Ultimaker Cura 3.1 | Beta

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 3.1 | Beta

Ever since the release of Ultimaker Cura 3.0 we have been working hard to continue our innovations and get Ultimaker Cura 3.1 ready for beta testing. We're happy to share which new features and fixes we have in store for you this time! :)

Some of the highlights:

Layer view allows you to monitor a simulation of the printing strategy according to your settings in the layer view.

Increased speedand faster response times (5-10%) reduce lagging when processing, selecting printers or profiles.

Jogging Control your Ultimaker 2+ with on screen controls via USB.

A little bit more in-depth:

Layer view.

The existing Layer View has been updated in order to see all the paths within a layer. This enables easy testing of the CuraEngine features, and better visualization of the sequence of each printed layer.

simulation.thumb.png.0ab8123f87a1d7e08575f6ea96860261.png

Jogging.

Jogging allows the printhead to be moved with on-screen controls. The Ultimaker Original (+), Ultimaker 2+ and other RepRap printers can now be fully controlled from Ultimaker Cura when connected through USB. Each axis can be jogged in 0.1, 1, 10 and 100 mm increments.

jogging.thumb.png.b5380e347b437278199d9064802f4f73.png

Scripts folder.

A scripts folder is now available in the Ultimaker Cura configuration folder. This folder can be loaded with post processing plugins scripts, which will automatically show in Ultimaker Cura.

Relative positioning of infill patterns.

Infill patterns are now positioned relative to the center of loaded models. Whenever you load the model, the infill is positioned the same. An offset can be applied to control the infill more precisely and adjust it to taste or strength. (@smartavionics, @DarkDVD)

We have added bugfixes for: Layer numbers being displayed incorrectly when switching between solid and layer mode, Cura engine crashes on certain models, uninstalling previous versions of Cura on Windows platforms, and fixes for displaying visible settings.

We’d like to thank our contributors : @ahoeben, @smartavionics and @Bagel-Orb

If you want to know more, check out our blog.

Convinced already? Download Ultimaker Cura 3.1 Beta right here!

As always we love to hear your feedback!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

The Ultimaker 2+ and other RepRap printers can now be fully controlled from Ultimaker Cura when connected through USB.

Also works with OctoPrint-connected printers.

Jogging is just the start; I plan to contribute nozzle preheat and extrude/rectract for Cura 3.2.

btw.: I assume, the jogging is alsu usable at UMO's - isnt??

Yes, any printer that is connected through USB or OctoPrint. I don't have a UM3, so there's no way for me to get that to work.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 3.1 | Beta

Fantastic addition to the layer view !! was one of the main things missing vs S3D imo.

layerVideo.thumb.png.eea9f6bb4c7570f9495d225c95ce0d99.png

Small remark, I think the PLAY button should be placed next to the video slider.

IMO the translucent nozzle representation may be smaller, or even just a simple line, to block less of the model.

Maybe increase the size of the dot's on the video line to easier "grab" them for manual sliding, maybe check on a high-res display...

Also at first glance, probably just because I'm used the the S3D implementation I'm missing a play speed, and continues play for the whole model, but not sure if I'll really miss it..

• Like 2

Small remark, I think the PLAY button should be placed next to the video slider.

In the development branch, it has already been changed like this (but I don't know if that change will make it into 3.1):

simulationview.thumb.png.12acc9d8beb137f0157e45e0a0346ab9.png

• Like 1

umm link doesn't bring me to the beta... :/. just the standard version...

Make sure you use the small link below the 3.0.4 download button

ya figured it out, just thought it was a direct link to the betas..

I'm currently working on overhauling the whole remote printer connection. I expect that to be in the 3.2 release. It should make the whole authentication / discovery bit of the UM3 a whole lot more stable.

I will also build the jogging for pre 3.0.1 firmware UM3 printers.

one thing I would really like to see that Cura doesn't have (well besides custom supports ;) ) . Numeric input adjustments, especially in rotation... it's very difficult at times to rotate something just right with just the mouse...

I'm getting this python error.

Screenshot_3.jpg.45fa02f8e1006799c0a5015f128dbebd.jpg

Thanks, what type of printers do you have installed?

Another person also reported this: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2837

@Msuurmond

I added 7 custom printers and the Ultimaker 3.

I also have the BCN3D Cura version (1.0.3).

Do you need any log file from beta 3.1?

Edited by Guest

Numeric inputs for all translations would be really nice as Thomllama said, but also an orthographic view so that placement of objects is not reliant on the on-board perspective views.

If I had my choice, numeric input would be tops. But I do miss the accuracy of an orthographic view. Just your basic Top, sides, not really an orthographic that is rotate-able.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thanks, what type of printers do you have installed?

Another person also reported this: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2837

Same happens at me... Workaround (del cfg) is ok for a beta test, but bug need for sure to be killed for final :-)

Thanks for the great job, it's very good.

Now I get better printing results with Cura them Simplify3d. I only miss the terminal to send GCODE commands to the printer, it's very important to setup and level the printer.

If it's not asking too much please add this feature to the software.

Thanks and continue the great work.

Found what I think is a bug, no idea if it's specific for 3.1.

When using a post-processing g-code modifier, In my case "pause at height" on the UM3, it will not be applied when printing over the network directly form cura. If however you print via USB, or even if you first save the file somewhere and than print over network, the change will be applied.

People who have custom printers and crashes, could you zip and upload your config directory? Than we can reproduce the bug and fix it for 3.1 final.

Where exactly is that directory?

Where exactly is that directory?

Same place as the log-directory. 5a334140e5381_ScreenShot2017-11-27at11_41_29.thumb.png.b8ee18d9948f21aa298f59727f471743.png

C:\Users\"USER"\AppData\Roaming\cura\3.1

https://we.tl/szRC2belAD

@amagro

We see that in the file 'beethefirst_beetf_0.6_tpu.inst.cfg' you have a setting:

[metadata]
    quality = normal

it should be quality_type = normal. We now check for these things and that is why the upgrade didn't work.

Only problem is that we can't see why it did work in Cura 2.7/3.0.4. If you remove this file, do you than still see your printer/custom profiles in Cura 2.7?

Edited by Guest

@Msuurmond

I already deleted the 'beethefirst_beetf_0.6_tpu.inst.cfg' file and I still having crashes in the new 3.1 beta (and I don't have the Cura 2.7).

I also delete the cfg file has @draysin suggested but I can only work with the new custom printers atributed on 3.1 beta. If I try to choose an old custom printers a crash will occour, as you can see in the image bellow.

Screenshot_6.thumb.jpg.ec6ac4833e32b4de58371b010023bf56.jpg

Edited by Guest