Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Ddkerssen

Cadkey solids

Cura can not directly open 3d-design files.

You need to export your design from your 3d-editor to the STL-fileformat. And then open that STL-file in Cura, or in any other slicer of your choice. And then save the result as a gcode-file for the 3d-printer.

For exporting to STL, usually a few standard quality settings will be available, depending on the editor (I don't know Cadkey). Try medium quality for big objects with not too much details, or fine for objects with much detail. Of something equivalent. This is trial and error to see what works best for your typical designs and your 3d-software.

(But of course, before exporting, first save your design in your editor's native fileformat, so you don't lose it.)

2 hours ago, geert_2 said:

Cura can not directly open 3d-design files.

You need to export your design from your 3d-editor to the STL-fileformat. And then open that STL-file in Cura, or in any other slicer of your choice. And then save the result as a gcode-file for the 3d-printer.

For exporting to STL, usually a few standard quality settings will be available, depending on the editor (I don't know Cadkey). Try medium quality for big objects with not too much details, or fine for objects with much detail. Of something equivalent. This is trial and error to see what works best for your typical designs and your 3d-software.

(But of course, before exporting, first save your design in your editor's native fileformat, so you don't lose it.)

Yes, I did export an STL, there are 2 tolerance settings for STL, "surface deviation" and "normal deviation"

On 12/22/2017 at 9:40 AM, Ddkerssen said:

Yes, I did export an STL, there are 2 tolerance settings for STL, "surface deviation" and "normal deviation"

I downloaded a STL from thingverse, and it works. In Cadkey I made an STL of a cube, it doesn't work. I opened both files(ASCII), the beginning and end and data format look the same. Is there anything in Cura that will tell me why the files fail to load?

On 12/26/2017 at 10:19 AM, Ddkerssen said:

I downloaded a STL from thingverse, and it works. In Cadkey I made an STL of a cube, it doesn't work. I opened both files(ASCII), the beginning and end and data format look the same. Is there anything in Cura that will tell me why the files fail to load?

I found the problem. The end statement in Cadkey was "end solid" but needs to be "endsolid" one word. It doesn't bother some slicers.