Cancel Operation

kcel

Posted · Cancel Operation

Hi,

I just purchased a UM3 Extended.  Early days but so far I'm pretty impressed.  However, there is one issue I'm finding:

When you start an operation, like loading material, there is no way to cancel the operation except for turning off the printer.

I made the mistake of mounting two rolls of filament to the spool holder and then tried to load one of the extruders and the RFC reported 'too many new spools detected'.  I reviewed the documentation and didn't realize your meant to load one at a time.  I removed the filament intended for Extruder 1, but I was unable to escape from loading Material 1.  So I needed to turn off the printer.

May I suggest that every menu option be given a 'Cancel' option?  

If I am missing something and there is a way to cancel that I've not noticed, please let me know.

Cheers!

Kevin

There's no cancel I think because there is a complicated heat up/cool down procedure to avoid problems where you get bits of plastic in the bowden jamming up and stuff (this is the summary version - don't want to go into details).  Well better explanation: once filament has melted in the core there is a special cool down and you dont' want to cut power until the core drops to 180C and then the feeder pulls out some of the filament.  At *that* point it's okay to cancel stuff.

Anyway I removed my RFC readers because half my filament isn't UM brand anyway.  Also print this wedgebot:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/wedgebot-for-ultimaker2

And use that to insert and remove filaments instead of the silly menu system.  The wedgebot is THE MOST USEFUL thing I have printed for the UM3.  Saves a lot of finger strain.  And it snaps perfectly over the edge of the printer for storage.

Thanks for the wedge-bot, seems like a great idea.

I agree cancelling at the wrong time can lead to jams etc. but there certain points an escape route could be placed.  However, I know better now so am less likely to get caught.

Cheers!

On 4.1.2018 at 6:19 PM, gr5 said:

There's no cancel I think because there is a complicated heat up/cool down procedure to avoid problems where you get bits of plastic in the bowden jamming up and stuff (this is the summary version - don't want to go into details).  Well better explanation: once filament has melted in the core there is a special cool down and you dont' want to cut power until the core drops to 180C and then the feeder pulls out some of the filament.  At *that* point it's okay to cancel stuff.

I think especially in this case it is important to have a 'Cancel' option, which will properly cancel the loading procedure. Otherwise you provoke a power cycle :/  

Fun fact I didn't really bother me until yesterday as I was talking about it with a colleague. 

We were talking about how to display what print core combination is loaded (AA/BB; BB/AA; AA/AA) so everyone can quickly see which filament can be loaded. 

Use case: A BB core is loaded and you don't notice it while loading PLA for example. You are forced to complete the whole loading procedure and do it again. Yes you don't need to insert filament, but it still takes time and nobody really likes to spend more time than necessary. 

My suggestion would be to include a cancel button as well as a print core change button.