Ultimaker 4, The next generation of 3d printer

Troki

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 4, The next generation of 3d printer

Dear UltiSanta,

I have been a good boy this year and would like to see the following things on an Ultimaker 4 system:

• Larger build volume because, well, I like big things and I cannot lie, other guys might deny, teeny weeny things can be done by every other thing.....
  • Properly enclosed build area to remove heat issues on the whole.
  • Smoother ops between firmware and software. While firmware accepts 'PLA' (or other various substrate) regardless of color or type Cura wants to choke on it requiring a manual override when printing even though all the settings are the same when you are slicing (unless you change them of course), So if you are using presets, does it really matter what color it is?
  • A pausing function between prints to allow for cleaning ops as I change plates between each print
  • A pausing function During prints to allow for cleaning ops as long prints can accumulate or cook hygroscopic materials and require cleaning
  • An actual resume print after some sort of failure would be cool, especially on those long prints of days and days and it chokes at the last few hours
  • And, finally, a dilithium crystal matter/antimatter mix chamber for off grid printing when Armageddon hits :p

Edited by Guest
  • Like 9

Posted · Ultimaker 4, The next generation of 3d printer

a closed chamber thermally regulated, with closed compartments for filaments like pva....

This, plus:

- Filament that is easily accessible - accessing from the back is a joke

- Firmware that doesn't glitch 24/7

- Cura that actually works quickly and reliably

I bought an UM3 for its reputation for reliability and quality - I mistakenly thought it would be 'print and go' - I've had nothing but problems. At the moment I can't even send a Simplify 3D print via Cura to the printer (using Simplify 3D because Cura is awful). The supported underside of prints are a complete mess, stringy and not flat. I should be able to just print it out of the box perfectly and only mess with settings if I want to - not have to change things because they don't work in the first place!

Never had a firmware glich or a problem with cura, And we print almost 24/24 since 1 year now with our UM3E.....

But I agree that the underside of prints are a mess, if you print with PVA as support you will have a nice surface. But a long printing time.....

a closed chamber thermally regulated, with closed compartments for filaments like pva....

This, plus:

I bought an UM3 for its reputation for reliability and quality - I mistakenly thought it would be 'print and go' - I've had nothing but problems. At the moment I can't even send a Simplify 3D print via Cura to the printer (using Simplify 3D because Cura is awful). The supported underside of prints are a complete mess, stringy and not flat. I should be able to just print it out of the box perfectly and only mess with settings if I want to - not have to change things because they don't work in the first place!

Hi @TitaniumApple, sorry to hear you seem to be having some issues with your Ultimaker 3 and general user experience. I would like to invite you to open up a new thread where you elaborate a little bit more on the issues you seem to be having and hopefully we'll be able to provide you with some tips or fixes to significantly improve your workflow. Please let me know when you have to be sure I don't miss it. Thanks!

Dear UltiSanta,

I have been a good boy this year and would like to see the following things on an Ultimaker 4 system:

• Larger build volume because, well, I like big things and I cannot lie, other guys might deny, teeny weeny things can be done by every other thing.....
    • Smoother ops between firmware and software. While firmware accepts 'PLA' (or other various substrate) regardless of color or type Cura wants to choke on it requiring a manual override when printing even though all the settings are the same when you are slicing (unless you change them of course), So if you are using presets, does it really matter what color it is?
    • A pausing function between prints to allow for cleaning ops as I change plates between each print
    • A pausing function During prints to allow for cleaning ops as long prints can accumulate or cook hygroscopic materials and require cleaning
    • An actual resume print after some sort of failure would be cool, especially on those long prints of days and days and it chokes at the last few hours
    • And, finally, a dilithium crystal matter/antimatter mix chamber for off grid printing when Armageddon hits :p

Regarding the pausing requests, you can already pause your print using Cura, right? Do you mean using Cura Connect or in the traditional workflow? Regarding in between prints, by not confirming you have removed your print it will remain pending until you have, no? Maybe I didn't understand it, or perhaps I just already solved 30% of your UM4 wish list :p In any case, the dilithium crystal matter/antimatter mix build chamber in case of Armageddon is obviously there.

Dear UltiSanta,

Regarding the pausing requests, you can already pause your print using Cura, right? Do you mean using Cura Connect or in the traditional workflow? Regarding in between prints, by not confirming you have removed your print it will remain pending until you have, no? Maybe I didn't understand it, or perhaps I just already solved 30% of your UM4 wish list :p In any case, the dilithium crystal matter/antimatter mix build chamber in case of Armageddon is obviously there.

Even though you can pause the print, you cannot go from there to do other maintenance ops without mucking up the settings. For instance, you cannot make the printcores go to the temperature extremes needed for hot or cold pulls as it limits temp changes to 20°C. And, during pause, the extruders go to 100°C.

By not confirming the print has been removed, the operations are halted, but again, you cannot access the other functions.

• Like 1

This, plus:

Hi @TitaniumApple, sorry to hear you seem to be having some issues with your Ultimaker 3 and general user experience. I would like to invite you to open up a new thread where you elaborate a little bit more on the issues you seem to be having and hopefully we'll be able to provide you with some tips or fixes to significantly improve your workflow. Please let me know when you have to be sure I don't miss it. Thanks!

Ok thanks for the offer of help - my main issue right now is not being able to print at all with Simplify3D, whether through Cura or USB:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/52023-um3-and-s3d-g-code-unable-to-send-print-job-to-group

Thanks

Option of a bigger build volume.

New silent step control board with more smarts.

Closed-loop stepper-motor control with step-loss compensation.

Light weight direct drive.

5 extruders, system like the mark 2 with ability to have other attachments other then filament extruders.

Enclosed with temp control.

Smart filament sensor that can compensate drive slippage, detect run out etc.

Failed print camera detection also to detect if head is out of position if a pulley has slipped.

Failed print recovery.

Auto part removal for production runs.

Stiffer bed on ball screws.

Light weight stiff gantry.

Touch screen with a ton of options for adjusting on the fly or customising printer setup manually. (Options were less on um3 compared to um2 where it should have been more like tinkerware.)

Nozzle tip cleaner on material change With ability to set tip clean intervals for single extruder prints.

Hot swap spool changer for filament run out.

Phone notifications on printer status.

Probably missed a few things because I just woke up.

And make all this cheap enough so i can afford a print wall :D.

• Like 8

Having been interested in this thread, I would like to add the ability to print such goodies as this guy is.

I can see where these type of materials would be very useful in my long term goals.

Edited by Guest

This, plus:

Ok thanks for the offer of help - my main issue right now is not being able to print at all with Simplify3D, whether through Cura or USB:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/52023-um3-and-s3d-g-code-unable-to-send-print-job-to-group

Thanks

Hiya,

I sometimes get an issue with printing through USB with S3D but it's more getting it connected rather than printing, hence I usually use the SD Card.

I am wondering what you mean with using S3D through Cura. the only way would be to save the G-code with S3D then open the G-code with cura.

only reason I can think of is to use the print over wifi and/or cura connect.

so I have a genuine curiosity as to why you want to do it this way.

Bex

>>>snip

Thanks

I think @SandervG wants you to start new thread for a proper discussion to help you, as your subject for help is not really part of this thread :)

>>>snip

Thanks

I think @SandervG wants you to start new thread for a proper discussion to help you, as your subject for help is not really part of this thread :)

Actually a couple of independent threads.

I would like to have following features on Ultimaker 4.

-> Build Volume of 30x30x30 cm^3

-> Filament runout sensor

-> Special printcore for printing high temperature filaments like PEEK

-> Print NinjaFlex

-> 32 bit controller

-> 1/256 microstepping

-> Silent Stepstick Motor Drivers

-> Protection from power failure

And yeah don't remove Dual Extrusion and Auto bed leveling.

I know it is almost impossible, but i want the printer to be able to print from where was stopped by a power failure. I had something like this and 10 hours of print were wasted.

I know it is almost impossible, but i want the printer to be able to print from where was stopped by a power failure. I had something like this and 10 hours of print were wasted.

Even if you had a battery backup, you could still run out the power, so, no matter the setup you could lose power to the printer. I feel this should be something to aspire to as well.

Even if you had a battery backup, you could still run out the power, so, no matter the setup you could lose power to the printer. I feel this should be something to aspire to as well.

Duet3D have something for that, If detects a down on Below 19V saves status and parks the head. Ofc it needs tuning (since duet3d is a one for all solution for many kind of printers). But is doable.

Only point I can think of is bigger print volume, a ~300x300mm Ultimaker3

It will fit more markets (prosthetics,prototypes,design) with the good features of the um3.

All the features listed in this thread is only adding more cost, without adding more innovation to the printing process itself, its still squishing out hot plastic through a 0.4mm hole in a nozzle.

What about a hotend/nozzle with a mechanically variable hole size :)

Print from 0.25-1.0mm from the same nozzle.

Like those twist pens, twist the pen clockvise to widen the nozzle, and counterclockvise to narrow the nozzle size.

Imagine printing a "vase" or hollow object with 1.5mm wall, with your standard 0.4 nozzle, you get an outer wall and innerwall and you have 0.7mm left between.

This twist nozzle will just readjust itself to 0.7mm and print the last wall :)

Or it could adjust itself to 0.5 from the beginning.

That would be neat.

• Like 1

This feature is called a UPS and you can buy a good brand model from about $75.

All other solutions are only cheap workarounds and likely to fail. A build plate without power will cool down and your object will get detached. No way you can restart your print after that.

Perhaps UM can implement some way to overcome short power outages, like 1 minute, but after that your build plate will have cooled down too much. In locations with regular power outages a UPS is your best option and compared to the price of your printer such a unit is peanuts.

• Like 1

Do you know how long an UPS can sustain Ultimaker 3 ?

And by the way , it was only 1 power failure in 10 years and lasted 45 minutes, but lucky me, it was during a 24 hours print.

Do you know how long an UPS can sustain Ultimaker 3 ?

And by the way , it was only 1 power failure in 10 years and lasted 45 minutes, but lucky me, it was during a 24 hours print.

Different ones can run it for different amounts of time depending on storage and output loads. For instance, I have one that has two other units plugged into it along with the UM3E.

They are mostly ghost power and not fully operational at most times, but it does alter the equations.

Regardless of what size, etc. it can still run out of power and there is the need for a resume function on the printing side of things.

And, if you are running Cura and Cura connect, you should have a full fledged computer to use in a cross talk fashion to keep up with lines of gcode used and such.

• Like 1

An estimation of the required power could be: power consumption in Watt of your equipment (UM3 + any other equipment that has to stay on) x hours to survive power outage x 3. Thus: Watt x hours x 3. Then this would account for small variations, for degenerating batteries over time, and for all sorts of technical details.

But if you only have one power failure in 10 years, it might be cheaper to simply redo the print. UPS batteries don't live forever: expect them to fail in 5 years, probably at the time you need it...

And if you calculated the capacity to survive let's say 2 hours, but the power failure lasts 2.5 hours, then your print still fails.

Usually, the main purpose of an UPS is to survive *short* power failures, so that you have time to safely and correctly shut down your equipment, without loss of data, and without file system damage. And to smooth out spikes or irregularities in the mains voltage.

So, personally I wouldn't do it.

The other purpose of a battery backup is to smooth the power. It will take raw power and go to the batteries and then out to the peripherals. This creates a smooth sine wave and prevents spikes and brownouts as well as power shortages. The power in NYC is notoriously 'dirty' with more brownouts than spikes and failures. Unless you count the spike back to normal when recovering from a brownout.

Edited by Guest

Not impossible at all, I have one.

It's a good suggestion for the UM4.

(Oh, and bigger build volume - 30x30x30).

Speaking of power, for the electronics, I would also suggest a 110-230V heater instead of DC. Then you can have a much smaller DC power supply. That could be incorpored to the product! So you can lower the BOM cost... Instead of buying one....

Currently loving the U3 we have just bought at work but if I were to suggest some potential improvements:

- fully enclosed and thermally controlled chamber

- interchangeable heads for laser engraving. Maybe a "lasercore"? :p

- More stable soluble support material (PVA is great when it works, but when it doesn't work it's a nightmare)

21 minutes ago, JVorders said:

Currently loving the U3 we have just bought at work but if I were to suggest some potential improvements:

- fully enclosed and thermally controlled chamber

- interchangeable heads for laser engraving. Maybe a "lasercore"? :p

- More stable soluble support material (PVA is great when it works, but when it doesn't work it's a nightmare)

I think that whomever makes a better PVA or PVA type material will have the keys to the kingdom.....

• Like 1