Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
adrian.dulley

newbie needing help

Hi,

I am a teacher and very new to 3D printing so far, it is going great lots of buzz, excitement but I need some support and searching forums / help files isn't getting me anywhere.

I have an Ultimaker 2+ and Cura 2.7.0 only had both for one week and havinga few issues with the Cura part:

1. I would like to print several different parts on same plate but having followed the instructions to load multiple parts it never seems to work (drag & drop, loading fresh from file and opening recently viewed) for most part either opens the one I want to add only or just a blank ultimaker with no model.

2. The models I have previously saved or have had sent by my students open as presliced so I can't edit them 

Not sure if I am missing something simple but any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

1. You have to drag them one at a time.  Or go to the file load menu and keep adding parts.  Also you can right click on a part and multiply it if you want to print more than one of the same part.  The files must be .stl files.  Dragging more than one file at a time doesn't work.

2. The stl files are the INPUT to cura.  The gcode files are the output from cura.  If you open a gcode file as input it can only show you what the slices look like, not the actual model.  If a student wants to be able to print something more than once or share it they should be saving the stl file somewhere for future use.  Not just the gcode file.  In addition you can save a project (this creates something like myprint.project.amf) which saves the models *and* all the settings in cura you used for that model(s).