Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

As I understand, the larger the curvature on an object, the thinner the selected layer height gets with adaptive layer height.

Then I would expect the green part at the side openings of the 3DBenchy in the following picture to go up a bit further, no? Or is that some bridging feature?

 

Cura32_adaptivelayer_3dbenchy.thumb.jpg.73e1da9150f595a0c71ac207a79679bf.jpg

 

The same effect can be seen in the OP picture. Would be nice to learn a bit more how the algorithm works.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • Replies 93
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    What, nothing about the improvements to manual supports and adjustment meshes?   It is now much easier to load objects and mark them to be printed as supports, which is useful if Cura does n

    A new Ultimaker Cura is just lurking around the corner and we can’t wait to share what new features it will hold. Through this forum post I would like to share my most favorite new features with you a

    How about ditching the perspective view and switching to an axonometric projection, or at least allowing the users to select one or the other?  Engineering CAD is rarely, if ever, done in a perspectiv

    Posted Images

    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    2 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

    As I understand, the larger the curvature on an object, the thinner the selected layer height gets with adaptive layer height.

    Then I would expect the green part at the side openings of the 3DBenchy in the following picture to go up a bit further, no? Or is that some bridging feature?

     

    Cura32_adaptivelayer_3dbenchy.thumb.jpg.73e1da9150f595a0c71ac207a79679bf.jpg

    The term "curvature" is not well-defined, so that is not the case. A large curvature could be a large radius. What you want is to have thinner layers when you have a surface with is very close to but not horizontal. That is it has a small angle (compared to horizontal). To get that defined you need thinner layers. You can see you get blue areas (thin layers) when you have features with near-horizontal angles. On the lower part of the benchy it is the top surface of the hull that induce thin layers then at the upper part of the door it is green because we only have the "vertical" part of the house there and then it becomes blue again when we approach the near horizontal part of the door opening and so on.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    Got it. Just got an idea for the (far?) future. The uppermost part of the hull induces small layers on the cabin as well of course. The same effect might occur if you have multiple objects on your build plate. So the idea is that one could e.g. print "more vertical" parts at a multiple layer height compared to "more horizontal" parts. But that requires an algorithm which can separate an object into connected and not connected parts.

    edit: btw. I was confused as I somehow expected the better layer quality to be on the right of the scale (no specific reason for that). But as the scale is about the absolute layer height, confusion has gone.

    Edited by Dim3nsioneer
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    1 hour ago, hoegge said:

    Does not help much, since there is no explanation there

     

    You are looking for an explanation. I just pointed to an example of how tweaking a simple number can change its affect. If a visual example is not helpful to you at all, then my apologies.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    If we are to report problems here, then I have a new one. There is nothing in the monitoring tab after I start a print. Using the app I can see the video feed so the printer API is working.

     

    5a6b393b9ea5e_ScreenShot2018-01-26at15_11_58.thumb.png.28edb808b227e21cd3cdf7761380de4d.png

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    19 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

    You are looking for an explanation. I just pointed to an example of how tweaking a simple number can change its affect. If a visual example is not helpful to you at all, then my apologies.

    No need for apologies, thanks for trying to help. I was looking for an accurate definition of what the number is, not so much what tweaking it does. Thanks.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    On 1/26/2018 at 3:20 PM, Nicolinux said:

    If we are to report problems here, then I have a new one. There is nothing in the monitoring tab after I start a print. Using the app I can see the video feed so the printer API is working.

     

     

    Could you include a screenshot where we can actually see what is going on? The text onscreen could have some hints to what is happening. Also logs... (but you knew that)

     

    Edit: wait, is it the forum that scales the images down?

    Edited by ahoeben
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    On 1/24/2018 at 3:30 PM, kmanstudios said:

    I find the newly setup selection of everything clicked when you first click on an input field annoying.

    (...)

    But, the new way is counter to every other program I can think of and requires a lot of retraining just for one function in just one program

     

    It was requested by someone, so I implemented it, and then the pull request was tested and accepted. It was especially meant to select text when tabbing through fields, I guess it is somewhat disruptive to you because it also selects all text when you click in a control. I must say that even the address- and search-bar in the browser I use to type this answer behave the same way as the fields in the sidebar now behaves. But the change is easy to revert if more people feel strongly about it.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

     

    10 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

     

    It was requested by someone, so I implemented it, and then the pull request was tested and accepted. It was especially meant to select text when tabbing through fields, I guess it is somewhat disruptive to you because it also selects all text when you click in a control. I must say that even the address- and search-bar in the browser I use to type this answer behave the same way as the fields in the sidebar now behaves. But the change is easy to revert if more people feel strongly about it.

    Yeah, I get that. But when you are just trying to select one numeral, say, to change 0.24 to 0.54 is a pain. Like I said, old man, new tricks, retraining.......uggghhhhhh...LOL

     

    Edit: Oh, it should at least be consistent across all fields. Currently it is not. The input fields for translate and scale do not behave the same way. And, it would be nice to be able to input direct rotational values as well in either local x, y, z or world x, y, z. Preferably both.

    Edited by kmanstudios
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    6 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

     

    Yeah, I get that. But when you are just trying to select one numeral, say, to change 0.24 to 0.54 is a pain. Like I said, old man, new tricks, retraining.......uggghhhhhh...LOL

     

    I have made a suggested change to the behavior here:

    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/3196

    With that change the text only gets selected when tabbing through fields, but not when clicking in a field. I don't know if it will be reviewed and merged in time for the final release of 3.2

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    25 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

     

    I have made a suggested change to the behavior here:

    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/3196

    With that change the text only gets selected when tabbing through fields, but not when clicking in a field. I don't know if it will be reviewed and merged in time for the final release of 3.2

    That is actually behaviour I am used to. Pretty standard as far as I am aware. :):+1:

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    On 1/23/2018 at 10:37 PM, Skippy7 said:

     

    Noticed the same thing, it also only effects the dark theme

     

    Okay wondered that, having the same issue 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    Did anyone already try the new 'multiple buildplate' feature? You can enable/disable it in the 'preferences', love to hear some feedback!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    8 minutes ago, Msuurmond said:

    Did anyone already try the new 'multiple buildplate' feature? You can enable/disable it in the 'preferences', love to hear some feedback!

     

    I like the concept of it even for the UM2 been able to see a list of files you have on the build plate is very handy.

     

    Here is some feedback

    1. When you add a second stl to the build plate and right click new built plate, and they have sliced the first build plate says 0 hours 0 minutes for print time.
    2. Arrange to all build plates could be worded better as from what I can tell it just merges all the plates to one.
    3. Save the build plates with a Cura project if I make a set of build plates for a bunch of batch jobs but want to edit a setting or two every once and awhile would be nice to just open a cura project that brings me back to where I left off.
    4. Would be nice if the build plate menu remembered if it was expanded to see the files really annoying having to click that every time I open Cura.

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    6 hours ago, Msuurmond said:

    Did anyone already try the new 'multiple buildplate' feature? You can enable/disable it in the 'preferences', love to hear some feedback!

     

    Yes, I tried with a current project, all the parts dont fit on one buildplate, so I got to try adding buildplates and this was pretty neat :)

    But I wish when saving the project, it maintains the buildplates as they are set up, when I save a project with 3 buildplates, and quit Cura, when I open the project again, only 1 buildplate is

    loaded, the other models and the other buildplates holding them are gone.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    The layer view has definitely slowed down a bit.Still leaks memory too.......

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    Interesting. It should be faster, because backface culling was enabled (less work for the GPU)

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

    Interesting. It should be faster, because backface culling was enabled (less work for the GPU)

    The slow rendering is not a GPU problem. In all other programs the same or more advanced graphics can be rendered without any slow downs. Actually, there should be no work for the CPU as soon as the model has been loaded by the GPU after which all affine transformations and drawing is done by that. Are you processing the data in Python for every frame - then it’s not so strange it is super slow.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    On 26/01/2018 at 6:34 PM, ahoeben said:

     

    Could you include a screenshot where we can actually see what is going on? The text onscreen could have some hints to what is happening. Also logs... (but you knew that)

     

    Edit: wait, is it the forum that scales the images down?

     

    No idea, I dragged the screenshot of the entire Cura window in the reply field. I will reproduce the problem and attach the Cura log here.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    @hoegge and @kmanstudios, what GPU do you have? We got some similar reports on github this weekend, and I noticed that both of those reported an AMD GPU. There could be a specific issue between how Cura does things and AMD drivers. I'm just trying to get to the root of the issue.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    My graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce  GTX 1080. System is Win 8.1, 32 GB ram Intel i7-6700K. Drivers are up to date.

    Edited by kmanstudios
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    2 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

    My graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce  GTX 1080. System is Win 8.1, 32 GB ram Intel i7-6700K. Drivers are up to date.

    Nice rig ;) but why win8.1 ??? why?? worst windows in history!

    cheers

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

    Because it is still supported and I am not keen on Microsquash taking over my updates and such. I do not like the idea of rebooting in the middle of a 30 hour animation render and having it fubar my files doing so. It actually runs just fine. 8.0 sucked, but have no issues with 8.1. My other desktop has the same configuration but it is Win 10.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta
    1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

    @hoegge and @kmanstudios, what GPU do you have? We got some similar reports on github this weekend, and I noticed that both of those reported an AMD GPU. There could be a specific issue between how Cura does things and AMD drivers. I'm just trying to get to the root of the issue.

    I have NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...