Rescueing a half printed model with Cura ??

ian

Posted · Rescueing a half printed model with Cura ??

Ok, so I measured with the ulticontroler, and I'm able lower the nozzle down to 95.8mm. At this height I can move the head with no problem, if I go 0.1mm lower (really hard btw, you have to old the wheel between 2 clicks), it's scratched the surface of the print.

So, do you think the first layer should be the one that starts at 95.8mm, or the one on top at 95.9 (yes, I'm using 0.1mm layers)? I would say the one at 95.9,but I'm not sure

I'm glad that I did this check, because with my previous estimation just by looking at layer in cura was at 96.1, I was close, but I could have got some air-print.

Unfortunately, I might not be able to test tonight because my girlfriend is coming over, but definitely tomorrow :)

If I'm successful, I will post a recap of the prcedure in the Art of Printing

my girlfriend is coming over

Yay!

95.8mm, or the one on top at 95.9

Hell I don't know. I would slide piece of paper in there and see how tight it is. typical paper is .1mm (of course you can measure that with calipers). You want it to start .1mm above the existing print. So if with paper there is slight resistance sliding the paper when the bed is at 95.9 then print the 95.9 layer next.

There's no way you will get everything perfect. The bed has probably drooped - my bed seems to droop .1mm over the course of a day. Especially the front edge. There's going to be a tiny seam. Sorry. But less than if you printed fresh on the bed as we always get a little bit of that "elephants foot" on the first layer (because it can't shrink but the layers above shrink while cooling).

So there we go it's printing. Unfortunately, looks like I was a couple of layers too low, so there is a big seem visible. Even though I had prepared 3 files starting from layer 955 to 957, I could not really see the result until it had printed a few layer. Oh well, nevermind, a bit of sanding and carving with a blade should fix it. I'm still happy. I'll post a photo when it's done. Thanks for the help guys!

So here it is, finished1004716_10151639445288605_1172189942_n.jpg

So you definitely see the seam, but I think it's moslty due to me getting the wrong layer: I printed the same layer twice and the same height. But I already manage to erase most of it with a blade. Once sanded and painted, it should look good.

Overall, I would not recommend using this hack if a 2 hours print fail, you're better off starting over. However, if like me, your prints fails after 35 hours and you don't mind having a seam in your print, it's a really cool trick to know

Nice model. I like it.

Congradulations ! Looks good! Could you post a photo after you cleaned it? I would really like to see how we'll it cleaned up?

I was just thinking .... What would be maybe cool?.... If the print head had a pressure sensor, then the print bed would lower down... The print head would move out to the middle and then start the bed to move up, when the print heat touched the top of the existing model, the pressure sensor would be triggered and then the print head would know exactly what level it is at.,, then the ultimaker could continue the print automatically from that layer..,. Just an idea ?

Ian :-)

Haha, Guys!!

it's almost impossible to fantasize without leaving reality :ugeek:

What you want is something Renishaw (and others of course) is specialized in. Take a look in complexity and imagine how to implement a taster which costs you more than a few new Ultimakers. It isn't impossible. You'll drive Daid crazy:-)

However, if you take a look at this point, they almost make use of the same code.....