Build-Me-Marlin

Daid

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

With all these tips to "upgrade to Marlin!" going around. I thought, the Arduino development environment is quite a hurdle. And I wanted to add pre-build hex files to my Skeinforge_PyPy.

But then I figured, I want to give people options, options to set the baudrate, options to enable/disable the software endstops (which is causing greef) and many more...

So I ended up with...

http://daid.eu/~daid/marlin_build/

A tool to help you build every type of Marlin you want. Packed up in an easy installable way. The zip version comes with "avrdude" and a batch file for windows. You don't need anything else to install the firmware.

It's building my own branch of Marlin,

https://github.com/daid/Marlin

which is up to date with the ErikZalm version, with a few build fixes I encountered. It caches build, so if you choose the same options it's instant ready for download.

It's still experimental, but the ErikZalm branch is proving to be pretty stable. And I've been printing with this version without problems. Note that some combinations of settings might not build. If it's something that should work, let me know.

I hope this helps in pointing people to proper versions of Marlin.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin
    Hey, that is pretty slick!

Any chance of including acceleration and jerk?

PS, curious about the default values you have there as they differ from default Marlin

Only the steps per E is a bit different from the default ErikZalm/Marlin the rest should be the same...

I'll be including a few missing options like acceleration, jerk and max feedrate soon. (That's what you get for thinking "nobody wants to change those options"...)

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

I support whatever the ErikZalm branch supports. Which is commented as a "generic 16x2" LCD and the UltiLCD (which is the advanced control panel with LCD)

Not sure if that's the Deuligne or the Snootlab. Most likely, it's this:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Simple_LCD_Interface_PCB1.5

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Great Daid ;)

Works like a charm ;)

Thanks for that ;)

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Hello Daid,

Very nice feature,

Let me know if you need any changes to Marlin to improve it even more.

Maybe one feature request. Can you make a save and load function. Then it is possible to store your settings if you want to upgrade to a new version.

(Or is this already possible)

Best regards,

Erik van der Zalm

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

The URL you use to generate is the "stored" option. It's not that user friendly, but you can link other people to it and store it for yourself.

The most important changes I needed you have already merged, those where the new Arduino and compiler fixes. Couldn't have done it without your stable beta version!

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Hello Daid,

If I sellect gen6 and 644P it does not compile.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Now it does :) It does generate a shitload of warnings in the Sanguino sources.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Hello Daid,

On IRC some ppl are interested in your marlin build implementation.

They want to make a website for Sprinter.

are you willing to open source it?

Best regards,

Erik van der Zalm

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Not sure why they would want sprinter, which isn't... as good as Marlin.

But no problem. It does require a lot to setup, you would need a server that allows you to run compilers from within php. Which is not something most hosting providers will like :p

I'm running it on my own machine. It's quite a difficult setup (compiled my own avr compiler, made some adjustments in Arduino headers), so if you can tell me which IRC server and channel I'll just jump in there and help out.

The actual php script is only 1000 lines of code or so. And it's not pretty :p but it works.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Hello Daid,

They have the same acceleration now in sprinter experimental. I do not know why they did it.

The question came from josef prusa (nick josefprusa) on #reprap

Ask for josef or Kliment.

Best regards,

Erik van der Zalm

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

The server is FreeNode

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Daid, i am just building my ulitmaker would you recommend your default build to start with ? as i plan on jumping to Marlin straight away, and also will be using Netfabb as well.

One other thing i am not sure about, will i need to add the M92 E14 line to Netgfabb if i use your build of Marlin ?.

Jonathan

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin
    One other thing i am not sure about, will i need to add the M92 E14 line to Netgfabb if i use your build of Marlin ?.

Yes!

Actually, I don't know but having it in there won't hurt - better to be safe and just add it to netfabb until it starts supporting volumetric 5d.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin
    Daid, i am just building my ulitmaker would you recommend your default build to start with ? as i plan on jumping to Marlin straight away, and also will be using Netfabb as well.

Jonathan

You can use my default build to start with, but then I recommend you also use SkeinPyPy (Alpha4 or Beta2). Because using the defaults with ReplicatorG won't work.

I recommend you make sure your machine works with the default firmware that ships with it, and RepG. Just so you're not changing 1000 things at once. And one you know it's working you switch to Marlin.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Daid, could you explain how to upgrade the firmware from the "Build-Me-Marlin", currently the only way i have been able to upgrade any firmware is within RepG 26, i have tried using Arduino 22 which seems to upload fine but printrun does not gain control and then RepG will also not connect.

The good thing is when i reupload via Repg i have a working machine again.

Also i have tried the ErikZalm-Marlin V1 RC2 and this does not work also using Arduino 22.

So i am a little stuck at the moment, as i would like to use "Build-Me-Marlin" and printrun now that my Ultimaker is operational.

Jonathan

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Uh:

-Open the page

-Leave everything at default

-Press [build marlin!]

-Download the zip

-Extract it somewhere

-Run batch file

-Enter correct com port

-Wait a while

-Start printrun

-Configure printrun to 250000 baud

-Connect

If that fails at the last step, then try configuring 115200 baud in the tool, and printrun, not all machines seem to like 250000 baud.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Good it working fine, missed the upload batch file :lol:

Connected to printrun fine, and now doing my first print with the new firmware.

Thanks for your help Daid

Jonathan

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Seems like i spoke to soon, it seems the limit switches are disabled with the firmware, i was using printrun to set the Z level, and the X & Y

did not stop when the limit switch's clicked, and also Z did not work at the start of a 2nd print and etched a track into the plastic plate and tape.

Also with Netfabb generated Gcode i just get printrun showing a repeating T option in the box on the righthand side and nothing prints, i can get prints with Skeinpypy. But not good prints (but that is for the skeinpypy thread).

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin
    Seems like i spoke to soon, it seems the limit switches are disabled with the firmware, i was using printrun to set the Z level, and the X & Y

did not stop when the limit switch's clicked, and also Z did not work at the start of a 2nd print and etched a track into the plastic plate and tape.

The "use endstops only for homing" option does that. It's under "Software - Basic"

Also with Netfabb generated Gcode i just get printrun showing a repeating T option in the box on the righthand side and nothing prints, i can get prints with Skeinpypy. But not good prints (but that is for the skeinpypy thread).
    That's because NetFabb uses 3x M109, so it waits 3x30 seconds. Adjust the "M109 settings" and set the "Wait time" to 3 seconds. Then it will wait 9 seconds after heating up.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin

Downloaded the firmware with the two options as your post above, and these

are now working fine :)

Final issue i have is that the extrude wheels spins very quick and is grinding the

filamnet when using the firmware with netfabb and print run.

Would this down to needing the M92 E14 command in the gcode header for Netfabb, as

i removed it thinking it was only required for Repg26.

Posted · Build-Me-Marlin
    Downloaded the firmware with the two options as your post above, and these

are now working fine :)

Final issue i have is that the extrude wheels spins very quick and is grinding the

filamnet when using the firmware with netfabb and print run.

Would this down to needing the M92 E14 command in the gcode header for Netfabb, as

i removed it thinking it was only required for Repg26.

Yep