Cura 3.1 is SO slow (GUI and especially layer preview)

hoegge

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.1 is SO slow (GUI and especially layer preview)
On 1/8/2018 at 2:04 AM, nallath said:

Rotation is around a point in space. By default it's the last object you selected. I personally dislike the "normal" cad program style of doing it, especially for 3D printing. A normal cad program gives you a "free cam" because you tend to work with more objects and want to view them in very specific angles.

I'd like to point out that the programs that use the "normal" style of viewing and navigation are the ones we are using in the moments before we need to use Cura and sometimes need to go back and forth between modeling and slicing programs in short intervals but for long periods. It is a pain to go back and forth between viewing modes minute to minute.  Training our brains to make the strange switch repeatedly shouldn't necessary to avoid frequent white screens just after a painfully slow loading of Cura or a layer view. Maybe there could be some user options available to help Cura fit in better to the 3d design and print work flow. At least for me, those specific angles are important in Cura too. 

Why wouldn't Cura be as easy to use alongside the design programs we build our 3d prints in as is humanly possible? 

Also, very glad to hear layer view should be improving. It is currently unbearable at times and always unpleasant. 

Edited by Al_H
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted · Cura 3.1 is SO slow (GUI and especially layer preview)

@Al_H I fully agree with you and it makes me wonder if anybody at the Cura team really use Cura for anything practical with frequent CAD - Print iterations and placing and optimizing prints. At the moment it is such a pain. If the 3D navigation was made intuitive and fast, the GUI would update like any other program, the layer preview would be as fast as all others and the startup would take 5 instead of 20 seconds, first layer wasn't ruined by random lines due to lack of retraction, and you could tweak, add and remove support locally, Cura  would be simply great. It almost sounds like I should be using Slice3r PE instead - but hey - I can't - I bought a UM3E which, as far as I know, only works with Cura.

34 minutes ago, alexbln01 said:

Try simplify3d ?

Yes - I actually have S3D v4 but stopped using it a while back since it has other issues (worse slicing than cura, worse supports, poor GUI and settings management, they don't fix old bugs and don't really improve the program. Cura evolves and has nice feature - is a living product - biggest issue at the moment is the huge speed issue that might make me use S3D again). So shifted back to Cura and then to Slic3r PE, which really does well. Didn't think S3D supported UM3 but just today found out it does. It works fast and you can save the factory files, which is very nice. The downside is then you can't send to UM3 over network but have to use USB or Thumb-drive. Seems to be no good solution for a hassle free workflow with UM3

• 1 month later...

Will we ever get any real improvements on this speed issue? Cura is such a pain to use in a workflow with this crawling speed.

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.1 is SO slow (GUI and especially layer preview)

To anyone in this thread, please install the Cura 3.3 Beta. If there are still problems for you there, share some logs, video's or anything substantial that we can use to debug with.

Edited by ChrisTerBeke
    Fixed typo.

Maybe a bit faster but still way too slow

On 4/9/2018 at 9:18 PM, ctbeke said:

If there are still problems for you there, share some logs, video's or anything substantial that we can use to debug with.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:48 PM, ctbeke said:

There is - it might be marginally faster but still all to slow in layer preview. What logs / things do you need? I have posted videos and measurements before without any real feedback. What do you need?

Just the default Cura logs we're always asking for. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Cura-Preferences-and-Settings-Locations

Hello everybody!
    I have the same problem:
    - Cura 3.1 most of the time is extremely slow.
    - start up takes around a minute and there is a delay of 5-20 s after pressing any button, even if no model is loaded.
    - most of the time it has 13% processor usage which is 1 of 8 threads on my Intel I7 2600
    - same problem on to different PCs
    - connection via company network (cable) with static IP

- Additional problem: camera view ("Monitor") is working only rarely, upload to UM3 Extended sometimes takes one minute or more.

- updated Intel Graphics HD drivers on my Dell Optiplex 790, no result
    - allowed Cura in Windows firewall, no result

- installed Cura 3.3 Beta without Arduino Drivers and Studio: startup is fast now, responsiveness is much better, but still lacks

1-2 seconds after any button pressed. Profiles are gone (Beta?), automatic material detection fails in cura

My Cura.log ("Help"->"Show Configurations Folder") is 155 MB. It contains the word "Error" 807147 times. Should we think about it?
    I don't want to puplish it here, but if "Team Ultimaker" wants to have it, contact me.

Many errors are like the following. (Printer IP is not 127...!!)
    2018-01-08 14:02:24,766 - DEBUG - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkPrinterOutputDevice._onFinished [1035]: A reply from http://127.0.0.1/api/v1/printer did not have status code.
    2018-01-08 14:02:24,766 - ERROR - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkClusterPrinterOutputDevice._onFinished [680]: After requesting [http://127.0.0.1/api/v1/printer] we got a network error [1]. Not processing anything...
    2018-01-08 14:02:24,767 - DEBUG - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkPrinterOutputDevice._onFinished [1035]: A reply from http://127.0.0.1/api/v1/print_job did not have status code.
    2018-01-08 14:02:24,767 - ERROR - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkClusterPrinterOutputDevice._onFinished [680]: After requesting [http://127.0.0.1/api/v1/print_job] we got a network error [1]. Not processing anything...
    2018-01-08 14:02:24,767 - DEBUG - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkPrinterOutputDevice._onFinished [1035]: A reply from http://127.0.0.1/api/v1/printer did not have status code.
    2018-01-08 14:02:24,768 - ERROR - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkClusterPrinterOutputDevice._onFinished [680]: After requesting [http://127.0.0.1/api/v1/printer] we got a network error [1]. Not processing anything...
    2018-01-08 14:02:24,768 - DEBUG - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkPrinterOutputDevice._onFinished [1035]: A reply from http://127.0.0.1/api/v1/print_job did not have status code.

Please help! Thank You!

New hints:

The "Monitor"-tab in Cura is somehow greyed out and there is no camera view available for most of the time. So I pressed "View

Printers" which shows up a browser window with available printers. The first one had the network name of my printer and all the

correct material parameters BUT the IP adress 127.0.0.1. Below is shown another printer with the same name and the correct IP

adress of my real one. Here I pressed the button "add to group" (or similar) which gave me an error message, that the printer

could not be added because it did not respond or so, maybe because it was currently printing. BUT afterwards the first one

changed its IP to the correct one. The printer with 127... disapeared. Now the camera view works fine in browser but still not

in Cura. However, using "myIP":MyPort_/_?action=stream works also fine but produces an error message every hour or so.

I think there is a network related issue.