Defect prints with Cura 3.10, Octoprint and Ultimaker 2+ / Perfect from SD-card

callep72

Posted · Defect prints with Cura 3.10, Octoprint and Ultimaker 2+ / Perfect from SD-card

Hello Ultimaker community!

When I print the Ultimaker Robot with Octoprint, the hands gets messy.

Well, not only the hands. The lower parts of the arms are just random strings.

The same robot from the SD-card prints excellent. Every time.

The photo shows the difference. These examples are printed in ABS.

UMrobots.thumb.JPG.a7fea0b4357701c16414eccd0d6aa8cc.JPG

I have made an effort in ensuring that they are printed with the same settings, from Cura.

I have repeated this ca 10 times and changed only one factor each time.

The results are consistent and I dare to say it´s not random.

I run latest Octoprint on an RPi2 connected to my network by ethernet cable and to UM2+ by USB.

* I´ve used Cura 3.10 from Win10 and Mac

* I´ve used the UM2+ firmware from Cura 3.04 and Tinker V17.10.1

* Gcode flavor is set to Marlin but RepRap is also tested

* I´ve printed in PLA, ABS and XT

The results have been identical.

The start and stop gcode in Cura are altered slightly to output more material before print and to lower the plate after print.

This works.

I would really like to get this working because everything looks super slick and works like a charm - except the results. My plan is to add the 7" touchscreen to Octoprint/OctoPi once this is working.

Grateful for any help to make this awesome!

Best regards

/Carl-Henrik

UMrobots.thumb.JPG.a7fea0b4357701c16414eccd0d6aa8cc.JPG

Posted · Defect prints with Cura 3.10, Octoprint and Ultimaker 2+ / Perfect from SD-card

Not sure but looks like this is the case

The robot in the Ultimaker sd card is a model with some supports under the arms.

There is a robot without these supports i'm guessing this is the one you are printing

Thanks for the reply.

The robot is the same in both cases and is printed without support and brim from Cura.

In both cases it has the little support for the hand, which is part of the model I have.

What I understand, when you use Octoprint all print settings are transferred as gcode

but when the SD-card is used, some settings from the menu system is used such as temperature for nozzle and bed.

Maybe there is something to configure differently in Cura?

Do you (or anyone) know if Octoprint is used with success together with UM2+?

I have Octoprint set up on my Um2+ and it works fine. 

before  you sent it to the octoprint from CURA can you see the hand supports in layer-view. It doesn't look like its trying to print them.

I have to back paddle...

When looking in the layer-view, as Labern suggested, I noticed that I actually was printing different robots. One with support for the hands and one without, exactly as DidierKleins educated guess. Thanks for getting me back on track! Also encouraging to hear that Octoprint works fine with UM2+.

Below is an ongoing print via Octoprint with complete arms and their small support.

image.thumb.png.be2cb9ffc88322c026d24c0757349a04.png

Case closed / Many thanks!

• Like 1

:-)

This is hillarious because the purpose of the prints were to verify that printing via octoprint would work as good as from SD-card.

And I used different yardsticks... :'D  

I have a problem like this one but I really took the same model to print the part.  The only this I change is that I scale the model when I print it with my SD card because I was short on filament left on my spool.

On the left, it is the cura 3.1 slice model.  the GCODE send to octoprint.  With reprap GCODE...

On the right, it is the cura 3.1 slice model, transfert to SD card...with ULTIGCODE

Why with octoprint those print settings is bypass from the ultimaker 2+ firmware???

The filament temperature

The bed temperature

IMG_20180114_201146.jpg

The ultimaker 2 firmware does not allow you to use Ulti Gcode when printing over USB. Ulti Gcode is the flavor of gcode that does not set the material settings in the gcode but in the printer.

When you set the gcode flavor to Marlin, you get material settings in Cura (including temperatures), and you must use those instead of the settings on the printer.

I have to take those settings in cura to make the print as perfect with if it's print with the SD card...

name=PLA
    temperature=225
    temperature_0.40=225
    retraction_length_0.40=6.50
    retraction_speed_0.40=25.00
    temperature_0.25=225
    retraction_length_0.25=6.50
    retraction_speed_0.25=25.00
    temperature_0.60=230
    retraction_length_0.60=6.50
    retraction_speed_0.60=25.00
    temperature_0.80=240
    retraction_length_0.80=6.50
    retraction_speed_0.80=25.00
    temperature_1.00=240
    retraction_length_1.00=6.50
    retraction_speed_1.00=25.00
    bed_temperature=55
    fan_speed=100
    flow=100
    diameter=2.85

But why on octiprint I can adjust the tool and the bed???

image.png.982e1c8368cd8417ad1b99fcad63b436.png

image.png.2f0601356bd54ff62d83d4e3871287d9.png