Cura 3.2 Won't drop nozzle to Z offset

tjwitman

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.2 Won't drop nozzle to Z offset

I have just installed the new Cura 3.2 and tried it, after selecting the staggering amount of options!  I copied and pasted my starting and ending GCodes that have been working fine for two years.  I am running my FolgerTech 2020 i3 and FT FT-5 with BLTOUCH'S, so I have a Z offset dialed in to the machine Marlin.  Normally after the G29 command completes, the nozzle with drop to the zero position, hesitate and then go down the Z offset distance.  Now with Cura, it drops to Z=0 but never drops the offset amount before starting to print.  

Is there a setting deep within the Cura preferences and disables the Z offset?  I would think that since it's in the Marlin firmware, that Cura would have no control over that, yet if I go back to an older S3D print, everything is fine.  

What am I missing, please?  This is my starting GCode>

M140 S70

M280 P0 S160

G4 P5000 : wait for alarm reset to clear

M280 P0 S90 ;pin up

G28 ; home all axes

G29

G1 Z4

Tom

Edited by tjwitman

Posted · Cura 3.2 Won't drop nozzle to Z offset

I think we need to see what cura added next.  Up until it starts printing.  New and old cura.

Pay particular attention to G28 commands (maybe there is another one in the cura code coming up and you don't want that) and G92 commands (which tells Marlin - hey ignore where you think you are - now you are at this new position even though nothing moved).

Yes, something is definitely in there telling it to ignore offset command.  It homes G28 fine.  Under Preference/Printers/Machine Settings that is a topic "Gantry Height".  This one is a mystery but, perhaps, you have the option there to set an offset???

Moderators>>

I posted this in the wrong place.  I think it should be in the Ultimaker Software section.  Do I cross post it or can you move it?  I don't see where I can do it.

Thanks!

Hi @gr5 sorry but I think you are wrong about the G92 command; this physically moves the print bed but leaves Marlin (Repetier Host in my machine - maybe they are different?) thinking that it is in position. Lol I do realise I am in danger challenging such an august member but I have used G92 from my very first  print 4 years ago and that has always been what I have understood and seen. I would add that on my printer the nozzle does not drop, it is the bed that moves and it is one continuous movement (at least to the eye) not two separate operations.

Well that's what G92 does in Marlin.  Which is the most common firmware out there - I don't know anything about this guys printer though.

According to this document G92 does the same thing in repetier also but they could be wrong:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G92:_Set_Position

3 hours ago, tjwitman said:

Moderators>>

I posted this in the wrong place.  I think it should be in the Ultimaker Software section.  Do I cross post it or can you move it?  I don't see where I can do it.

Thanks!

done.  moved.

• Like 1

I don't use the G92 command in the starting GCode.  I was using Simplfy3D before seeing all that the new Cura has to offer and I thought I would give it a chance.  As for the Marlin I use, it is 1.1.0 RC3.  That's not the latest version but it's working so..................  :)  With S3D, an old version of Cura from 2 years ago and Repetier Host, I never did anything to have the nozzles drop down to the offset amount set in the firmware on EEPROM.  This 3.2 version seems to somehow remove that command or ignore it.  

Well my answer hasn't changed since my first reply here.  We need to see the output of both of your slicers - the entire top of the file up until and including the first printing move.

Oh, I had no Idea that's what you wanted!!!  No problem.  I'll put them in WordPad and send them to you shortly!  

Thanks

It was never clear to me what you meant in your first comment.  Sorry.

My GCode for the part in S3D without all of the comments that come first is>

G90
    M82
    M106 S0
    M140 S70
    M190 S70
    M104 S200 T0
    M109 S200 T0
    M140 S70
    M280 P0 S160
    M280 P0 S90 ;pin up 
    G28 ; home all axes
    G29
    G1 Z4
    G92 E0
    G1 E-1.0000 F1800
    G1 Z0.300 F1002
    ; layer 1, Z = 0.3
    T0
    ; tool H0.300 W0.480
    ; skirt
    G1 X30.360 Y46.014 F9000

And my GCode from Cura 3.2 is>

;FLAVOR:Marlin
    ;TIME:31562
    ;Filament used: 15.5688m
    ;Layer height: 0.2
    ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 3.1.0
    M190 S70
    M104 S210
    M109 S210
    M82 ; absolute extrusion mode
    M140 S70
    M280 P0 S160
    M280 P0 S90 ;pin up
    G28 ; home all axes
    G29
    G1 Z4
    ;LAYER_COUNT:364
    ;LAYER:0
    M107
    G0 F3000 X29.543 Y41.902 Z0.3
    ;TYPE:SKIRT
    G1 F2400 X30.052 Y41.558 E0.01522

Out of sheer frustration, I sliced the part again in Cura and S3D and ran the start up of each one on my machine.  BOTH worked normally!  I apologize for taking up your time.  I have no earthly idea why I had bad results on the previous compilation.  I need a good bottle of cabernet!!!

Thanks again.

Tom

4 hours ago, gr5 said:

Well that's what G92 does in Marlin.  Which is the most common firmware out there - I don't know anything about this guys printer though.

According to this document G92 does the same thing in repetier also but they could be wrong:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G92:_Set_Position

Hmn maybe we are both right! I confess I have never issued a G92 without a parameter, no idea what that does. I always issue a G92 with a Z parameter from my startup g-code to get the bed to nozzle distance right. I level without the glass plate in place and so if the G92 did not change the Z position there would be a big crash:)