Ultimaker 4, The next generation of 3d printer

Troki

Posted · Ultimaker 4, The next generation of 3d printer

I think they would only go to 1.75 filament if they start using direct extruders rather then bowden. If that can be done with a nice light weight system then yes. that would be a nice upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 4, The next generation of 3d printer

My wishlist:

• Better maintenance support at launch. This has mostly been resolved for the UM3, but for the first few months after launch there weren't many official sources of documentation for maintaining the UM3. Even now I have to write to support/sales if I want a spare part, which is unwieldy. fbrc8.com has a spare part section for the UM3 but it's rather sparse.
    • Better wire accessibility. I recently had to replace my print head cable and trying to thread that thing through was a nightmare. The UM3 seems to be built for ease of maintenance and modularity, so it was surprising how user unfriendly replacing the print head cable was. This is especially worrisome since it seems that the print head cable is one of those parts that might fail more often than others.
    • Enclosed spool holder with a little area for silica packets. Humidity is my #1 enemy, especially when printing with PVA.
    • Speaking of PVA, better options for cleaning the print cores would be nice. Even when printing under optimal conditions I find I have to do cold/hot pulls to clean out my BB core every few days. This takes a lot of time.
    • Support for PVB. Yeah this is more a Cura thing, but it'd be nice to at least get a generic PVB profile in there. I've got something that mostly works using PLA as a base, but I suspect a real profile that's been fully vetted will improve quality by leaps and bounds.
    • More reliability/ease of use. This is the big one, while the UM3 is still better than most printers, it's still got a long way to go before I would recommend it to even my less hands-on techy friends.

Don't get me wrong, I love my UM3, but there's lots of room to improve :)

Edited by Xalara
    • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have forget , somehow a little bit longer axle so the print head could use all the build plate ,

no matter if one AA core , or core AA + BB is used . (blind zones in Cura preview).

• Like 1

I wonder if it would be possible to use a revolving print head to fit multible print cores. It would be more complex but could take up less space than the current side-by-side setup.

3 hours ago, Coalwater said:

I wonder if it would be possible to use a revolving print head to fit multible print cores. It would be more complex but could take up less space than the current side-by-side setup.

Then we could call it the "Colt Aught point 4'.

Yes, I am American....I grew up around guns and was in the Navy......;p

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 4, The next generation of 3d printer

Woops...thanks to @Labern pointing out that this did not belone here, it is removed...sigh....I do not know what happened.....mutter, mutter......

StuckButtons.jpg

Edited by kmanstudios

@kmanstudios was your last post supposed to be here? ;)

2 hours ago, Labern said:

@kmanstudios was your last post supposed to be here? ;)

I see the post above your post....am I missing something?

Your post seems to be about a CURA issue rather then what you want in a UM4

ack!!!!!

Thank you!!

13 hours ago, Coalwater said:

That might become pretty messy with the Bowden tubes.

15 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Then we could call it the "Colt Aught point 4'.

Yes, I am American....I grew up around guns and was in the Navy......;p

Hehehe, good one! I had the word "Revolver" in mind while I was writing this.

6 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

That might become pretty messy with the Bowden tubes.

Yeah, that would be a challenge, but I got a few ideas. *|

Have a 2+ that I'm generally happy with; in the market for a second printer, but I will be very pissed off if I put down big bucks on a 3 and then the Ultimaker 4 comes out two months later. One thought is to buy one of the impressive low end machines, so I have a back up and can use for simpler tasks. Still can't fins any hints on when the Ultimaker 4 will come out.

RGB all the things

6 hours ago, FaultyTowels said:

RGB all the things

??????

4 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

??????

lol.  I think he means everything should be color control.  Lots of pretty lights.  The 2 cores and the primary lights aren't enough for this guy.  

11 minutes ago, gr5 said:

lol.  I think he means everything should be color control.  Lots of pretty lights.  The 2 cores and the primary lights aren't enough for this guy.  

Oh...ok...I too like the twinklies, but not in my interfaces..... :)

On 01/04/2018 at 10:47 PM, kmanstudios said:

Oh...ok...I too like the twinklies, but not in my interfaces..... :)

He could mean 3 feeders, one red, one green and one blue, all mixing in the nozzle to make every color possible. But beyond the mess and the technological limits, I think everything would just come out brown... :'D

• Like 1

Also, after spending 2 hours cleaning our printer, please remove the dead space below the printbed where only scrap plastic goes and you can't reach to clean! And as said before, please, ultimaker, please, close this da** printer!!!!!!!!! Why was it so difficult to put a door and a fan controlling inside temp?!? Also a better UI would have been good....

49 minutes ago, Swissengineer said:

Why was it so difficult to put a door and a fan controlling inside temp?!?

Because every single profile would need to be changed and re-tested.