Ultimaker Forum | Feedback

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Forum | Feedback

How are things going with the anchor points for you Nilrog? Using internal links and notifications should work however using the pagination it does not yet (and the prospect to fix that element does not look good). But if you are navigating using the pagination, you probably know what topic you are in. 

I haven't thought much about it...but if I follow a notification link now it seems to work fine  :)

The pagination issue is more that you can't use pagination at all because it will scroll further than what the available screen area is...so you are forced to use arrows or the mouse...which is not as simple as pagination.

2 minutes ago, nilrog said:

The pagination issue is more that you can't use pagination at all because it will scroll further than what the available screen area is...so you are forced to use arrows or the mouse...which is not as simple as pagination.

What do you mean? You can't click on page 4, 5, 6 or the last page? If the page is out of scope, did you know you can also click on 'Page 8 of 8' and type in which page you want to go to directly? 

2 hours ago, SandervG said:

You and me both. The best 'second best' we could offer, was to educate people to use a tag in their post which told us what printer they had / asked a question about. In the past there were also plenty of people we had to 'tell' to update their profile, now we have to ask sometimes to add the tags to their post. 

I just took a look....maybe I am blind or just a doofus (most likely) but I went to my profile and did not see any type of tag or signature to put this information into my posts.

Hi @kmanstudios, I mean when you start a new thread you have the option to add a tag, below where you enter the title of your thread. This tag allows you to specify a machine that concerns your post. It is not so good of an alternative because it is disruptive from a workflow we were all familiar with, but it also has its benefits because you can also use these tags to search the forum and you could for example see all posts that are tagged with 'UM2+' which could be convenient when you search for something concerning an Ultimaker 2+. 

So it is not connected to your profile, but to the thread you write. 

@SandervG, does that mean when someone posts about their issues, the tag will show up?

I rarely look for UM3 posts. Even though that is the limit of my experience in 3D Printing on a personal level, it does not mean I will focus only on that. I like to read about all the issues to further my knowledge bank as well as make extrapolations from other's experiences.

I can see the tag as a useful search tool, and I will start using it to help others, but I have not seen anything when I read other posts about any of that information. And, I always left it blank because I figured the search engine would do a keyword search throughout all threads and not just tags.

It means that when you create a thread, you may select a tag. It is not automated nor mandatory. Here is an example of the tags for this category, giving feedback about our platform. 

In hardware for example, and many other categories, you can select nog UM.com or Mobile, but UM3, UM2+, UMO etc.

tags.thumb.jpg.90f9990640c6345e43f16e905efd33d4.jpg

When applied, it looks like this in a category. I'm sure it must look familiar to you. 

5a86e8e2bbb63_tagscategory.thumb.jpg.4d56c2f5f094ef2e1c53555b7434889d.jpg

When you click any of these tags, you search the whole forum for threads labeled with this tag. So if you are in a helpful mood, you can click 'HELP' and start answering all topics of users who are in need of help ;)

The exception is 'Solved', only the OP can label this one and make it into a prefix. 

A prefix looks like this:

prefix.thumb.jpg.d360b149502a983b480a134e9fa7a6cc.jpg

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Forum | Feedback

OK, that clarifies the usage. I knew how to create it, but did not understand its purpose. But, being able to understand someone's system configuration that is automatically posted does keep people from having to re-enter the same info in each information space of the query or answers.

I did look at the profile and did not see the place where I have always seen other forums allow for the placement of such a signature thingy. Some just used it for a pithy remark, other used it for putting forth pertinent information.

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks for the time spent on the graphics.....it really did help :)

Edited by kmanstudios

The 'Notifications' page is totally out of whack:

notification.thumb.jpg.cf94010e91217c7f7d554c227b255640.jpg

Black arrows: Same topic, it tells me that I've read the most recent comment by kmanstudios from 5 minutes ago, which I haven't yet, but I haven't read his comment from 12 hours ago, which I have.

Green arrows: Same topic again, I haven't read anything there, except I did read the comment from one hour ago.

Red arrow: Still tells me that I haven't read the new comments on this topic, except I did.

And that's just the first half of the first page. The notifications there still pretend that I haven't read answers in topics dating several weeks ago, which I did since I've replied to these same topics in the meantime.

Sometimes while typing, the cursor jumps to a random position somewhere else in the text, and it starts typing from there. Instead from where I was actually typing. For example while typing on line 12, it may suddenly jump to line 5 halfway a sentence, and continue from there. This mostly happens after inserting a smiley by typing a colon and a bracket, which is then auto-replaced by a real smiley a few lines later. But it also happens on other moments, usually after making a few edits. This is annoying, since of course it messes up the sentences. But this also disables going back to the point where I want to type: the cursor keeps jumping away from where I want to type, to somewhere else; it just refuses to stay where I put it. Sometimes I have to delete a whole paragraph and type it in again, simply because the cursor does not let me edit it. So I would suggest you remove all automatic tools that try to interprete our texts while typing, we don't need Big Brother "autocorrecting" our texts into garbage, à la Microsoft Word.  :)

Edit: forgot to say: system is Windows 7, SP1; and browser is Pale Moon, most recent version. (Pale Moon is a Firefox split-off that kept the old-style decent menus, when the Firefox user-interface people went insane and abandoned all established user-interface guidelines.)

Edited by geert_2

Hi @geert_2 thank you for your feedback! I have had it too a few times. For me refreshing the page always helped and with this new forum software, my post has always been saved and I could just continue my message :) Have you tried this as well? 

4 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi @geert_2 thank you for your feedback! I have had it too a few times. For me refreshing the page always helped and with this new forum software, my post has always been saved and I could just continue my message :) Have you tried this as well? 

I haven't tried that this afternoon when I had a stubborn cursor, but I will try next time. Thanks for the feedback.

I always assumed this was happening to me because I am an uncoordinated dork.....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I always assumed this was happening to me because I am an uncoordinated dork.....

It is, but that only goes for you. Not the rest of us ;)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SandervG said:

It is, but that only goes for you. Not the rest of us ;)

We is as we does :)

I get that I'm not longer an Ambassador like you kindly send me the notification @SandervG

But. Now I'm 'Members' not a 'member' ? I'm multiple people? 

I have an error message on the lower end of the forum since today:

[[Template core/front/global/_customFooter does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nothing in the functionalities of the forums seems to be affected, as far as I can tell.

The software was updated yesterday. Which theme do you have, the Ultimaker one or the default IPboard theme?

What operating system do you have, and what browser? Thanks!

I have the same profile status error message.

Tried both themes.

Running Windows 10, Chrome.

I just created my account yesterday.

Edited by MarkF

I also have that error message "template core ... blablabla... does not exist...", in both themes (default and ultimaker). For example when using "print preview" in my browser (=most recent Pale Moon); and when editing my user profile. But not when just reading messages.

In print preview when using the ultimaker-theme, the header is repeated on every page, and it runs *through* the other text. This when "printing to PDF", which is handy to keep usefull postings, for example when diagnosing problems. This might be a problem in the print CSS style sheet?

Further, it seems that the system changed my printer to UM3, instead of UM2. I don't know when that happened, I just noticed it today.

Has the footer/ error message been fixed?

Today I still have a "template error" in the account settings. Yesterday I also had another one elsewhere (don't exactly remember where), but that seems to be gone? Anyway, these errors seem to have no effect on functionality, as far as I can tell.

I also included screendumps of the layout problems in the "print preview" of my browser, and thus also in PDF-prints. Printing to PDF works well with the default theme (blue title bar), but not in the Ultimaker theme: the layout problem of the title running over the text is present in both landscape and portrait format, and in each size (80%; 100%; shrink to fit; etc...). Probably a CSS-problem? This problem of course does have an effect on functionality: reading becomes more difficult. The work-around is simple, but you have to know it: switch to the default theme.   :)

Screendumps:

template_error.thumb.jpg.a7fa47312d2992a0caade4182e51bd76.jpg

Account settings

printpreview_ultimakertheme_notokay.thumb.jpg.af70380cb7735a0210ec012e11e726d3.jpg

Print preview (and PDF-prints) in Ultimaker theme

printpreview_defaulttheme_okay.thumb.jpg.42a03e4a4ca728b7254fc78eda46f3cb.jpg

Print preview in Default theme

Edited by geert_2
    clarified a sentence

17 hours ago, SandervG said:

Has the footer/ error message been fixed?

The message in the footer is gone today for me.

Windows 10 with Firefox, both are up to date. I have the default ipboard theme and the same message in my Account settings than @geert_2:

[[Template core/front/global/profileNextStep is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another fix is implemented. What about now? :)

It's fixed for me. Thanks.