Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
puris

Unable to complete boot after startup following faulty firmware upgrade

I have been running 3 Ultimakers in a small shop for about 3 months now with few to no issues.

With the recent firmware release (12/04), I upgraded the firmware for all three. However, one of them, the one that's been in use the longest, has an unusual boot issue.

After the firmware upgrade process completes the first part and it reboots, the printer is stuck with "Ultimaker" on the screen, the dial light on, and the frame lights on at full brightness.

A power cycle does nothing, but a power cycle waiting 10+ seconds allows it to boot seemingly normally. In this state, network prints fail, the Cura web panel for the printer unable to show current printer sensor status.

I have tried redoing the firmware update manually with a USB using 4.1.4 (12/04) and 4.0.1 but to no avail.

I pulled the USB logs, there's some stuff about being unable to access the motion controller and other things but I'm not sure how that's exactly related.

I'm all out of ideas, so I'm hoping someone out there might be able to lend a helping hand.

Here's a snippet from one of the logs showing the errors:

https://pastebin.com/Nhmp9mGA

Edited by Guest

The problem reported in the log file is that it fails to open the serial port to the motion controller. This is a strange error and can have multiple causes.

The posted log message does not contain all info I need to analyze the root cause of your problem.

Can you mail the complete log dump file to me? Or post it somewhere from where I can download it.

I managed to get it printing after a few more days of troubleshooting.

After doing any update, the printer does get stuck just displaying Ultimaker. Once the logo displays, I wait for a period of about a minute, then turn off the printer and unplug it. I wait another 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in and turn it on. Only then does it decide to boot. If I flash the firmware again, I have to do the same thing.

It seems to be fine now, but I'm afraid that I might brick it if I update it again.

I can't post a full log at the moment, I'm away from the shop for the holidays. I should be uploading it sometime in the second week of January.