Hollow Model Printing Solid

jjdualan

Posted · Hollow Model Printing Solid

Just bought a UM2 and making my second print. Totally new to the whole 3D printing thing. I'm trying to print this object https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1335823

I loaded the file into Cura and left everything at their defaults and exported to the sd card. Tried printing it and it started to come out totally solid until I aborted it.

Taking another look in Cura in Layer View it looks like it's printing exactly as the software says would, just not how I thought it would. Here's a screenshot of what the layer view looks like in Cura:

5a3340c3f1453_Screenshot2017-11-1022_49_13.thumb.png.4fc49b42f0242da81ff0d2fcb74eae3d.png

Is there something I need to do in Cura so that it doesn't print that top layer totally solid? I tried changing the top/bottom thickness to 0 but that resulted in this:

5a3340c41c5d4_Screenshot2017-11-1022_59_55.thumb.png.9a6c272d71839ff43801b86363595f3a.png

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

5a3340c3f1453_Screenshot2017-11-1022_49_13.thumb.png.4fc49b42f0242da81ff0d2fcb74eae3d.png

5a3340c41c5d4_Screenshot2017-11-1022_59_55.thumb.png.9a6c272d71839ff43801b86363595f3a.png

It's not your fault - it's a bad model - you might be able to see this if you look at it in xray mode - anything in red is a problem (like extra walls inside the model). Unfortunately you didn't create it so not so easy to fix.

First I would try the "mesh fixes" options in cura - the top few ones - check those to see if it fixes it.

If not then there are some tools out on the web that will fix it for free. If you manage to fix it please upload your fix as a remix on thingiverse to this model so other people can download the fixed version.

netfabb used to have a free web service that repairs meshes. Try that first - I think it's still there. It's the easiest tool I think that usually works. If that doesn't work there is meshlab but you'll need to find instructions first for repairing non-manifold meshes. or just google "3d mesh repair tools"

Posted (edited) · Hollow Model Printing Solid

Forum is really bad today...eating replies and now will not even display a link properly. Grrrrrrrrr

Wow, that was a sloppy file. I am surprised you could get anything out of it.

I went ahead and remade it by 'tracing' over the master file and snapping at its vertex points. I am not sure if it could have been fixed. I have no idea how anybody ever got anything printed off that.

Here is the fixed file.

Edited by Guest

That was nice of you kman bug @jjdualan did the netfabb method instead (he posted over on thingiverse).

Anyway - that was so nice of you that I uploaded your stl to thingiverse as a remix so people in the future can try your version.

Posted (edited) · Hollow Model Printing Solid

Hey, I appreciate it :)I will have to look at the netfabb thing that he posted to see how it turned out. That thing was a mess. Sadly, too many people do not know how to model.

That thing was a mess.

I did do a double check on it and cleaned it just a bit further if you want to re-up the file. The same link works as I just overwrote the previous file. It was a bit of guess work with jutting angles and corners.

http://www.kmanstudios.com/Nikon SB-600 Flash Color Filter Adapter (Vivitar 2800)_Fixed.STL

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1