G10 / G11 retraction is not generated

HugoW

Posted · G10 / G11 retraction is not generated

Hi,

I use Cura 2.3.1 as I have an older PC, but it works. Unfortunately, the retraction does not seem to work. I run Smoothieware and I read Cura should add G10 commands to retract, and G11 to extend again, but there are no such codes in the files Cura generats. And the printer obviously does not retract, I get some rather hairy prints.

Please advise,

Cheers,

Hugo

These are the settings I have:

full

I am wondering whether SmoothieWare standard settings and the Cura settings might interfere or something like that.

Hugo

16 minutes ago, HugoW said:

These are the settings I have

What about the retraction speed? Does it match the values that are usually used for your printer?

Does it have a bowden setup? I ask, because a retraction distance of 6.5mm is quite long for 1.75mm filaments.

Same question - does it match the values that are usual for your printer?

I've just added retraction speed from the settings list, it defaults to 25mm/s. OK with me. I have no usual figures, I have a homemade CoreXY printer with the extruder on the XY carriage pressing the filament straight into the hotend. But I don't see the motor retrackting, either. I put an excentric dot on the axle so I can see it move. It paused during travel, it does not reverse a bit (should reverse about 1/4 turn with these settings, that should be visable).

While googling I found this older topic:

https://github.com/daid/LegacyCura/issues/1212

It tells me G10 and G11 are not always generated for retraction. Two simple questions;

How does Cura retract and "un-retract" if it does not use G10/G11? And why doesn't my printer oblige?

I'll go mess about with this g-code flavor, what ever that may be...

Cheers,

Hugo

11 hours ago, HugoW said:

How does Cura retract and "un-retract" if it does not use G10/G11?

Cura generates move instructions for the e axis (G1) with the specified distance and speed. Like any other move.

Easy to find in the generated gcode of you search for lines that only move the e axis, like "G1 E12.546 F1500",

or simply for "F1500" (1500 mm/min == 25 mm/s).

If those lines are there, your printer ignores them for some reason.

Does the "volumetric trick" from your linked topic still work?

Smoothieware seems to be able to use volumetric e values, so this would probably the easiest way to go?

Posted (edited) · G10 / G11 retraction is not generated

I've not done much research today, just bought a new house and showed it to the kids. Anyway, I looked for the g-code flavour setting and found it as one of the basic machine settings. It was set at 'RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)'. That makes sense, as when I started this project a while ago I ran a RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin on it. I remember making that choice, now. It also has a setting 'UltiGCode', probably an Ultimaker special. And last but not least 'Repetier'.

I sliced the same file three times and only with the 'UltiGCode' settings I got G10 and G11 codes, and I found them in logical places (I can read G-codes fairly easy, I learned to write them in the beginning of the CNC era). I just wonder why using the regular control of the extruder to retract does not work on my machine, I find F1500 in multiple places and the values seem logical. For instance this part, at start-up:

G1 F1500 E-6.5
    G0 F5400 X83.718 Y112.914 Z.299
    ;TYPE:SKIRT
    G1 F1500 E0

And away she goes.

That basically is at start-up to avoid oozing;

Retract 6.5mm

Move to start position

; start with laying down the skirt to prime the nozzle

Un-retract (English?!?) again

And away she goes.

But that part seems to be blocked by my controller somewhere, maybe it is a feature in Smoothieware where I should chose one method for retraction, or the other. But I haven't found out where and how, yet. I prefer the normal control of the extruder over using specials like the G10/G11 codes.

Hugo

Edited by HugoW