Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
sproutdesign

Problems setting slower speed for PVA supports - UM3Ext ignores settings

Hi,

I'm having problems with Cura settings not being recognised or used while printing

I want to set the PVA support printing speed to 50% of the PLA print speed.

This is the only way I can get a particular print to work, as the PVA normally creates a birds nest. If I manually slow it down while printing PVA it prints OK but I have to keep watching the print.

In Cura I have set Print Speed to 35 and Support Speed to 15, but they still print at the same speed.

I've tried resaving, renaming, resetting, even experimenting with Support Speed of 1mm/s but it still prints support PVA at 35mm/s whatever setting I put in Cura.

I'm running Cura 3.1 and latest UM3+ Firmware 4.1.4.20171204

How do I get the support speed I need?

Thanks

Ah - I think I've found out more

The the slow support speed setting only works on the second layer.

The first layer everything is still printed the same speed which seems to be Initial Layer speed whether support or not.

So only the first layer ignores the Support Speed, but it would still be helpful to be able to set this as the default is still too fast for the PVA to adhere to the build plate.

Changing this to 10mm/s now works for PVA but also makes the rest of the print very slow.