Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
elinovia

Problems with fluctuating temperature on extruder 2

Hi all!

I just received my UM3 Extended and I have performed some testprints. On extruder 1 (left) everything works just fine. I set it to 210 degrees and the printer pretty much holds that temperature. On extruder 2 I set the temperature to 180 and every now and then the temperature drops 10 degrees resulting in bad print. I've used a 5mm cylinder as a testprint and where those fluctuations in temperature occurs, there is a change in the diameter of the cylinder.

I've switched place of the two print cores but the problem remains on extruder 2 (right)

I've attached the temperature chart and a picture of the print so you can see how the temperature change affects the print.

Any suggestions?

screenshot.thumb.JPG.47a39c3054b72d91d414dc8a4b80fd0b.JPG

print.thumb.jpg.3610ee2a5f402883c9e48b907bc89d90.jpg

screenshot.thumb.JPG.47a39c3054b72d91d414dc8a4b80fd0b.JPG

print.thumb.jpg.3610ee2a5f402883c9e48b907bc89d90.jpg

You should contact your reseller.  I think some wire is loose in the head maybe or the connection is too high or too low and not making good contact with the temp sensor.

The answer I got from the reseller was pretty much what you said, that in some cases there has been a connection problem between the main circuit board and the head. They advised me to test to make sure the connector in the head was inserted properly. I will test this later this evening and report back.

Minutes ago someone just told me you should push the wires further down into the head and then to also put some tape around them so there is a tighter fit and they don't slide up again.

Having only tried a small print of about 20 minutes everything looks ok now! I've just started a longer 4 hour print now so that will be the final test. But so far so good!

I will add some tape to ensure the connector doesn't give me any more headache! Thanks for your help!!

screenshot2.thumb.JPG.f0d0c75140c923af63f4bbb67ac6ef6b.JPG