Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
kmanstudios

Weird Failure at beginning of print and notice of actions of repeated printing of failed print-Curra Connect

To begin with, here is the link to the boot logs.

Yesterday I started a new print. It went through all the basic setups: Leveling, heating, etc.

It laid down the first layer of PVA with no issues. But when it came time to do the priming blob for the PLA, it went bonkers.

I heard it sound as if it had just jammed somehow with the feeder grinding mercilessly on the filament of the PLA. When I turned around (It is behind me at my work station in the house...well, really studio....) and it was priming and priming and priming and would not stop. I hit the abort on the wee wheel and it would not stop. The blob had started to creep up the nozzle so I had to hit the power button.

Now, I have one printer and use Cura Connect to stage, arrange, re-arrange and follow my prints.

When the printer was powered back on, it had put up a notice of "Failed Print." But, since I have my spools in a place where the NFC chip cannot be read, I have to choose generic materials and have to manually override at each print. This is not a problem for me because I use this time to change plates, clean, prime the surface with PapaK's Magical Slurry Sauce.

What I noticed is that when the print failed, it moved it from the printing area of Cura Connect back down to the first position in the queue below. If one were to have the printer setup in a way that it did not need overriding of material choices, then it would have automatically restarted the print again and again ad nauseum.

While it is a nice automating feature, it does show that it is a bit too automated without any way to control pausing, stopping or printing starts.

I mention this because something similar had been reported in another thread and due to my setup, I got to watch the actual procedure the software puts in place.

But, why the prime blob would not stop and kept pushing filament through, nor would the abort work, is a mystery to me. I did pull the grinded part out of the bowden tube, and it was a nice grind indeed, but after that, it did what I have seen it do before and just worked. It was also nice that it just grinded on the filament when the pressure built up and not just pushed filament way up into the core and needed minimal cleaning.

Edited by Guest