Cura (all versions) fail to start after Windows crash with profile corruption

mct75

Posted (edited) · Cura (all versions) fail to start after Windows crash with profile corruption

Hello!  My computer got a BSOD and when I logged back in some of my Windows settings had been reverted, my Google Chrome profile was gone, etc.    I assume environment variables and the like might be messed up too.  Maybe Python and stuff too. Just a backstory.  Cura worked great before the crash.

When I try to launch Cura (2.6, 2.7 or 3.0) nothing happens.  No splash screen or anything.  I deleted the appdata/local/cura folders and when I launch Cura I get a stderr.log (which is empty) and a stdout.log which is pasted below.  No other files or folders.  I've tried reinstalling but this is all that happens.

Thanks!

stdout.log:

UM.Qt.QtApplication.__init__ [55]: Adding QT5 plugin path: C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.0\PyQt5\pluginsUM.Qt.QtApplication.__init__ [65]: Adding QT5 plugin path: C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.0\PyQt5\pluginsUM.Resources.__initializeStoragePaths [342]: Initializing storage pathscura.CrashHandler.show [39]: An uncaught exception has occurred!cura.CrashHandler.show [42]: Traceback (most recent call last):cura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 969, in _find_and_loadcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 958, in _find_and_load_unlockedcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 664, in _load_unlockedcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 634, in _load_backward_compatiblecura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "__startup__.py", line 12, in cura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 969, in _find_and_loadcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 958, in _find_and_load_unlockedcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 664, in _load_unlockedcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "", line 634, in _load_backward_compatiblecura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "Console.py", line 24, in cura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 81, in cura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Application.py", line 321, in getInstancecura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 206, in __init__cura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 70, in __init__cura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Application.py", line 89, in __init__cura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Resources.py", line 65, in getPathcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Resources.py", line 117, in getStoragePathcura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Resources.py", line 154, in getStoragePathForTypecura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "X:\3.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Resources.py", line 352, in __initializeStoragePathscura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "ntpath.py", line 113, in joincura.CrashHandler.show [42]:   File "genericpath.py", line 143, in _check_arg_typescura.CrashHandler.show [42]: TypeError: join() argument must be str or bytes, not 'NoneType'

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Cura (all versions) fail to start after Windows crash with profile corruption

I'm assuming that since you're a Windows (version?) user, you create regular system backups to extract you from a messy situation when one strikes? I use Aomei Backupper Standard which is free and excellent.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura (all versions) fail to start after Windows crash with profile corruption

Thanks nzo! I run Veeam and it works very well, but I'd rather not restore 3+ TB of data and reconcile everything I've changed in the past week just to fix an issue with a single application.

I assume environment variables and the like might be messed up too.

See if the APPDATA environment variable exists by opening the start menu and typing %APPDATA% and pressing enter. It should open a folder.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura (all versions) fail to start after Windows crash with profile corruption

Hmm, it originally echoed as %appdata% in a command line. I ran "set appdata=c:\users\me\appdata\roaming" and now "echo %appdata%" works as expected but Cura is still behaving the same.

The set command works with echo but still not from a run prompt. Apparently there's a registry option that needs to be tweaked, I will try that.

After chasing keys around in the registry, I punted and restored my entire NTUSER.DAT file and now Cura loads and all my profiles and printers are back.

It wasn't a Cura problem, but instead a Windows one.