How to Control Drag Line?

mike-truly

Posted · How to Control Drag Line?

UM2+/Latest Cura

At the beginning of my prints, extrusion starts and creates the blob in the front left corner.  Then as the print head begins to move, rather than beginning the print closest to the blob, the 'drag line' will be drug all the way across to some other area of the print to begin printing.  Later printing of the print will print across/over this drag line and this can cause numerous problems... possibly even causing the print to have to be aborted.  (In addition, the start of the drag line is elevated on the blob (and not on the print bed) so the drag line is not on the bed itself and is possibly hit by the nozzle as it tries to pass, thus pulling on the drag line and pulling on the print).

Is there a way to have the drag line go from the blob to the nearest point of the print to begin printing and not have it cross the print area?

Thanks!

Mike

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · How to Control Drag Line?

My first point would be that when you print you should use either a brim or a skirt; that will allow the extruder pressure and laying of the line to settle before you start printing your model.

My 2nd point would be , sure I suffer from that too (not al the time:)) but because of point 1. it never causes me a problem! Fine tuning your nozzle to bed distance will remove the problem in the first place. i.e your nozzle needs to a bit closer to the bed

Edited by yellowshark

Posted · How to Control Drag Line?

Thanks for the ideas!

I almost always use a brim or a skirt.  The problem is occuring with a brim... see the attached image:

drag_line_problem_01_small.thumb.jpg.c678f5c94de9a56d219d57f438905ef1.jpg

(This is a full-size bed print and I aborted it because the brim was lifting before the first layer was complete... I'm working on the adhesion problem currently for this print).

This shows the issue of the drag line.  You can see how the drag line was pulled all the way to the other side of the print before beginning printing.  Here is a view showing the drag line in the layer view:

drag_line_problem_02_small.thumb.jpg.bc65067f97f4d54d7036434835b5f5a5.jpg

I would have wanted it to pull the line to one of the nearest areas of the print so as not to have the drag line within the interior of the print area.

Is there a setting or method for telling Cura where you want the print start point to be?

Thanks again.

Mike