Please: Make rotation work (right)

hoegge

Posted · Please: Make rotation work (right)

When you zoom in on something rotation becomes useless. E.g. see video below. When you rotate zoomed in the things fly out of the window. Please zoom, rotate and pan like any other CAD program - use e.g. Fusion 360 as an example. It should not act weird in a slicer like CURA, it does not make sense. It should be easy to inspect parts after slicing. Someone in (from Ultimaker I think) wrote, he did not like the way traditional CAD works, which is why it is as it is. But the rest of the world do and most people work in CAD before they print their 3D items. And since you need to verify that slicing is ok in all details before printing, you should make the tool easy to use and have the same feel as the CAD programs. I simply don't understand how such crazy rotation functionality could find its way into CURA.

PS: And then please make the rendering faster. It is just too slow when you visualize the layers

PPS: And please automatic shift between solid view and layer view - go to layer, when you have sliced and back when layers disappear. 

video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tzx98ochfj5jx9/crazy rotation.mp4?dl=0 

22 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Hi hoegge,

You'll need to use the "windows mouse standard"; push wheel button, then you can move the whole model up and down to fit your view.

Thanks

Torgeir

Seriously - you're not serious? I know how it works - it does not work very well. That's the point. When you rotate after having zoomed in things fly off the screen. Also the zoom function has very large steps the closer you get to the object.

@hoegge

I watched the video.  I couldn't duplicate that crazy behavior.  When I rotate it ALWAYS rotates about the center of the print bed.  So if my part is in the middle (like your benchy) then rotate works fine.  But if I put my part in a corner then it sucks - just like your video.

How do you zoom?  How do you rotate?  I rotate with right-click-drag.  Do you have some other way to rotate?

I don't have a mouse wheel or middle mouse button so I zoom with the plus key: "+".  It doesn't matter where my mouse is when I zoom in that way - this might be a key to why we see different results.

@gr5  It for sure does not rotate around the center of the bed - nor does it zoom towards the center of the bed. It zooms to and rotates around the center of the build volume - i.e. a lot above the parts you want to print. When you have zoomed in the rotation is around some point somewhere behind the build volume and becomes "erratic" since the build volume then flies out of the view port. It really needs an overhaul.

Posted (edited) · Please: Make rotation work (right)

I want to get this nomenclature correct:

Rotate= turn object around on its own pivot point

Orbit = Spin entire scene around viewing area

If you orbit the scene, then it orbits using the center of the buildplate and not the object. If you rotate the object, it stays in place, rotate tool stays same size relative to the window at the pivot point.

So, are you complaining about orbit or rotating?

Advanced programs let you choose whether to orbit about the scene to get to another area quickly or to orbit around the selected object. They both have usefulness.

Edited by kmanstudios
    typlexia

I am talking about changing view - orbiting. Examining the build plate by moving my point of view. Not rotation of the object relatively to the plate.

The orbiting does not spine the scene around the center of the build plate, that is pretty obvious. When zoomed out it spins around the center of the build volume not the plate. When zoomed in it orbits around some points behind the build volume.

Zoom in towards a point seems to work fine, although the steps become way to big the closer you get

Zoom out does not work like other programs. Behaves oppositely to what you would expect. Moves away from the area where the mouse pointer is instead of towards. Probably because it is the opposite of zooming in, but it should not be.

The crazy orbit only happens when the "zoom towards mouse pointer" is turned on in the preferences. 

Would be more useful if the center of zoom and orbiting was the point you put your mouse pointer on when starting the motion

Thank you for clarifying as your original post was confusing as to what you meant because I rotate with no issues, but have noticed the orbiting is a bit odd. That is why I wanted to make sure we were comparing apples to apples.

1 hour ago, hoegge said:

The crazy orbit only happens when the "zoom towards mouse pointer" is turned on in the preferences. 

Yes thats what I experienced as well as I wanted Cura to behave the same as my CAD tool.  Zooming,rotating got really funky and I turned it off again. 

I have the same issues with cura!! lol, thats why i don't rotate or zoom in into much! rotating the object also raised it in cura for some reason? but seeing as i have drop to build plate selected, it makes no difference. I don't really ever use layer views to be honest, apart from checking if my manual support are big enough to print. Thats about it. I try to examine my model in my 3d software to make sure all is well. But i guess everyone has their own methods, I tend to do things differently and still use really old versions of cura, while some people seem to 'upgrade' with every release. 

Posted (edited) · Please: Make rotation work (right)
    2 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

I want to get this nomenclature correct:

Rotate= turn object around on its own pivot point

Orbit = Spin entire scene around viewing area

If you orbit the scene, then it orbits using the center of the buildplate and not the object. If you rotate the object, it stays in place, rotate tool stays same size relative to the window at the pivot point.

So, are you complaining about orbit or rotating?

Advanced programs let you choose whether to orbit about the scene to get to another area quickly or to orbit around the selected object. They both have usefulness.

This is not the behavior I experience.

I am very much on the same page as @hoegge on this.  It is very difficult to rotate a model and have it stay in view.  Much less have the sensitivity it should have to zoom and rotate on fine details of the slice paths.  Several times, the model and build plate has been tossed off into space to some unknown location where it can only be recovered by reloading.  Is there, or should there be a 'view fit" button to reset?  My feeling is that the pan and rotate inputs are resolved with very low resolution. EDIT Or maybe the pivot center is mistakenly at some distance from the model thereby exaggerating the inputs?  This coming form a non-programmer, but very long term CAD user.  No program I have used acts like Cura.  The default pivot centering behavior is not predictable.  I must say though that I have not experienced higher releases than 3.0.3.  I am really happy to read that the new beta 3.2 has introduced orthographic views that shuld be a help for slice inspection.

I should say that I have not had a problem rotating a part in reference to the build plate, only pan and rotating the overall view.

Edited by mastory

1 hour ago, mastory said:

I should say that I have not had a problem rotating a part in reference to the build plate, only pan and rotating the overall view.

then youa re having trouble with orbiting the model, not rotation. It is a difference that is important when reporting an issue.

7 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Thank you for clarifying as your original post was confusing as to what you meant because I rotate with no issues, but have noticed the orbiting is a bit odd. That is why I wanted to make sure we were comparing apples to apples.

No problem - thanks for asking. But think it is pretty clear, that the functionality is a bit “broken” when enabling zoom to pointer. Would be nice to have it work like normal 3D CAD programs do.

Ah!  Okay I was able to duplicate the issue by checking the box "zoom towards mouse direction".

Well turn that off!  That's the whole problem.  With that turned off it works much better.

Having said that, I would love it if the cura engineers would make it so the orbit features pays attention to where the mouse is and orbits around where the mouse is instead of around the part.  Same with the "+" keyboard key when zooming - that also ignores the position of the mouse even when I check the box mentioned in the first line of this post.

Also I have a 3d mouse.  I absolutely love my 3d mouse.  It would be great if cura supported that.

54 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Well turn that off!

But that's exactly the check box, which should lead to the behaviour we all want :O

57 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Also I have a 3d mouse.  I absolutely love my 3d mouse.  It would be great if cura supported that.

+1 

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

+2

6 hours ago, gr5 said:

+1

19 minutes ago, mastory said:

+1

Oh...I thought we were counting up....duuuuhhhhhh.......   ;p

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

+1

I don't know how many times a day I am happily orbiting the 3D scene in my 3D app using my SpacePilot and then move the mouse over to the Cura window and reflexively torque on the SP knob expecting to orbit the print bed scene.  Takes me a couple of torques for the brain to remember that don't work.

@ahoeben take note:

1) feature request - 3d mouse support (how hard could it be?) :)

2) Also there is a bug if you uncheck  "zoom towards mouse direction" and then you orbit the field of view - it orbits around a pivot point in the rear corner.  Even if you don't actually zoom (I think).  Certainly if you zoom only with the "+" button on the keyboard it still messes up the pivot orbit point.

Note I am just an external contributor...

oh.  Right.  I get people confused.    @ghostkeeper - please take note - my post just above this one.

Noted. It's been requested before and attempted before, but we didn't manage to get it right.

"Just" replicate how Slic3r Prusa Edition works - smooth, fast and easy - (and high frame-rate in layer preview ;-) )- Then I think everybody would be happy.

Sheesh!  Same issue. I will immediately turn off the mouse zoom setting!