Cura deleting pre-modeled supports for a print.

Zekiguy123

Posted · Cura deleting pre-modeled supports for a print.

I am trying to print this wing with my UM2+. The model has some sort of structural support in it to keep it steady yet lightweight. For some reason, cura does not slice the interior supports. The first image is the normal view showing the supports. The second image is a view of the inside of it in layer view and it shows all the supports gone.

c1.PNG

C2.PNG

They are most likely too skinny to print.  Generally the have to be 2X the line width setting in cura although I think there is a "thin wall" option where they can be only 1X the line width setting maybe.  To prove it set the line width to 0.1mm just as a test to see if it decides to then print the supports.

Alternatively it could be a bad model - look at it in cura in xray mode.  If you see any red or brown then the model is bad.

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

They are most likely too skinny to print.  Generally the have to be 2X the line width setting in cura although I think there is a "thin wall" option where they can be only 1X the line width setting maybe.  To prove it set the line width to 0.1mm just as a test to see if it decides to then print the supports.

Alternatively it could be a bad model - look at it in cura in xray mode.  If you see any red or brown then the model is bad.

Ok so I tried setting the line width to 0.1 mm and it still doesn't slice it. I also checked off "thin" wall and nothing changed. I went into xray view and didn't see any brown or red on the inside of the model even though I did on the top and bottom. I also put the model sideways and made it smaller to see if it would slice it, and sure enough, when it was sideways it did, however, it didn't slice the outside of it this time. :'(

C3.PNG

C2.PNG

c1.PNG

It could be also that cura is ignoring these internal supports because it is 'repairing' the model automatically.

There are some settings i think under special tab or experimental, like fill holes and stich models together (im on my phone, i can't check) some of these settings are maybe called black magic, and some combination may or may not to the trick

sounds like the object may not be fully manifold or, just too skinny as gr5 said, and when placed in one angle or another, it may be able to pick up the sides.

Try to turn on the following (Cura 3x):

• Print thin walls
    • Adjust horizontal expansion slightly (0.1 - 0.2-ish),

Since it is seeing the parts in one orientation or another, I would venture it is the thinness or even single walled (no thickness) effect. Cura can pick up a single wall, but it is dodgy.

Can you post the wing model for examination?

6 hours ago, DidierKlein said:

It could be also that cura is ignoring these internal supports because it is 'repairing' the model automatically.

There are some settings i think under special tab or experimental, like fill holes and stich models together (im on my phone, i can't check) some of these settings are maybe called black magic, and some combination may or may not to the trick

Yes, i'm pretty sure, that we had this topic before - but i don't remember the correct search terms...

If this is a model from 3dlabprint.com, disabling of "Union Overlapping Volumes" should be the way to go (it's in the "Mesh Fixes" group in Cura).

Basically their files are incorrect, but they don't care much...

Here is a related discussion in the forum of 3dlabprint.com.

• Thanks 1

@tinkergnome Ok, thanks that fixed it! BTW, yes it was a 3dLabPrint model.