Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ChrisRiddell

Ghosting when slicing with Cura

Hello,

I'm having issues when I slice with Cura I'm seeing some weird ghosting/artifacting in my prints, I done a test by copying the settings as best I could over to S3D (Speed, Shells, Top and Bottom layers and etc) and got pretty much no ghosting.

Any idea on what Cura is doing?

I used the stock CPE profile for Ultimaker 2+.

Photo of Cura 3 print (it's way more noticeable when it was in the printer under it's lighting.

IMG_0293.thumb.jpg.e600ccc5ff156dc3f90c901a2e665cba.jpg

Photo of S3D print

IMG_0298.thumb.jpg.f27f9d359ebc08504558fdfa1d333f93.jpg

IMG_0293.thumb.jpg.e600ccc5ff156dc3f90c901a2e665cba.jpg

IMG_0298.thumb.jpg.f27f9d359ebc08504558fdfa1d333f93.jpg

What I see in the first image looks like the infill showing through. What wall thickness are you printing with? Have you played with the "Infill Before Walls" setting?

the default 2 walls, I have not played with "Infill Before Walls" yet but will give it ago.

Could you please post a link to the model? Thanks.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:853358

I did reprint the model with some settings changed 3 wall, less infill, different layer height etc, and got the same results, here is the project file if that's any help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K9Wk1ELcb7qFxw9EmmBwrbBH9WI5TY_e

On 11/18/2017 at 11:45 PM, ahoeben said:

Have you played with the "Infill Before Walls" setting?

Made no difference. 

Just want to bring this back up with more testing Cura is doing something weird and spent a good 4 days trying to work out why with no luck, This infill showing through effects PLA, ABS and really shows up in PETG the most.

eg: 

Cura 3.1

IMG_0632.thumb.jpg.8954acabffa9a0de42e8ddcd82680305.jpg

Simplify3D 4

IMG_0633.thumb.jpg.ddf7b8935e6f33b60719266cc527243b.jpg

Both had the setting matched as best I could.

35mm/s Main Speeed

25mm/s Outer wall

245c nozzle (PETG)

75c bed

100% flow

4.5mm retraction

5% infill overlap

tried to match the slow down speeds for layer time as well the best I could.

I don't think its just me as A friend got a UM3E and is also seeing this just getting permission to post one of his photo's here and i'll add if I can.

Edited by Skippy7

5 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Search for a thread about "Zebra Stripes". they address this issue in that thread.

If its its to do with the stepper drivers and the TL-Smooths will fix it why would other slicers like S3D and Slic3r PE that I tried lessen the effect alot especially for PETG?

3 minutes ago, Skippy7 said:

If its its to do with the stepper drivers and the TL-Smooths will fix it why would other slicers like S3D and Slic3r PE that I tried lessen the effect alot especially for PETG?

That would be above my knowledge base....sorry......There are those who would be far better to answer that. I just can reference threads that I have seen. When I saw the pic, I knew what was meant by 'ghosting.' Plus, my experience has only been with the UM3X printer. Sorry I could not be of more help :)