TOPIC FOR PRINTING HT FILAMENTS ( PEEK/ULTEM 1010/ULTEM 9085/PPSU/PSU) ON UM2+

Posted · TOPIC FOR PRINTING HT FILAMENTS ( PEEK/ULTEM 1010/ULTEM 9085/PPSU/PSU) ON UM2+

All the hardcores are "pro".  No they only reach 350C, sorry.  Carl at 3dsolex is working on one that goes hotter.  

You could email him about it if you are really serious about this - purchase a heated bed first though.  he might send you a free one to test or a reduced price one if you promise to do testing and let him know if it melts your UM3 print head, lol.  Even better, keep going hotter until you break something in the UM3 print head - *that* would be valuable for 3dsolex to know and definitely worth a free hardcore to you.  but maybe not something you want to do.

Just to clarify - he can easily build one that goes above 350C and he has a printcore that can easily go to much higher temps - probably 450C.  But it would be a one off experimental version and a bit of a hack at this point.

Posted · TOPIC FOR PRINTING HT FILAMENTS ( PEEK/ULTEM 1010/ULTEM 9085/PPSU/PSU) ON UM2+
    1 hour ago, gr5 said:

All the hardcores are "pro".  No they only reach 350C, sorry.  Carl at 3dsolex is working on one that goes hotter.  

You could email him about it if you are really serious about this - purchase a heated bed first though.  he might send you a free one to test or a reduced price one if you promise to do testing and let him know if it melts your UM3 print head, lol.  Even better, keep going hotter until you break something in the UM3 print head - *that* would be valuable for 3dsolex to know and definitely worth a free hardcore to you.  but maybe not something you want to do.

Just to clarify - he can easily build one that goes above 350C and he has a printcore that can easily go to much higher temps - probably 450C.  But it would be a one off experimental version and a bit of a hack at this point.

@gr5 i just saw the prices of the cores, i am just guessing its better to just buy the UMO, its cheap in seconds and technically safer for gianni, however its upto him to do as he wishes, but i wouldnt risk a um3 as that is more expensive to spoil :)

5 minutes ago, rajilpahuja said:

@gr5 i just saw the prices of the cores, i am just guessing its better to just buy the UMO, its cheap in seconds and technically safer for gianni, however its upto him to do as he wishes, but i wouldnt risk a um3 as that is more expensive to spoil :)

I am with you there as I am not sure the components in a UM3 are capable of such temps. Until UM says so, I am agreeing that this would be the way to go.

hello! I have bought all the hardware upgrade to make the change needed for 400°C printing. but I can´t make sure I´ll change the software properly. where can I find the correct way to change software configuration so that cura does all the rest smoothly.

tks again.

tiago

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

UM2?  If so then you can build your own firmware or ask @tinkergnome if he might help you.  There might be a version already but I don't think so: https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin

Hope its a UM2 or UMO i really dunno if UM3 will survive this cause air temps will go up for sure in this and the bed temps plus the hotend at 400C i cant imagine the electronics in the head surviving that, i do wish him best of luck to print HT on UMO or UM2 but if its on a UM3 then to keep a fire extinguisher ready would be a good idea.

Its finally here guys, 2.85mm Ultem9085 from 3dxtech, for anyone who wanted this, because he didnt want to change the feeder etc, its launched now and soon other HT(high temperature) materials will be launched in 2.85mm

IMG_4776.PNG

• Like 2

Cool! Thanks! :)

On 27/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, gr5 said:

UM2?  If so then you can build your own firmware or ask @tinkergnome if he might help you.  There might be a version already but I don't think so: https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin

Yes! UM2

Please describe what you bought.  How many watts is the heated bed.  How will you power it?  Did you buy a separate controller for the heated bed?

What hot end are you using and more importantly does it use a PT100 for the temp sensor and if not a PT100 then what does it use.  These are things that might require changes to the firmware.

Instructions for building the firmware are here:

57 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Please describe what you bought.  How many watts is the heated bed.  How will you power it?  Did you buy a separate controller for the heated bed?

What hot end are you using and more importantly does it use a PT100 for the temp sensor and if not a PT100 then what does it use.  These are things that might require changes to the firmware.

Instructions for building the firmware are here:

I have followed word by word of this document. The only difference is that I have used two printerheads. 

I am having trouble now with reading the wright temperature on first nozzle where I installed the AD547 thermoregulator.

I already changed pin address from 8 to 1 for heater_0, max temp to 600, heater type reader from 20 to -1, and all the new XYZ head positioning...

I am having trouble now with reading the wright temperature on first nozzle where I installed the AD547 thermoregulator.

I already changed pin address from 8 to 1 for heater_0, max temp to 600, heater type reader from 20 to -1, and all the new XYZ head positioning...

Sounds like you are doing great then.  You lost me a bit - is the AD547 used on the UM2 with the PT100?  I guess if so you should hook up the pt100 and look at the output of the AD547 circuit with a volt meter and see if it's the right voltage.  Send me a circuit diagram of what you did and I can tell you what voltage it should be putting out at room temperature.

Even better, send me a circuit diagram and include what voltages you measure on all the pins of the AD547 and the output of the circuit.  I'm pretty good with op amps and circuits.

35 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Sounds like you are doing great then.  You lost me a bit - is the AD547 used on the UM2 with the PT100?  I guess if so you should hook up the pt100 and look at the output of the AD547 circuit with a volt meter and see if it's the right voltage.  Send me a circuit diagram of what you did and I can tell you what voltage it should be putting out at room temperature.

Even better, send me a circuit diagram and include what voltages you measure on all the pins of the AD547 and the output of the circuit.  I'm pretty good with op amps and circuits.

Right! I will do that as soon as I get a Voltometer... for now this is what I’ve done...image.thumb.jpg.248d477313b13e4a173ba99f134233d9.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.248d477313b13e4a173ba99f134233d9.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you very much in advance!

@tiaguera79 Oh wow a thermocouple, that would be great, however to spare everyone this wiring stuff i will soon be coming out with a PT100 for upto 500C straight to the board, no changing pins and more accurate, its on my desk actually i just need to test it, then you can order from me as many as you want :)

12 hours ago, gr5 said:

As on as you have them made I will want a pair. 

Thank you and soon I’ll send the diagram...

tks again.

@tiaguera79 - I have to say it's frustrating getting information from you.  I still don't know what kind of temperature sensor you have.

When you mentioned the AD547 - I thought you meant you wired up the chip yourself - having these photos is VERY HELPFUL.  Please - for the 3rd time I ask: what kind of temperature sensor are you using?

I am going to COMPLETELY CHANGE my assumptions - and assume you do not have PT100 sensor but a thermocouple.  These are an older technology but it's possible to get it working.

Once you get this working, the first thing you should do (again - assuming this is a thermocouple) is twist those two thin red wires so they are twisted all the way from the thermocouple to the AD547.  Also keep the length of wires as short as possible - in other words mount the AD547 on the print head if possible.  Those wires are very sensitive to radio noise.  Particularly any wires going to any fans or heaters.  So keep those wires as far as possible from other wiring.  Once the signal comes out of the AD547 board the wires are no longer sensitive to noise.  Keeping the thermocouple wires at least 1cm away from any other wires should be good enough.

But don't do that until you get things working.

You said it didn't work but could you be more specific? Is it reporting 0C?  Is it reporting an error? 

Here is how the AD547 circuit is supposed to work.  If you measure the 3 wires at the AD547 (or on the other end is better - on the white UM board under the printer), the voltage between red and black should be 5V and the voltage between green and black should be the temperature X10mv.  In other words 1V means 100C and 0.2V is 20C which is typical room temperature.  So expect around 0.2V on the green wire.  If this is true then you have all the wiring correct and the problem is with the firmware.

This is a critical step as being able to split the possible problems in half saves you a lot of time.

Posted (edited) · TOPIC FOR PRINTING HT FILAMENTS ( PEEK/ULTEM 1010/ULTEM 9085/PPSU/PSU) ON UM2+
    35 minutes ago, tiaguera79 said:

As on as you have them made I will want a pair. 

Thank you and soon I’ll send the diagram...

tks again.

I have it here, will test them this week and let you know, what is the temp u looking at btw, there are ones for 380-390 as well.

IMG_5089.JPG

Edited by rajilpahuja

15 hours ago, gr5 said:

Seems to be working fine all the system... just measures it all... almost 5v all over... here is the sketch...

image.jpg

And Yes it is a PT100. Sorry I didn’t answer before.

1 minute ago, tiaguera79 said:

And Yes it is a PT100. Sorry I didn’t answer before.

If its a PT100 then the UM2 board is configured for that, why would you do all this stuff ?

Can you share a picture of your equipment, seems to me you are over complicating things, where did you buy this from, and what is it please show us, so we can guide correctly

14 hours ago, rajilpahuja said:

@tiaguera79 Oh wow a thermocouple, that would be great, however to spare everyone this wiring stuff i will soon be coming out with a PT100 for upto 500C straight to the board, no changing pins and more accurate, its on my desk actually i just need to test it, then you can order from me as many as you want :)

2 hours ago, rajilpahuja said:

I have it here, will test them this week and let you know, what is the temp u looking at btw, there are ones for 380-390 as well.

IMG_5089.JPG

Looking for 450 because I need to print PEEK filament.

Can you send me a pic of what you bought ? So i can advise accordingly, the sensor i have is specifically for peek, and Carbon fiber peek, and if you want these sensors let me test them, if all is ok i will send you a pair to use :) , these are a bit more expensive than the normal ones for 400C :) 

And most grades of peek can print at 400C that is quite good, however for some medical grades is 425-450C