Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
InspGadgt

Acceleration and Jerk settings in Cura

I was wondering...is there a default acceleration and jerk setting that Cura sets up in the G-Code if you leave them undefined? I ask because I use both Cura and Simplify3D...I noticed that my Cura prints have a better finish than my Simplify3D prints but that modifying my acceleration and jerk settings in the printer itself helped my Simplify3D prints quite a bit but didn't do a thing for my Cura prints of the same object. So it seems like maybe Cura is defaulting acceleration and jerk to lower values to get better prints.

From what I gather, if you leave jerk and acceleration control at disabled, your controller will use settings that are defined in the firmware.

You might be getting better results because Cura sets the outer/inner wall speed at a rather conservative value, something like 50% of the print speed, where on the other hand Simlify3D might be using something like 80% of the print speed. So, if you have a print speed of 60mm/s, Cura will print outer walls at 30mm/s and Simplify3D at 48mm/s, which is a difference that is big enough to increase the effects of rippling/ghosting on a Prusa i3 printer.