Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

Hi,

Don't know if it's a bug or a feature, but i used the anti overhang mesh thing (cool stuff to have the direct access and different rendering in normal view).

What happened is that i had two cubes for anti overhang mesh, and in layer view i noticed that some parts were still detected as overhangs. It turns out that if two overhang meshes that overlap seem to cancel the effect (overhangs are still there).

Also i tried the last setting (the mesh to change the extruder or settings) and it didn't allow directly to put the mesh above the buildplate (anti overhang was possible) maybe it's worth adding that possibility there too?

And lastly, would it make sense to automatically show infill settings when you select infill mesh?

On 1/23/2018 at 12:45 PM, megablue said:

I am unable to launch 3.2 beta at all.

this is what i am getting

ldURC72.png

I am having the same problem BUT the folder he was told to delete in APPDATA doesn't exist on my machine.

I have appdata/local/cura in which are

image.thumb.png.8ad32fe26c8277071bd6d79cea620212.png

I have versions 15. 2.6, 2.7 and 3.1 installed and working but when trying to launch 3.2 I get the same ' out of range NoneType' error shown in this original post.

11 hours ago, Barry37 said:

Will the stable version of Cura 3.2 run on Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite? For the beta version, the computer says No.

Can you describe what goes wrong? Or post a screenshot?

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Beta

Speaking of graphic cards: I have a wish for the Cura devs. While all the new views in Cura are pretty cool they often require an update to the newest version of the graphics drivers. This is sometimes an issue in companies (aka UM's primary customers) where drivers are only updated after IT services tested them with all the software used in the company which can take a while. My wish: implement only graphic features and code which run with graphic drivers half a year old.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
    • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Speaking of graphic cards: I have a wish for the Cura devs. While all the new views in Cura are pretty cool they often require an update to the newest version of the graphics drivers. This is sometimes an issue in companies (aka UM's primary customers) where drivers are only updated after IT services tested them with all the software used in the company which can take a while. My wish: implement only graphic features and code which run with graphic drivers half a year old.

+1

8 hours ago, Brian Groves said:

I am having the same problem BUT the folder he was told to delete in APPDATA doesn't exist on my machine.

I have appdata/local/cura in which are

You are looking at the wrong folder. You should be looking at the appdata/roaming/cura folder.

Having said that, this is just a quick fix to get things working. Cura 3.2 should really be working without having to reset your settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

My wish: implement only graphic features and code which run with graphic drivers half a year old.

The layerview in Cura works best with GPUs that support OpenGL 4.1. OpenGL 4.1 is a standard that was launched in juli 2010. Cura still works with GPUs that do not support this, down to OpenGL 2.0 (all the way back in september 2004). Cura does not use any features that are newer than that (almost 8 years old)!

When you get the advise to update your drivers, then that is because of (known or unknown) bugs in older driver versions. Yes, other developers also have bugs in their software too. A recent example is when all Intel drivers released in a period of 2017 started to render the interface in Cura about 20 pixels to the upper left corner. Not just in Cura, but also eg in MeshMixer. This was fixed about a month or so later with another driver update. That's when we say "please update your driver".

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

2 hours ago, Msuurmond said:

Can you describe what goes wrong? Or post a screenshot?

The App icon has the Mac "white circle/diagonal" line symbol on it and when attempting to run, the popup in the 1st screen shot appears.

The App doesn't start at all.

Second screenshot is the File Info with the white symbol (dates in this are Cura's own, as it was only installed yesterday).

My Mac Mini is too old to upgrade beyond Yosemite.

CuraPopUp.png

CuraFileInfo.png

I am having a devil of a time with saving a file. It seems to be one file that is giving me troubles. It did save properly before. I moved a couple of things and it downhill from there. I am still running through a series of tests to see what it may be.

So far, I have rebooted the machine as Cura sucks memory like a hoover. Updated my video drivers (Not for this, but because I got a notification that there were new drivers from NVidia), Saved the logs. Cleared the config folder from the menu in Cura. At each step, I would restart Cura, open the file, try to get it to work and it seemed to not like this file once it was replicated 5 times. Worked ok with just one model, but not 5. I have saved files this large before. But this one is a big pain.

As a side note...seriously? You cannot upload a zip file?

Here is a download link.

This is one zip with 2 logs. One before killing the config folder and one just now.

Spent a few hours on this and it is 5AM here....time to get a bit of sleep and I will look at it again tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, when this beta checks for a new version, what is it checking for? I am running the same beta from the first announcement and wonder if there has been a new release to test.

2 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Just out of curiosity, when this beta checks for a new version, what is it checking for? I am running the same beta from the first announcement and wonder if there has been a new release to test.

Possibly only checking for "Stable" version?  App checking for updates can be unreliable. I've done this when the developer's site (not necessarily the Cura one) says there's an update, and the App's internal check says there isn't.

Great update, but there is one thing missing for the adaptive layers.
    A Max Layer Thickness Option.

With a 0.4 Nozzle i never print thicker than 0.2mm

Default Layer of 0.2 Layer, and a Layer Variation of 0.15 it goes up to 0.35mm Layer thickness.

So there should be an option to only print thinner Layers so it won't go higher than the Default Layer Height.

1 hour ago, Barry37 said:

Possibly only checking for "Stable" version?  App checking for updates can be unreliable. I've done this when the developer's site (not necessarily the Cura one) says there's an update, and the App's internal check says there isn't.

That is what I figured. This is the first time I have felt comfortable enough to beta test Cura. Does the UM team let you know when a new testing build is available? I am not keen on the nightly builds as I have heard of them. But the next testing version would be nice to check out to see if some of the issues I am having are resolved or not.

4 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

nightly builds

I'm not even sure Ultimaker make the nightly builds public.

5 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Does the UM team let you know when a new testing build is available

Pretty sure they will post in here if a new build is made available (well hoping so) 

2 minutes ago, ChrisRiddell said:

Pretty sure they will post in here if a new build is made available (well hoping so) 

You n' me both! :p

On 1/28/2018 at 11:06 AM, Msuurmond said:

Did anyone already try the new 'multiple buildplate' feature? You can enable/disable it in the 'preferences', love to hear some feedback!

Must agree with the other use - the multiple build plate feature is not worth much, if you cant save all plates in one file.

• Like 1

When a beta version is made into a stable version, I usually mention it in the corresponding beta thread. Unless there are some ongoing discussions, I usually close the beta thread as well as the beta has expired. Partially also to ensure that feedback given on the stable version is shared in the launch post about the stable version, and not in the beta, what people might have gotten used to by then. 

After the stable, when there is a new Beta version again, we usually write a blog post and forum post about it :)

It's a very interesting update. Currently testing adaptive layers, can't find a way to visualise them on the Linux version? I'm only offered compatibility mode, nothing available in preferences or cura.cfg?

CuraLayerView.png

If you only see compatibility mode, your GPU (or the driver) does not support OpenGL 4.1.  Cura uses OpenGL 4.1 to show advanced features in Layer view. If the GPU does not support this version of OpenGL, it will fall back to OpenGL 2, at the cost of features such as visualising layer heights (and layer widths).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

If you only see compatibility mode, your GPU (or the driver) does not support OpenGL 4.1.  Cura uses OpenGL 4.1 to show advanced features in Layer view. If the GPU does not support this version of OpenGL, it will fall back to OpenGL 2, at the cost of features such as visualising layer heights (and layer widths).

That's the problem. I updated OpenGL via Oibaf's PPA but that only got as far as OpenGL 3.3. It turns out Sandybridge integrated GPUs don't support 4. I'll have to try it on my desktop with a discrete GPU.

I just downloaded Cura Version 3.2.0 and installed it on my Windows10 laptop.  Installation completed ok but when I run the program I get the following error message.   See inserted media.

Presentation1.jpg

Here is something odd:

OddSlice.thumb.jpg.be50eccdb418d70759db02bf2aa39837.jpg

They are all the same model multiplied and printed 5 up. All are printing fine without the hollow spot but that one. It is one piece of geometry for the ornament body and a generic ornament hook loop that are grouped together then placed and multiplied and then arranged. But, why the one printing a bit weird  and all others are ok?

Did you notice that "Adaptive layers maximum variation" does not work properly.

5a73a6c77f345_Beta3.2Adaptivelayersmax..thumb.JPG.2ee65094b861a4987b1a98c746151a60.JPG

Or is there a reason that it is wanted.

3 minutes ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

Did you notice that "Adaptive layers maximum variation" does not work properly.

5a73a6c77f345_Beta3.2Adaptivelayersmax..thumb.JPG.2ee65094b861a4987b1a98c746151a60.JPG

Or is there a reason that it is wanted.

Just had a quick look and it seems to be grabbing the initial layer height lowering that value then gave me the expected max layer height.

@ctbeke is this correct behavior?

Edited by ChrisRiddell
    • Like 2