Silver PLA material printing problems

jfedotovs

Posted · Silver PLA material printing problems

Hello,

I have to print big module, it takes around 10 days and in a final should be around 30cm high. I am using Ultimaker 3 extender. But as You can see in a pictures I have a problem, that silver PLA material makes such an ugly wires on edges. Things what confuse me, is that it starts in a few layers, then it stops and then starts again. After keeping detail in a water and PVA material disolve, main detail looks not very nice becouse of ugly PLA metarial wires which are left.

Unbenann1t.JPG.b68134d19a1db887a20cad526b4911dc.JPG

Unbenannt2.thumb.JPG.ae2f7cdda1bf6c85bf855441d834a5eb.JPG

Unbenannt.JPG.b614c978abd1630519e6bc4fcb39261f.JPG

Unbenann1t.JPG.af2f72444c35eb2fec70e1531fa9f2dd.JPG

Unbenann1t.JPG.b68134d19a1db887a20cad526b4911dc.JPG

Unbenannt2.thumb.JPG.ae2f7cdda1bf6c85bf855441d834a5eb.JPG

Unbenannt.JPG.b614c978abd1630519e6bc4fcb39261f.JPG

Unbenann1t.JPG.af2f72444c35eb2fec70e1531fa9f2dd.JPG

What printer, slicer (version too) are you using?

At first glance, it would appear to be severe stringing. Perhaps try to cut back a bit on printing temp and maybe speed.

I have 203 degree and speed 60mm/s for silver PLA. When I print smaller details, then I didn't notice such a problems, but with such a huge detail I have this problems. I have tried to print this part already for third time, and previosly these "wires" were aprocimetly in the same position, like right now You can see in the pirctures.

I am using Cura 2.7.0.

Yeah could be temperature related, what settings are you using? That silver PLA normaly prints nicely

I have all defult settings, exept speed 60mm/s and temperature 203 degree.

I agree with You that this material print really good, and normal size details looks realy nice, and layers looks almost like one solid materials, but exetly with this big detail, when details high is already 7-8cm, I start to notice this wires. I have printed this detail for few times and this wires of silver material are aproximetly in the same places all the times. But still, even doesn't look to these wires, layers look really nice,.

Could it be slicer related?

Maybe you can try with Cura 3.1, it looks a bit different than stringing to me.

203°c should be good temp

Ok, I will try to update my sowtfare and after six day I will try again, when this one will be finished.

Thanks.

I routinely print most of my PLA at 195°C.

I'm curious kman. Why would UM have specced PLA at a mean temp of 210°C?

Do you find 195°C still gives your model good adhesion and strength?

I know you print big models so maybe you've found 195°C better for that.

When I was printing with this temp. (195°), in my opinion it looks like layers stick to gether not enough good, the model was... I don't know best expression.. I would say- dry, becouse under the force layers devides quite easly. And I thought, I have to rise a temp. a bit higher.

But still, I have read in a lot of forums about temp. and in conclusion I decide to print with temp, between 200° and 205°

Posted (edited) · Silver PLA material printing problems

Different PLA materials have different properties. I do not always use UM materials due to cost.

I also wonder if the UM3E I have actually runs a bit hotter than it says it is.

Edited by Guest

The UM3 has better cooling than the UM2 with it you can print lower temperatures also... 200°c should be fine and depending on the material you can go lower (not if you print big layers)

The stringing is not normal.

My 2 cents: don't change temperature and printing speed. Use the default profiles that are supplied in Cura. Use the latest Cura.

The stringing is not normal.

My 2 cents: don't change temperature and printing speed. Use the default profiles that are supplied in Cura. Use the latest Cura.

Thanks, I will try next time with defult settings and updated Cura.