Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mgg942

z-axis moving too much?

Recommended Posts

Made a couple of things this morning - no problem. Then a problem that has me baffled.

The print starts off fine but something goes wrong as the number of layers mount.

To my inexperienced eye it looks like the z steps are too great.

The photo is of a whistle that I've made successfully several times using the same material (PLA/PHA). Settings are Cura beta 2 defaults, layer height 0.1mm, filament diameter 2.85mm, fill density 20%.

Z motor coupling grub screws are tight (all 4).

I increased the pressure on the extruder feed.

No better.

Hopefully someone can take a look at the photo and identify the problem!

P1110230

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Test Z only. Using crua or pronterface move the Z up and down in known amounts - for example 10mm or 100mm. Measure the distance moved. See if the two directions move different amounts. I would measure against the wood near either of the back 2 corners with a ruler or paper or calipers. Your Z error looks very high - more than 10%. If you have an ulticontroller ask it what steps/mm for Z are. Maybe it got corrupted and power cycling will fix.

FYI your very first printed layer (skirt) isn't quite flat (squished) enough - when leveling your bed use a piece of paper and make sure there is slight tension between the paper and bed. Then move the bed even closer to the nozzle by 1/8 turn on each screw.

This isn't your current problem but it will cause problems in the future (e.g. part not sticking well to bed, bottom layer has gaps, bottom layer doesn't look as good as top layer).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I dunno....

Checked Ulticontroller - z-axis steps/mm 533

I used the Ulticontroller to Auto Home, measured as shown below. Used Ulticontroller to move down 50mm, Measured. Then back up 50mm measured. Did this twice.

50mm down measured 49.67, 49.79

Return to zero measured 0.13, 0.27

Before checking the jumpers, I uninstalled Cura 13.04 and closed_beta_2. Then installed Cura 13.05. Made new gcode and all seems well!!!!

I've been confusing myself with the several Cura versions so I'll now have only 13.05 - for a while at least.

Re z setting. I don't know if the photo was misleading or not, but I've no issue with adhesion. Possibly through scrupulous use of Isopropyl alcohol. Nonetheless I'll move in the direction that you've recommended.

Thank you both for your help.

Here's how I measured - a couple of pieces of wood on the patform and a digital vernier.

P1110235

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 0 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!