unequal brim thickness

diederik

Posted · unequal brim thickness

Hi all

I am relatively new to 3D printing and I have an Ultimaker 3 that I can use for some weeks. 

I have already encountered (and solved) a dozen problems, but I noticed that the brim (or first layer(s)) on the back left of the bed are very very very thin, much thinner than on the rest of the bed. 

I attached a picture to illustrate it. The pictures is far from superb, but you can see the brim having a much lighter color (caution: the back of the bed is on the picture at the left side).

It is not so much of a problem till now, the rest of the print is okay. But maybe when I will need to print a larger object, it might become an issue. 

Is this because of the bed not completely level ? 

However, before printing this object, I ran the auto-level function....

If this would be the result because of a nonperfect bed-level, is it because this part is too high or too low (I would say too high?)? 

IMG_20180101_220212143.jpg

wow!  We have a didierk and now a deiderik both from Belgium.  Actually didierk is now didierKlein.

Anyway I like my brim that thin.  It means the part will stick VERY WELL! :)

But you can just turn the rear screw 1/4 turn clockwise to pull the rear of the bed down a little bit.  I often adjust the 3 screws while the brim or skirt is printing on the bottom layer.

I don't like the auto level for many reasons.  So I recommend disabling that.  Also you should be aware that the glass probably isn't flat but the autolevel assumes it is and does a best fit plane.  Hopefully a future version of the firmware will do a more complicated transformation to compensate for a more complicated glass surface.  Anyway it may be that the best fit involves the rear center being a bit high as in your photo but the rear corners being a bit low (which is very common as typically the glass is thicker in the very center).

Yes your analysis is right and course @gr5 's comments are right too, as one would suspect. But if it were me I might be inclined to turn the front two screws 1/4 turn anticlockwise to bring the front of the bed up to meet the rear. Like gr5 I too like to have the brim that thin, especially on parts with a large surface area, to ensure it sticks securely to the bed. Anyway whatever you do just remember what that part of the brim looks like now, then if you have adhesion problems in the future try adjusting the distance so the brim looks like it does at the rear now.

• Like 1

Hi

1) Are the users didierk or deiderik connected to my account ? I might have registered before ... I don't remember. If so, those accounts may be deleted.

2) 

Anyway I like my brim that thin.  It means the part will stick VERY WELL!

Can you explain this ? Do thinner brims stick better ? 

Kind regards

Diederik

1 hour ago, diederik said:

Can you explain this ? Do thinner brims stick better ? 

Kind regards

Diederik

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

Actually didierk is now didierKlein.

Thinner brim means it got squished onto the plate better thus giving better adherence. Thick brim just means it is sort of just sitting on the glass and not really pressed onto it well.

1 hour ago, diederik said:

1) Are the users didierk or deiderik connected to my account ? I might have registered before ... I don't remember. If so, those accounts may be deleted.

There is a moderator on these forums, Didier Klein.  He lives in Belgium and runs a store that sells Ultimakers and parts for Ultimakers.  I have met him in person on a trip to the Netherlands.  He is a nice person.  We text through the internet pretty much every day.

Hey, @DidierKlein - say bonjour to @diederik. :)

This is a link to his store:

http://www.ideato3d.be/product-category/3dprinters/

Hello :sunglass:

Sorry not a lot of time for the forum at the moment but if i can help you can contact me no problem