nzo

Why do you call this section 'Materials' when it's all about Filaments?

Posted · Why do you call this section 'Materials' when it's all about Filaments?

Doesn't make sense.

Posted · Why do you call this section 'Materials' when it's all about Filaments?

Filaments are the materials we use to print with. There are different materials; brands, types and properties to each one that just happens to come in filament form.

Posted (edited) · Why do you call this section 'Materials' when it's all about Filaments?

But they're all filaments, no?

It's ok kman. I'm a curmudgeon until I take my pills. :) I really don't mind what that section is called.

I'll watch Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" again.

Edited by nzo
Making it not serious.

I am not seeing the discrepancy of materials and filaments. What do you see as the difference? We use materials in the form of filaments. yes? no?

I was responding to 'common lingo' as in: when I shop for filaments, they're called filaments on most websites. Like not calling potatoes tubers.

Well, here is where I would talk about other materials as well, such as paints and finishing materials and not just filaments.

Of course, you are both right. Preference is what it's all about.

I am not sure about 'right.' But I am more comfortable talking about materials as a whole here and not talking about them in places like "what have you made?"

They are different. Filament is not a material as such, it is a physical manifestation and will not affect your settings that manage the material for the 3D printer. Material is a broad generic term for things that comprise chemical substances or mixture of substances; they are grouped based on various physical and/or chemical properties. Your material is a thermoplastic and  it is delivered as a filament; the type  of thermo plastic, i.e. its chemical composition and manufacturing attributes, will significantly affect your material properties set to print it correctly.

2 hours ago, yellowshark said:

They are different. Filament is not a material as such, it is a physical manifestation and will not affect your settings that manage the material for the 3D printer. Material is a broad generic term for things that comprise chemical substances or mixture of substances; they are grouped based on various physical and/or chemical properties. Your material is a thermoplastic and  it is delivered as a filament; the type  of thermo plastic, i.e. its chemical composition and manufacturing attributes, will significantly affect your material properties set to print it correctly.

Kinda like all thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs, eh? ;)

Posted (edited) · Why do you call this section 'Materials' when it's all about Filaments?

Oh for sure, at the end of the day importantly WE all know what were are referring to and usually use the correct term, e.g "what bed temp to get nylon 248 to stick" is a chemical composition problem or "anyone  got a design for a filament holder" is a physical problem. Ultimaker are correct in using the word "materials" but had they decided to use "filament" WE would all know what they were talking about - but we would not have had such an interesting discussion over the Xmas period :sunglass:

Edited by yellowshark