Ultimaker Forum | How does it work

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Forum | How does it work

Hi,

Welcome to the new Ultimaker community forum!

Whether you just arrived for the first time, or you are a regular guest already, you might be wondering where you can find some of the basic features of this forum. To make the transition as smooth as possible, I’ve written some guidelines that should help you.

The top right is where you can log in or register to create an account for the Ultimaker community. When logged in, you can access your profile there, see your notifications and direct messages.

In your account, you can view your profile and via account settings you can access your notification preferences . We recommend checking your notification preferences to make sure they are to your liking.

You can receive notifications from content that you follow and receive, subforums that you follow and even users you have chosen to follow. No need to miss anything. 

In the menu you can find:

Browse

-       Forums, this is where you can talk and dive into the knowledge that is in our community.

-       Calendar, you can create your own events here. So will Ultimaker. You can notify if you will be going to an event and receive notifications.

-       3D Prints, you can share your 3D print here and you can check out what your fellow community members have made. You can also share gcodes, curaproject.3mf files and jpg (pictures of your print) here.

-       Leaderboard, which community members are most active and what topics are most popular. You can find it here!

-       Our picks, hand picked content, selected just for you. Must reads for everyone.

-       Clubs , this is a private section of the forums. It is not uncommon we test a variety of new products or services in our community, sometimes open beta tests (like Cura), and sometimes closed (like [censored]). The closed beta’s will take place in private clubs.

-       Guidelines , our house rules. I would like to invite you to take a look at them before you start.

Activity offers a couple of different filters that offer you new content. Under ‘My Activity Streams’ you can create your own filter to fully focus on topics you care about.

Ultimaker.com; is an easy and fast way to our main website.

We love to hear from you. So when you have a question, make sure to post it on our forums. There is a chance somebody already asked it before you, so the fastest way to your answer might be just a quick search via our search bar in the top right corner.

Didn't find your answer? Then click ‘Start new topic’ and launch your question into our community. It's important you select the right category to post your question in. For example, our Cura team monitors the Cura thread but not per se the ‘official news’ channel.

Secondly, there is a new option to add tags to your post. This can be a quick way to create context to your question, and is also a fast way to search or filter content you need.

We hope you enjoy our new forum, you can let us know what you think right here and if you're new, feel free to introduce yourself here :)

As always, have a great day! 

:ultimaker:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• SandervG featured and pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, drayson said:

Nice! need to take a deeper look, but the first impression is great :-)

Good to hear, make sure to let us know what you think after you've taken a deeper look :)

On 16-12-2017 at 4:26 PM, SandervG said:

Welcome to the new Ultimaker community forum!

Looks good to me! migration seems to have gone very well! @SandervG congratulations!

I especially like the ease of quoting in this new forum!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Forum | How does it work

Whoo! I can post again :D But is my post account also right?

EDIT: Yeah it is!

I personally dislike the UM theme. I think it looks way too uhm, messy/cheap/off. Default helps a lot, including the non sticky top bar etc.

@SandervG I can still make events ;)

Would it be possible to sort the list of @ people smarter, for example by posts or 'points'?

Edited by Titus

7 minutes ago, Titus said:

@SandervG I can still make events ;)

Would it be possible to sort the list of @ people smarter, for example by posts or 'points'?

When I clicked your link in your DM I just landed on the calendar, so I'm not exactly sure what is wrong. You are allowed to make events, if for example you want to host a user group meeting. 

Re the @-list, you mean the autofill? Not sure if this can be configured, but I usually know who I want to tag and it may help with preventing a typo. I'll look into it.. 

5 minutes ago, yellowshark said:

My only issue is that my notifcations have disappeared!!

Can you be more precise? Your specific notifications of posts you replied to previously? 

Just looked at your recent activity, one of your recent replies here and you still seem to be listed as a follower. Did you not get a notification from something? (I do know that migrating notifications was not easy, for example some forum categories have been merged or split up (Cura & Marlin = 2 topics now) and some notification frequencies we supported (weekly emails) are not supported by IPboard. So down those lines there may be some changes indeed. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Some feedback on the browse category, content wise:

I love the way 3D prints is done, very very nice, except I cant download most of the files. And if I can, it is the first picture, for example:

I like how the embed on the 3D prints link looks. Lets try out some other links:

Ok it seems limited, but the main things work.

One very nice thing, I just clicked a link, thought I lost my feedback, pressed back in browser, and whoop, post was still there!

On to the calender, I guess it could be useful. The leaderboard I just can't get behind. I don't get the need for points and gamifications. I just don't see what it adds to the forum and I believe that was also the general consensus of the community when asked.

Our picks(layout was fixed, kudo's for the response time!) is nice, I like it.

Another nice thing, I closed the tab by accident, reopened it, draft still there :D !!!!!!!!

Clubs, will have to try that one out, anyone want to invite me in their super exclusive club ^^?

Guidelines, sure, but does it have to be there?

I see the ultimaker.com category has been removed, now the bar feels even more empty. What about just skipping the top bar(moving some activity items to the browse category, and just only display the browse category)?

Test:

Sweet, you can now control+V(paste) images to this WYSIWYG :D But the goal was to show that the rounded egde looks somewhat pixelated on 1080p.

Uhm, about the events, are you not worried that if users can create their own events (I added my birthday, and the same event 12 days later to check if it was actually birthday related to the calendar. Kinda spammy sensitive? Perhaps a moderator/admin approval step?

2 minutes ago, Titus said:

except I cant download most of the files. And if I can, it is the first picture, for example:

This has little to do with the migration I think. In the past, people could upload a screenshot and this was the '3D print'. This was the only file attached in the database, the file linked to YouMagine or Thingiverse was not hosted on our servers. 

Looking forward, it is allowed to upload photo's still, but also gcodes, curaprojects and small stls (there is a max file size). This should bring some more diversity to the file(types) you can download. 

4 minutes ago, Titus said:

Clubs, will have to try that one out, anyone want to invite me in their super exclusive club ^^?

On the previous forum environment we had a couple of hidden forums when we held closed beta's. This forum does not support private forum categories, but it does support private clubs. So when there is a need for a new closed beta, this will be held in the clubs. This holds no further functionality for users. 

6 minutes ago, Titus said:

Guidelines, sure, but does it have to be there?

Maybe not, but I think it could be a nice reminder. Not sure if everyone read it previously. I'll keep track if it gains pageviews and can decide accordingly if it has a purpose. 

7 minutes ago, Titus said:

Kinda spammy sensitive? Perhaps a moderator/admin approval step?

Perhaps yes. I can put a review step before, figured I would first see if it would get abused. It is relavitely easy to delete all content from a spammer. And with all the eyes we have on our forum, they should be caught pretty fast. 

Same goes for new registrations by the way. Previously they required moderator approval, as an experiment this is no longer necessary and users can post right away. But they do have limited accounts and flood control. When flagged as spam, they can not post anymore. I hope this makes the onboarding easier for new members :)

Thank you for sharing your feedback! 

Cool, thanks, I'll put the rest of my feedback in the actual feedback topic. ':D

2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

This has little to do with the migration I think. In the past, people could upload a screenshot and this was the '3D print'. This was the only file attached in the database, the file linked to YouMagine or Thingiverse was not hosted on our servers. 

Looking forward, it is allowed to upload photo's still, but also gcodes, curaprojects and small stls (there is a max file size). This should bring some more diversity to the file(types) you can download.

I am not entirely sure it is beneficial to have a download button in the case only an image is uploaded. But not a whole lot you can do about it, I agree. Perhaps renaming the text "Download this file" to "Go to downloads", and then go to the same page you get when there is no download:

And list the files. In that case people can see what kinda of files there are, instead of being prompted a jpg download file.

13 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Can you be more precise? Your specific notifications of posts you replied to previously? 

Just looked at your recent activity, one of your recent replies here and you still seem to be listed as a follower. Did you not get a notification from something? (I do know that migrating notifications was not easy, for example some forum categories have been merged or split up (Cura & Marlin = 2 topics now) and some notification frequencies we supported (weekly emails) are not supported by IPboard. So down those lines there may be some changes indeed. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Sorry! very imprecise of me. I was referring to my notifications queue in the top right hand corner of the display. They have all disappeared apart from the one you just sent advising us that the forum was ready. I thought I read in the last week or two that the notifications would be migrated, maybe I am wrong. No real problem if they are not migrated, I will scan the forums I follow to find the ones I have not read yet; there were a few when the forum closed.

Emailed notifications seem to be fine - I have received  a number of them in the past 30-60 minutes

And to reiterate, very fast for me and right now I am on home wifi instead of linked by lan cable which is my normal connection method.

My notification queue is missing the delete icon (when hovering the mouse) against the individual notifications. Perhaps there is a new way of deleting them?

Did I say it was fast? Blistering

• Like 1

OK a separate point.

On the downside. When you want to follow a posting, on the old system you just hit a follow button. On the new system it is now becoming irritating. One hits the follow button and then a dialogue screen is displayed. On my monitor I have to scroll down to get to the 2nd follow button and press that. So whereas it used to be a simple press, now it is not.

Yahoo, it works with Internet Explorer. Bye bye you nasty Edge :p:p:p:p:p:p

People use Internet Exploder?    :)

Lol I am convinced that every time there is a Microsoft update (which is now an awful system with win10) Microsoft deliberately introduce a bug to Exploder to try and convince people to move to Edge. When it gets a decent GUI and condescends to import my Explorer favourites then maybe I will use it out of choice I do like the reading list function but for me Exploder rules :sunglass:

closed betas take place in private clubs.... what exactly are you testing there...hint: don't use girl names ;-)

Congrats on a job well done, Sander. I know it must've been pretty nerve-wracking the past few weeks :)

• Like 1

Hi @SandervG another minor one. There now seems to be no indication in the notification queue that one has read a post. In the old system the notification text turned from black to light grey when one accessed the notification. Coupled with the lack of a delete icon I think it is going to become a PITA very quickly

Somehow I'm being bombarded by new email messages for every new post in this thread despite updating the notification settings a few times from the mobile.