Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Will Rau

Adjusting Print Speed Percentage

Hi there, 

I just got a quick question regarding UM3. During printing when I tune the speed percentage, does anyone know what print speed parameter does it change? Does it change all of the individual parameter (General Print Speed, Infill Speed, Wall Speed, Top/Bottom Speed) which I have set into the percentage I have set on the machine? Say if my setting in Cura was Print Speed 45mm/s, Infill 45mm/s, Wall 45 mm/s and Top/Bottom 35 mm/s. When I turn the knob to 70% does it change to Print Speed 31.5mm/s, Infill 31.5mm/s, Wall 31.5 mm/s and Top/Bottom 24.5 mm/s?

Going by Cura, in its menu selections of print speeds, there is a master print speed and then several others below that. I assumed that the manual speed adjustment you mentioned worked as a multiplier for all speeds as it does in Cura.

I could be wrong though.

The TUNE menu on the printer tells the firmware called "Marlin" to adjust all speeds by that amount.  So the answer is "yes".  It also affects retraction speed, z axis speeds, etc.  Each axis also has a max speed (typically 300mm/sec for x,y axes for example) and if the TUNE adjustment results in a speed over the max it will limit to the max speed instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gr5 said:

The TUNE menu on the printer tells the firmware called "Marlin" to adjust all speeds by that amount.  So the answer is "yes".  It also affects retraction speed, z axis speeds, etc.  Each axis also has a max speed (typically 300mm/sec for x,y axes for example) and if the TUNE adjustment results in a speed over the max it will limit to the max speed instead.

Thanks alot!! That was what I was wondering about. It can't be just adjusting a few values only under the speed section right. It should be proportionally adjusting all values based on limitation and percentage. Thanks for all the help.