Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
  • Sign Up
arcadi

Manual for developing cura plugins

Recommended Posts

Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins

Hi geeks,

I'm looking for plugin development manual in the web, but I can't find anything...

Do you know where I can find some tutorials or similar?

Tnks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins

What sort of plugins would you like to develop?

The old Cura had "plugins" for postprocessing gcode. The new Cura has those as well, but calls them "scripts". The new Cura also has many "plugins"; almost everything from USB printing to Layer View, from Cura Connect to moving, scaling and rotating models, all of that is implemented as "plugins".

So, what sort of "plugins" would you like to create?

No, there are no tutorials as far as I am aware, but I could point you to simple plugins that are relatively easy to understand and learn from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins

I am also looking for some info on plugin development, specifically sending commands to, and getting info from, the attached printer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins
On 11/9/2017 at 10:12 PM, ahoeben said:

No, there are no tutorials as far as I am aware, but I could point you to simple plugins that are relatively easy to understand and learn from.

I want it, if is it possible. 🙂

Thank you very much.

 

Meanwhile, I'm a fan of your plugins. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins

I want to develop and debug post processing scripts. 

 

The section of develop is almost easy, reading other PPScripts and having some python knowledge, but debugging is a pain, open cura, "execute" the PPS, see the result, close cura, modify the PPS, open cura, "execute" the PPS, see the result, close cura... so boring. I tried this thread, but without any result:

 

I could be a great idea to have a manual to configure how to develop and debug PPScripts, or just an easy "cura_pps.exe" to invoke it with parameters like the gcode, the PPS, and in the batch window see what is happening or something to stop/continue each processed line from the gcode.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins
12 hours ago, ersinkecis said:

I want it, if is it possible. 🙂

 

What sort of plugins would you like to create?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins

Currently we have a wiki on GitHub https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Creating-Packages

 

I'd really like to do something more comprehensive than this though, so your suggestions are noted and I'm watching this thread.

 

We were already banding some ideas about this around, maybe something like a readthedocs template. What would you like to see?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Manual for developing cura plugins
2 hours ago, maht said:

Currently we have a wiki on GitHub https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Creating-Packages

 

I'd really like to do something more comprehensive than this though, so your suggestions are noted and I'm watching this thread.

 

We were already banding some ideas about this around, maybe something like a readthedocs template. What would you like to see?

 

I understand that this post is only for plugins, is'n it?

 

May i open another to learn about post-processing scripts? Is it possible?

 

Thank you so much in advance

 

 

Edited by Rabbit-o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins
51 minutes ago, Rabbit-o said:

May i open another to learn about post-processing scripts? Is it possible?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Manual for developing cura plugins
16 minutes ago, Cuq said:

 

 

 

Thank you so much Cuq!

Rabbit.

 

Edited by Rabbit-o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins
16 hours ago, Rabbit-o said:

 

I understand that this post is only for plugins, is'n it?

 

May i open another to learn about post-processing scripts? Is it possible?

 

Thank you so much in advance

 

 

 

Ah I see. The post processing plugin is indeed a plugin. Within this particular plugin you can add python scripts that will post process your GCode as it exits CuraEngine. You can see them here https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/tree/master/plugins/PostProcessingPlugin

 

More recently when we refer to plugins we refer to the ones distributed through the Marketplace, which behave a little differently. That's what I was talking about above (and I'd still love to hear what ideas you might have for documentation there).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins
On 6/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, ahoeben said:

What sort of plugins would you like to create?

For example, I want to write a plug-in about electricity consumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins

That sounds like an "Extension" type of plugin:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/wiki/Plugin-Types#extentions

An example can be found here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UraniumExampleExtensionPlugin

 

It also sounds similar to this plugin, but you'll have to update it a little before it will work in Cura 4.6:

https://github.com/zoff99/ElectricPrintCostCalculator

At the very least you would have to update the api in plugin.json from 4 to 7, but you also have to change from Preferences.getInstance() to CuraApplication.getInstance().getPreferences(), and there is likely more.

 

See also the plugin documentation for Uranium, the framework Cura is built on:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/wiki/Creating-plugins

Here are some more basic examples:

https://github.com/Ultimaker?q=example

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Manual for developing cura plugins
On 6/19/2020 at 8:49 AM, ahoeben said:

That sounds like an "Extension" type of plugin:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/wiki/Plugin-Types#extentions

An example can be found here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UraniumExampleExtensionPlugin

 

It also sounds similar to this plugin, but you'll have to update it a little before it will work in Cura 4.6:

https://github.com/zoff99/ElectricPrintCostCalculator

At the very least you would have to update the api in plugin.json from 4 to 7, but you also have to change from Preferences.getInstance() to CuraApplication.getInstance().getPreferences(), and there is likely more.

 

See also the plugin documentation for Uranium, the framework Cura is built on:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/wiki/Creating-plugins

Here are some more basic examples:

https://github.com/Ultimaker?q=example

 

 

Thank you for the information you provided. I will evaluate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Talking additive | The 3D printing podcast
      Why should we be the only ones asking questions? Join us and ask Jabil all your questions on September 22nd 5pm CET
        • Like
      • 2 replies
    • Ultimaker masterclass: Optimizing your Ultimaker Cura workflow
      Save your seat for either broadcast on September 23.
      What will you learn?
      · Best practices for iterative print preparation and every lesson you should learn from each print
      · The right way to use per-object settings and when they are most useful
      · Easy-to-use resources for anyone who wants to develop their own printer definitions, plugins, or print profiles
      · How to optimize print profile settings and whether to “keep” or “discard” changes
      · When is the right time to export your drawing from CAD? (Based on Ultimaker Cura’s surprising power as 3D control software)
      · And a whole lot more tips and tricks!
       
      How can I join?
      This free masterclass will take place twice:
      1. 11am CEST (5pm SGT, 5am EDT)
      2. 5pm CEST (11am EDT, 8am PDT, 11pm SGT)
        • Like
      • 0 replies
    • Do you use 3D printing at work? Let us know
      It doesn't matter if you are using 1 Ultimaker or 10, there is inspiration in everything. We're looking for ...
      • 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...