Material hotend temp not changing

Atalon

Posted · Material hotend temp not changing

I see that when changing materials the hotend temps (default printing temp) is not updating.  Also I see there is no link icon like the build plate temp if that is an indicator of something.

2018-01-06 15_21_41-Ultimaker Cura.png

So I'm using cura 3.1 right now and it's on pla and temp 200C for um3.  I switch to ABS and it asks if I want to "keep or discard" the changes.  If you select "keep" and if you had set the temp manually then it will keep the 200C as is and not change it.  Maybe that's your issue?  You click "keep"?  But if I select "discard" it changes the temperature to 230C.

I don't see any bugs.

What happens for me is I have it set to a PETG material I created with the temps I use. It didn't change the temp to what I set so I change the temps manually. When I switch to a PLA material I also created it does ask if I want to keep or discard the changes that I set manually that didn't change last time I switched materials. I click discard and it changes to the PLA settings. Seems like what you describe. Then I immediately change back to the PETG material without making any manual changes and while the build plate temp changes the printer temps don't change and it doesn't ask to keep or discard any changes.

2018-01-07 20_33_59-Ultimaker Cura.png

Any suggestions for this or is it a bug?

What you set in the sidebar, always trumps what is set in the material. The same goes for what is set in a profile. If the profile sets the temperature to 210, then that is what will be used over what you set in the material.

• Thanks 1

I guess that means it's a feature  ;)

Then why even have material settings if they never change what is on the sidebar?  That seems like a lot of wasted work on both the programmer and the user if changing materials doesn't change the temp to the preferred setting.  This also doesn't sound correct since it will change the print bed temp just not the hot end temp. What am I missing here?

• Like 2

Or how do I remove the hotend temp from the profile so it will use the material temp instead?

1 hour ago, Atalon said:

Then why even have material settings if they never change what is on the sidebar?

That is not what I said. If there is no Printing Temperature set in the profile, then the temperature from the materials pane should be used.

1 hour ago, Atalon said:

it will change the print bed temp just not the hot end temp. What am I missing here?

Probably because there is a hot end temperature in the profile, but not a bed temperature.

1 hour ago, Atalon said:

Or how do I remove the hotend temp from the profile so it will use the material temp instead?

Unfortunately once a setting is in a profile there is no easy way to get it out (other than switching to another profile that does not have a temperature in it). That is an oversight in Cura, and I hope I have time to fix it in a future version.

If you want to keep your profile and only want to remove the temperature from it, you have to go into the configuration folder and edit the ini profile file (there is probably a line that says "material_print_temperature = 210"). That's not a pretty method, but the only method I have.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2018 at 12:13 AM, ahoeben said:

That is not what I said. If there is no Printing Temperature set in the profile, then the temperature from the materials pane should be used.

Probably because there is a hot end temperature in the profile, but not a bed temperature.

Unfortunately once a setting is in a profile there is no easy way to get it out (other than switching to another profile that does not have a temperature in it). That is an oversight in Cura, and I hope I have time to fix it in a future version.

If you want to keep your profile and only want to remove the temperature from it, you have to go into the configuration folder and edit the ini profile file (there is probably a line that says "material_print_temperature = 210"). That's not a pretty method, but the only method I have.

This should be considered a bug.  If I change materials and have gone to the trouble of entering temperatures for my materials, of course I want it to use the temperature I set for each different material.  I definitely don't want to be printing PETG at 200C which is what nearly happened, and why I'm searching for answers right now.

• Like 1

So its now 6 months later... Cura 4.1 is released to the public... And I don't see this fixed.

Either the material settings should override other settings, or there needs to be a way to remove temp from the profile.

How about this... That little button _next to_ each setting value... The one for calculated or manually set... How about if that cycled through instead of toggled....   Manual, calculated, profile, material value

Posted (edited) · Material hotend temp not changing

I think the ambassador ahoeben DID NOT UNDERSTAND the question. Let's be clear here.

Let's say I have a certain bed temp (65) set in the Cura Print Settings and I change the material  by selecting a material profile. This profile contains as well a certain bed temperature (60). As you can see there is a difference. I was expecting to be asked: You have a different temperature in the material profile, Do you want to discard or Keep the changes. It does not ask me anything about the bed temperature, although it is different than in the Settings, and obviously it does not change the bed temperature in the settings when I chose the new profile and select Discard Changes. It is a bug for sure, even in 4.8

Edited by titust1

So the GUI is confusing.  When it gives you the "keep" "discard" option I thought "keep" was going to save something to the hard drive.  It doesn't.

There's the profile, and then there's the changes you make to the profile like the temperature change.

When you select a new profile it shows all the changes you made (like temperature) and says "discard or keep changes".  If you choose "keep" then it loads the new profile but with your changes on top so your 65C is still visible instead of 60C.  If you choose "discard" then you get the profile fresh with your changes gone.

Or maybe you have the issue that ahoeben was talking about where the print profile trumps the material profile.

When I saw this behaviour it was after I had manually typed a new temperature into the pane on the side of the window at some point in time.  But I also see the symbol seen in my screenshot beside it, which if I click it resets to whatever is in the profile, and after that it also starts changing whenever I switch profiles.  It should be noted that this scenario NEVER involves Cura popping up the Keep/Discard dialog.  It happily keeps the manually typed in 200 C no matter how many times I switch profiles UNLESS I hit that little symbol to the left of the entry box.  ONLY then does it start asking me to Keep/Discard when I switch profiles.  Sure seems like a bug to me.

Cura temp.png

The issue is still present in v5.1.1

I believe I found a solution. The issue comes from the default config for the respective filament.

For instance, in the following file:

c:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.1.1\share\cura\resources\quality\twotrees\pla\two_trees_0.4_PLA_standard.inst.cfg

you need to remove the values for the temperature (delete the following lines):

material_bed_temperature = 60
    material_print_temperature_layer_0 = 195
    material_print_temperature = 190

That solves the issue for PLA. 

You will need to do the same for the other filaments in the respective Printer/nozzle configuration, i.e. file.