still need to add the UM2(+) as separate machines in Cura connect, though that is the easier bit.

I'd want it on my UMO (an ancient one, definitely not +) and that would be even worse and require all new electronics, replacing temperature sensors, the printhead, etc.

Edited by Guest

I'd want it on my UMO (an ancient one, definitely not +) and that would be even worse and require all new electronics, replacing temperature sensors, the printhead, etc.

It would? Doesn't the Olimex board communicate with the UM3 "motion controller" through gcode? If it does, I don't see what's the fundamental difference between talking with an UM2 or UMO. Note: I have no UM3, so I can't have a look in the firmware, nor have I seen Cura Connect at work :-/

It would? Doesn't the Olimex board communicate with the UM3 "motion controller" through gcode? If it does, I don't see what's the fundamental difference between talking with an UM2 or UMO. Note: I have no UM3, so I can't have a look in the firmware, nor have I seen Cura Connect at work :-/

I think there were a few pins missing on the original board, It was a while back that we looked at that option so I'm not sure, but if there is no way to get the uart set to a different pin that is exposed, that would be a huge blocker for instance.

Also my fan takes 30 mins to stop making a racket by now :p so maybe this is just a good excuse :D

Also my fan takes 30 mins to stop making a racket by now :Pso maybe this is just a good excuse :D

88a5a57f435989f06859a996ce7dbd44.jpg
    • Like 1