Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Posted · Second Extruder

I have bought an stepper motor and connected to E2 port of the board. I am using cura with the latest version and added 2nd extruder to a "customized printer" which is UM2. But 2nd motor didn't work even I choose the 2nd extruder for the part? I wont connect a nozzle, I want only the motor work. What can I do?

Posted (edited) · Second Extruder

I think what's happening here is that the firmware is trying to prevent you from pushing cold filament through a nozzle; the firmware does not know you don't have a hotend to go with the extruder motor.

I think there's a gcode command to lower the minimum nozzle temperature at which the extruder motor will try to extrude. You could put that in your start gcode.

Edited by Guest
    Posted (edited) · Second Extruder

I think what's happening here is that the firmware is trying to prevent you from pushing cold filament through a nozzle; the firmware does not know you don't have a hotend to go with the extruder motor.

I think there's a gcode command to lower the minimum nozzle temperature at which the extruder motor will try to extrude. You could put that in your start gcode.

That should be M302... I will try

Update:

Tried and it started printing without heating nozzle and tried to extrude the filament with first extruder. 2nd one didn't work...

Edited by Guest
    Posted · Second Extruder

That should be M302... I will try

Update:

Tried and it started printing without heating nozzle and tried to extrude the filament with first extruder. 2nd one didn't work...

Do the M302 after the tool change

Posted · Second Extruder

I added M302 as a start code to the extruder 2... But didn't work...

You only talked about Cura so far, so first things first: you need to install a firmware for 2 extruders... In case of Marlin this also needs (at least) a second temperature sensor. I've not tried it, but the temp sensor can perhaps be "faked" by using a resistor instead (would be cheaper... and is probably safe as long you don't install the second heater).

In short - a bit more tinkering is necessary to get it to work.

Posted · Second Extruder

I added M302 as a start code to the extruder 2... But didn't work...

You only talked about Cura so far, so first things first: you need to install a firmware for 2 extruders... In case of Marlin this also needs (at least) a second temperature sensor. I've not tried it, but the temp sensor can perhaps be "faked" by using a resistor instead (would be cheaper... and is probably safe as long you don't install the second heater).

In short - a bit more tinkering is necessary to get it to work.

Solved with a similar way. Thanks. Case closed :)

Posted · Second Extruder

hi, 

What did you do to solve this issue??

Posted · Second Extruder
    On 13.02.2018 at 3:04 PM, theoross said:

hi, 

What did you do to solve this issue??

I used a firmware for 2 extruders and also connected a temp sensor. I had one stuck with the original nozzle and I used it.