About Cores

kcel

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a Ultimaker 3. I've been eyeing Ultimakers for awhile and I'm close to pulling a trigger on one. I have interest in the dual extrusion hence why the 3 instead of the 2+.

One thing is kinda bugging me: UM3 has been out for a little over a year, but there are only 4 types of print cores available. Considering two of those cores are dedicated to PVA, then really there are only two types of cores available.

When I first heard about the swap-able core idea, it sounded pretty awesome. I expected there to be a number of cores available with varying nozzle sizes, configurations for exotic materials, and so on.

I know of the Solex core and I suppose that has potential but I'm a little dismayed at what Ultimaker has provided. Are there plans for more cores coming in 2018? I'm sure I can print wonderful things with the .4 and .8 cores that are currently available, but I can't help but wonder why there isn't more. Maybe there just isn't an appetite for them on the UM3 market, fewer tinkerers than the UM2+ community?

Curious of what people think, particularly current owners of an Ultimaker 3.

Lots of people buy the 3dsolex cores. Note that when the UM2 came out it only had the .4mm which was integrated nozzle/heater block in one part. Ultimaker sold an incredible amount of UM2's before the Olsson block came out which allowed swappable nozzles. Even I, as a UMO and UM2 owner was pretty satisfied with only the .4mm nozzle for a few years (now I use the .8 quite a bit).

The reason it takes quite a while to launch an additional core/nozzle size is that Cura comes with highly tuned quality profiles for all combinations of materials, layer heights and nozzles. Tuning these profiles takes a lot of time, while the number of materials to support keep growing.

Posted · About Cores

This all sounds good. I think your right that for a majority of cases .4 or .8 will probably do you just fine. I may look into picking up a Solex in the new year sometime.

And news of a 0.25 nozzle in the pipeline sounds good.

If someone in the print core creation department is listening....

Any hope of creating a print core that can process continuous strand CF? Would be a game changer to have an alternative to markforged with the ultimaker flexibility.

FWIW

John

If someone in the print core creation department is listening....

Any hope of creating a print core that can process continuous strand CF?  Would be a game changer to have an alternative to markforged with the ultimaker flexibility.

FWIW

John

Not sure if that would be a strictly core issue, but it would be a very nice thing to have. For what it takes, I am on board with the idea. That and super high temps to print those really high TG materials.